The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
fhilliard (77), paulmo (73), Beloved (47), Mr. Cro (47), Chopper Duke (39), Danny3nose (37)
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th March 2008
Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

If it matters...I just got our Sporty on the road for the first time this year since being put away for the winter. No fuel stabilizer, no cover, but it was in the garage and on a battery tender. All I had to do was hit the start button a couple times, let her warm up, and was able to ride away.

I REALLY needed to get out on the road as I was going crazy waiting for the temperature to get warm enough.
Old 15th March 2008
Chief Harley Engineer

supercharger will become famous soon enoughsupercharger will become famous soon enoughsupercharger will become famous soon enoughsupercharger will become famous soon enoughsupercharger will become famous soon enoughsupercharger will become famous soon enough

CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE.

CHECK YOUR BRAKE FLUID.

Those are critical checks to make. Most tires that sit a few months will lose some pressure. The brakes and fluid should be checked for anything out of spec.

Everything else should be checked periodically like your oil and fasteners, but those things won't kill you if they are needing attention.

Your tires and brakes can.

"That horse ain't dead till I get through with it"
Old 16th March 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Billsxl1200c has a spectacular aura aboutBillsxl1200c has a spectacular aura aboutBillsxl1200c has a spectacular aura aboutBillsxl1200c has a spectacular aura aboutBillsxl1200c has a spectacular aura aboutBillsxl1200c has a spectacular aura aboutBillsxl1200c has a spectacular aura aboutBillsxl1200c has a spectacular aura aboutBillsxl1200c has a spectacular aura aboutBillsxl1200c has a spectacular aura aboutBillsxl1200c has a spectacular aura about

Before I store my bike I change the oil, fill the tank, add stabil, make sure they are cleaned and waxed, connect the battery tender and put the cover on. In spring I check the fluids, PSI (tire condition), and just a general visual then, I'm off and riding.

So far, so good!
Old 16th March 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

XLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this pointXLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this pointXLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this pointXLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this pointXLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this pointXLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this pointXLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this pointXLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this pointXLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this pointXLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this pointXLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a lot for all the info... and insight. Fluids and tire pressure check were on my list of stuff I would need to do, but thanks for the reminders.

Here in the middle of Ia, most all of the snow is gone, however the streets are still loaded with sand, and of course the potholes are really going to be a problem. Hope the rain that is predicted for tomorrow will wash some of the sand away.

It won't be long now....
Old 16th March 2008
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
SpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond repute

Must be nice to "only" worry about sand....we have salt here to contend with. And the potholes. I'm getting mine out today and bring her home (yeah I know, but my buddy has a LARGE pole barn and I can park the van inside my garage during winter) to start going over a few things. We should be getting some rain early next week that should remove the rest of the salt. I hate that crap!!

"If you're looking for sympathy, you can find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis."

Old Bubba of the Booze Junkies MC
Old 16th March 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Billsxl1200c has a spectacular aura aboutBillsxl1200c has a spectacular aura aboutBillsxl1200c has a spectacular aura aboutBillsxl1200c has a spectacular aura aboutBillsxl1200c has a spectacular aura aboutBillsxl1200c has a spectacular aura aboutBillsxl1200c has a spectacular aura aboutBillsxl1200c has a spectacular aura aboutBillsxl1200c has a spectacular aura aboutBillsxl1200c has a spectacular aura aboutBillsxl1200c has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekster View Post
Thanks a lot for all the info... and insight. Fluids and tire pressure check were on my list of stuff I would need to do, but thanks for the reminders.

Here in the middle of Ia, most all of the snow is gone, however the streets are still loaded with sand, and of course the potholes are really going to be a problem. Hope the rain that is predicted for tomorrow will wash some of the sand away.

It won't be long now....
Trekster,

I took my Sporty out on Thursday, the temp was in the high 50's and it was great to be riding again! On Saturday it was a little cooler but my local dealer was having a big sale with raffles so I took a ride there, I even won a Harley jacket.

Hang in there, spring is around the corner.
Old 16th March 2008
Know It All

thomasf59 is on a distinguished roadthomasf59 is on a distinguished roadthomasf59 is on a distinguished road

I like to start mine up after a long winters nap and drink a beer while she warms up a little before that first ride.
Old 16th March 2008

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883H/1200H
Sportster/Buell Year: '96
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000 w/elec. leg too
Sportster/Buell Year #2: '72
sportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
It was 27 today and was supposed to get to about 50 today. I hadn't rode the bike since Dec 26. No stabilizer or battery tender. I just fired up the bike once a week (it wouldn't start if it was under 30).

It is generally accepted that starting it regularly without warming enough to blow out the condensation does more harm than good, but you didn't specify how hot it gets. This is for those that may not realize your engine should get a decent run up to temperature, and sitting still without air movement isn't good either.
Political Correctness never killed any terrorists.
Sponsored Links
Old 17th March 2008

Moved On / My Own Choice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
It was 27 today and was supposed to get to about 50 today. I hadn't rode the bike since Dec 26. No stabilizer or battery tender. I just fired up the bike once a week (it wouldn't start if it was under 30).
CD your comment concerns me. What good do you think you're doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportysrock View Post
It is generally accepted that starting it regularly without warming enough to blow out the condensation does more harm than good, but you didn't specify how hot it gets. This is for those that may not realize your engine should get a decent run up to temperature, and sitting still without air movement isn't good either.
Absolutely SR I agree 100%
Old 18th March 2008

XLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this pointXLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this pointXLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this pointXLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this pointXLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this pointXLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this pointXLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this pointXLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this pointXLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this pointXLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this pointXLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this point

It is generally accepted that starting it regularly without warming enough to blow out the condensation does more harm than good, but you didn't specify how hot it gets.

That is what I've always heard too. As tempting as it was, through these long winter months, I did not start it - just to have it run in the garage for a few minutes.

Now, with the economy in the tank, I hope I can afford to ride it when the time comes.