The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Chopper & Bobber Talk
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Chopper & Bobber Talk Talk about your Sportster motorcycle chopper or bobber!!.

Members Birthdays
jdhickm (82), Chip (69), Chief4x4 (67), willyobiker (65), CBryant (64), XLCH69 (61), sage (58), VettesRule (55), jerseyjeff (55), TheExecutioner (52), SalTheWop (52), manic_mechanic, pauldmedic16 (43), BluegrassXL (39), Superman
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1998
cotton1 has a reputation beyond reputecotton1 has a reputation beyond reputecotton1 has a reputation beyond reputecotton1 has a reputation beyond reputecotton1 has a reputation beyond reputecotton1 has a reputation beyond reputecotton1 has a reputation beyond reputecotton1 has a reputation beyond reputecotton1 has a reputation beyond reputecotton1 has a reputation beyond reputecotton1 has a reputation beyond repute

Id sure like to see how it looks on the stock rake,in due time..
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Road King (FLHP)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
lowerider is just really nicelowerider is just really nicelowerider is just really nicelowerider is just really nicelowerider is just really nicelowerider is just really nicelowerider is just really nicelowerider is just really nicelowerider is just really nicelowerider is just really nicelowerider is just really nice

Mocked up the bike with the old springer from Craigslist to see how it looks. This is a +6 (or +7?) front end, on a 21" front wheel. Doesn't look to bad.

But I'm holding to my original vision of a longer front end, smaller wheel, and a couple inches up/out stretch on the frame. So the front end will be sold, and a new frame + front end ordered online. While waiting for those to arrive, I can continue the tear down and engine removal, to get it all ready.

I am now re-thinking the whole "no front brake" thing. By going with the remote cable-operated master cylinder, I can still have a clean handlebar setup and not sacrifice stopping power in an emergency.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

cotton1 has a reputation beyond reputecotton1 has a reputation beyond reputecotton1 has a reputation beyond reputecotton1 has a reputation beyond reputecotton1 has a reputation beyond reputecotton1 has a reputation beyond reputecotton1 has a reputation beyond reputecotton1 has a reputation beyond reputecotton1 has a reputation beyond reputecotton1 has a reputation beyond reputecotton1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it looks cool. For me, a front brake is something I use too much to give up for a look. I wont knock you if you do not use a front brake either though. To each his own.

Did you just prop the front end up or is it sitting at the angle you are going for?

If shipping wasn't so costly I would tell you to send the springer to me. Seems like every thing I have tried to buy from forum folks lately the shipping has pushed it over the edge.

Anyways, I like that you have a vision and are sticking to it!

Cotton1
Old 1 Week Ago
Biker

lowerider is just really nicelowerider is just really nicelowerider is just really nicelowerider is just really nicelowerider is just really nicelowerider is just really nicelowerider is just really nicelowerider is just really nicelowerider is just really nicelowerider is just really nicelowerider is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton1 View Post
...Did you just prop the front end up or is it sitting at the angle you are going for?

If shipping wasn't so costly I would tell you to send the springer to me. Seems like every thing I have tried to buy from forum folks lately the shipping has pushed it over the edge.
Cotton1 - I'd love to ship this thing out to you however since I am waaay out here in Seattle, the cost most likely will be pretty prohibitive.

Besides, this one most likely will not work for what you are going for. I contacted Paughco to see if this is one of their front ends, and it is. It is a model 180-9 (9-over narrow w/ half-round rear legs). It was built in June, 1997. It is very narrow (only about 3 1/2" at the narrowest point, between the rocker bolts, at the axle). That is too narrow for anything other than a narrow spooler wheel. You may be able to find a little mini-drum setup but I've read those do not have much stopping power.

I've decided to clean this thing up and re-post it on Craigslist. I don't do Ebay...

This will then allow me to go back to the original plan of getting a 12-over springer (Paughco #179-12), matched with a 2" out, 4" up, 40 deg rake rigid frame (Paughco #120EB24), and all the fixin's that go along with that combo.

That particular springer model is still considered narrow, but has a minimum width of 5", which allows for a front disc brake on a narrow wheel.

And to answer your earlier question re: the mock up: the bike was propped up at a height that was close to a normal stance, then I just laid the front end on top of the neck and balanced it on the hub of the front wheel, then quickly took a pic before it all came crashing down...
Old 6 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Long forks are the deal no doubt. I will probably wish I went that way on my project, but I am taking baby steps. Im glad you got all the parts you need sorted out and lined up from Paughco! Is all the rake going to be in the neck, or will you have raked trees to?

Speaking of rake, you mentioned a calculator somewhere. I may be in need of that..trying to figure out down tube length needed for 36deg of rake. Im currently at 33deg and my trail is 6inches. Planning on going with +3deg triples to bring the trail back to factory(it handles different at 6in, but is liveable fwiw) and since I want a little bit more extension between the frame and the tire.

Cotton1
Old 4 Days Ago
Biker

Here's the link to that rake + trail calculator. http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/advchoppercalc.html

Good idea on reducing the 6" trail. Does it flop over easily? That's been a problem on other bikes for me, but it doesn't have to be that way.

Attached is a fuzzy pic (not sure what's up with the camera on my phone...) on the sporty teardown. I have to admit it's fun pulling this thing apart. I'm labeling all the connectors and some of the mystery parts, such as the "bank angle sensor". Didn't know I had on of those!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ZtPVFb]
Sponsored Links
Old 4 Days Ago
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: none
Sportster/Buell Year: 0
jimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of light

I really like where this is going. Someday I want to build something like this but only with a hard tail stretched rearward as well.
Old 4 Days Ago
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyess333 View Post
I really like where this is going. Someday I want to build something like this but only with a hard tail stretched rearward as well.
I've seen that in a few different builds. Do you stretch it out rearward for more legroom, or just for a more low-slung look (or both?)

I'm about 6' and don't want my knees stickin' up, so I was going to go with forward controls.
Old 3 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Enjoying the calculator, thanks for that! I posted in the wrong thread about it last night According to that if I stick with my plan of adding the 3degree triples to my bike I will need +6 or even +8 tubes! I still need to take the measurements out and study on it a bit before I order anything, but was surprised to see that. All of the trail measurements that I had taken previously on my bike matched pretty close to the values given by the calculator, so it must be pretty close!

FWIW, my factory trail measurement was 4.75 inches. If I go with the 3 degree triples(along with the 3degree cups) and +6 tubes my trail will be back to 4.42 inches by the calculator. My wheelbase will move out by 4.3 inches.

Also 6', forwards-Yes!

Cotton1