The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th December 2017
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 95 XL883
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda Helix (2 of them)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1994
XL Sportster will become famous soon enoughXL Sportster will become famous soon enoughXL Sportster will become famous soon enoughXL Sportster will become famous soon enoughXL Sportster will become famous soon enoughXL Sportster will become famous soon enoughXL Sportster will become famous soon enough
Default 95 Sportster will only run 85 mph.

Just bought a near pristine, totally stock 95 XL883 Standard with 2000 original miles. It runs great up to 70mph but I cannot get it over 85mph top speed. I had a new 74 XLCH that would run 109 and a 69 XLH with windshield and bags that the speedometer showed 115 with my wife on the back. I've owned a number of Sportsters and never had one this slow. Maybe it will get faster when it gets more miles on it? My dealer says they need to rich up the carb and a less restrictive air filter etc, I didn't need that on my other Sportsters for them to hit 100mph. Please help.
Old 13th December 2017
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CB
Sportster/Buell Year: 2015
Other Motorcycle Model: CRF250L
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Is the throttle adjusted so that it'll fully open?

There is nothing at the end of any road better than may be found beside it. Edward Thomas (1878 - 1917)
Old 13th December 2017
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 95 XL883
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda Helix (2 of them)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1994
XL Sportster will become famous soon enoughXL Sportster will become famous soon enoughXL Sportster will become famous soon enoughXL Sportster will become famous soon enoughXL Sportster will become famous soon enoughXL Sportster will become famous soon enoughXL Sportster will become famous soon enough

YES-----It just won't pick up speed in 5th. In 4th it will run up quicker but without a tach I.m afraid of over revving it.
Old 13th December 2017
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Brianharristattoo has much to be proud ofBrianharristattoo has much to be proud ofBrianharristattoo has much to be proud ofBrianharristattoo has much to be proud ofBrianharristattoo has much to be proud ofBrianharristattoo has much to be proud ofBrianharristattoo has much to be proud ofBrianharristattoo has much to be proud ofBrianharristattoo has much to be proud ofBrianharristattoo has much to be proud ofBrianharristattoo has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL Sportster View Post
YES-----It just won't pick up speed in 5th. In 4th it will run up quicker but without a tach I.m afraid of over revving it.

Does it have adjustable pushrods? Sounds like a tuneup and compression health check

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14th December 2017
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883 Blue
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1997
Other Motorcycle Model: A pile of Ninja 250's
Other Motorcycle Year: 1988
VaFish has a reputation beyond reputeVaFish has a reputation beyond reputeVaFish has a reputation beyond reputeVaFish has a reputation beyond reputeVaFish has a reputation beyond reputeVaFish has a reputation beyond reputeVaFish has a reputation beyond reputeVaFish has a reputation beyond reputeVaFish has a reputation beyond reputeVaFish has a reputation beyond reputeVaFish has a reputation beyond repute

It should have a rev limiter. Rev it up in 4th before you up shift to 5th.
Old 14th December 2017
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883►1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
IXL2Relax has disabled reputation

This is THE BEST Sportster Resource!

Take a minute, right now, and please put at least your state/country in the LOCATION FIELD of your profile so we can better help you when you need it... (the STATE FIELD does not show on posts)...

CLICK HERE - then scroll down to 'Additional Information' and look for the field labeled 'LOCATION' - put your information in there - It will then show on each post you make... Look for this:

Post a PICTURE of your ride... Host the image on a photo website (but not photobucket.com), get the link with the "[IMG][/IMG] tags" included & paste that directly into your posting (If you don't have the "[IMG][/IMG] tags" included, then use the Image Insert icon along with the web address of the image)...

There are various sections to the XLForum - You can pick a section that is related to your problem/info, open that section and read the sticky threads on the first page - Then post your comment in an existing thread or create a new one to get information for your specific question... For new threads, make the title specific to your problem or info...

This is the index of sections:
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/index.php

You might be interested in this thread:
Just Bought A Used Sportster - Checklists For Making It Right

The Sportsterpedia has a lot of technical info to review:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start

You should read the entire SP section on the CV40 carb:
Sportsterpedia - Getting Ready to Tune Your CV40 Carb

IXL 2 Relax
>>>> My Build & Ride Reports Are Here <<<<
Old 14th December 2017
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 11 RK
Other Motorcycle Model: 72 Triumph Daytona
ChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond repute

Stock petcock? I was gifted a pretty chrome (Chinese) one once that could not deliver enough fuel. Stumbled at WOT. Replaced it with a higher quality one, problem solved.
Old 14th December 2017
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
harley506d is an unknown quantity at this point

Weird, are you gently gaining speed or are you opening throttle wide open? If gently, you may still be on the needle and maybe a blocked main jet, or you may even find the main lying in the bottom of float bowl. What happens when it will not go any faster? does it stutter or stay clean? If you are on wide open throttle does it get better if you close throttle slightly? Take air filter off and double check you are getting full throttle movement.
Old 14th December 2017
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: To many to list.....
geezer is a jewel in the roughgeezer is a jewel in the roughgeezer is a jewel in the roughgeezer is a jewel in the roughgeezer is a jewel in the roughgeezer is a jewel in the roughgeezer is a jewel in the roughgeezer is a jewel in the roughgeezer is a jewel in the roughgeezer is a jewel in the roughgeezer is a jewel in the rough

A few years back my brother bought a 2003 883 and complained of the same thing. He was getting great fuel milage out of it....turned out to be a split diapham in the carb, fuel milage is not so good now
Old 14th December 2017
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
harley506d is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, nice one Geezer. That's something else to check while the air cleaners off. Make sure the slide goes up and down smoothly.