The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
cbsportster (67), sjeccles (50), 2011_Nightster (50), reeb (47), Maff (47), jl_rotary (40), UMLsilva (32)
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd March 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1200LT
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
spanner_rash is on a distinguished roadspanner_rash is on a distinguished roadspanner_rash is on a distinguished roadspanner_rash is on a distinguished road
Default Belgom Alu ? Or is there a better alternative for British weather?

Anyone else in Europe using Belgom Alu?

I stripped all the paint off the risers and handlebar clamp on my 883, polished the heck out of the ally to mirror finish, then hand finished the job with Belgom Alu. The blurb on the bottle says long lasting wax finish to protect the metal. I was caught out in the rain for the last 30 minutes of my journey home, cleaned the bike off with a chamois leather, and garaged it. Next day, it looked like I hadn't paid any attention to my ally for months. I even have a de-humidifier running 24/7 in the garage,!
I don't splurt WD-40 all over my alloy because I find it a git to remove. I do use AutoGlym polish and wax polish, and find these pretty good, but it's like painting the Forth bridge.
Have I wasted £8.50 or am I doing something wrong?
Old 23rd March 2008
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHTCUSE4
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
hobbituk will become famous soon enoughhobbituk will become famous soon enoughhobbituk will become famous soon enoughhobbituk will become famous soon enoughhobbituk will become famous soon enoughhobbituk will become famous soon enoughhobbituk will become famous soon enough

nothing wrong the Belgom should work i am surprised it has not.
I polished the forks on my last bike (metric) and even after riding in the salt and crud for weeks the forks still lloked good despite the bike being dirty, no white spots or furring on the polished forks just washed and blow dryed the bike and reapplied the Belgom job done
Old 23rd March 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1984
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R80ST
Other Motorcycle Year: 1984
DEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond repute

I use turtle wax metal polish and the good old solvol but if you use autoglym try their metal polish for alloy? it is in most large halfords.

Blue belt in Serious tea drinking.