The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
jdhickm (82), Chip (69), Chief4x4 (67), willyobiker (65), CBryant (64), XLCH69 (61), sage (58), VettesRule (55), jerseyjeff (55), TheExecutioner (52), SalTheWop (52), manic_mechanic, pauldmedic16 (43), BluegrassXL (39), Superman
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st January 2010
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Enfield Mini Bullet
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
brett7777 is a jewel in the roughbrett7777 is a jewel in the roughbrett7777 is a jewel in the roughbrett7777 is a jewel in the roughbrett7777 is a jewel in the roughbrett7777 is a jewel in the roughbrett7777 is a jewel in the roughbrett7777 is a jewel in the roughbrett7777 is a jewel in the roughbrett7777 is a jewel in the roughbrett7777 is a jewel in the rough
Default road king shocks

im seriously thinkin now that i will go with road king shocks and 1" lowering blocks, then i will get the 11" shock height i want, but with the better ride.
couple of questions:
1. are standard road king shocks 12" ?
2. spacers needed on an 03? (to clear beltguard)
3. what do u do with the airlines?
4. how do u pump them up / lower them? what device do u use?
Thanks
Old 21st January 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Takingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of light

I believe the Road king, like the Electra glide use 13.5 shocks, the Street glide and the Road king custom use the shorter 12.5.
Old 21st January 2010
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond repute

In the Suspension Sticky Index, read the "7 Pages of Suspension". There are links to information about the RK air shocks.
Former Ricor test rider for IAS Shocks, Intiminators and Vibranators. Works Dual Rate fork springs, fork brace, Avon Venom X tires, loosen drive belt, and set frame rails level to floor. Read the "7 Pages of Suspension" thread in the Suspension Sticky Index to learn how to fix your suspension.
Old 21st January 2010
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
Peg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of lightPeg Scraper is a glorious beacon of light

Here's what I did with the air lines.
Road King Stainless airline covers.

As for pumps, get one thats like the
Harley-Davidson Suspension Air Pump- 54630-03A
They can found on eBay for cheap.

Have a read through this thread.
Road King Shock Install Pictures
Old 21st January 2010
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 95
95 sporty will become famous soon enough95 sporty will become famous soon enough95 sporty will become famous soon enough95 sporty will become famous soon enough95 sporty will become famous soon enough95 sporty will become famous soon enough95 sporty will become famous soon enough95 sporty will become famous soon enough

I have some stock Road King shocks that are 11.75" eye to eye.They are considered 11 1/2".I picked them up on Ebay for $40 and they don't leak air.I believe they come in 12 1/2" and 11 1/2" .
Old 21st January 2010
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 09
Tater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to all

The ones I got, because they were brand new and within 20 mi. of me & $40 were as per the sellers measurements 12-3/4" eye to eye, I just put them on and added schrader valves & air and all has seemed well so far, and yes I had to use spacers as I think most do...
Have a good one...Tater...
Viking Shock Cutout Saddlebags, Mustang Seat, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, SuperBrace...
Old 21st January 2010
Flat Track Champion

brett7777 is a jewel in the roughbrett7777 is a jewel in the roughbrett7777 is a jewel in the roughbrett7777 is a jewel in the roughbrett7777 is a jewel in the roughbrett7777 is a jewel in the roughbrett7777 is a jewel in the roughbrett7777 is a jewel in the roughbrett7777 is a jewel in the roughbrett7777 is a jewel in the roughbrett7777 is a jewel in the rough
Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg Scraper View Post
As for pumps, get one thats like the
Harley-Davidson Suspension Air Pump- 54630-03A
They can found on eBay for cheap.

Have a read through this thread.
Road King Shock Install Pictures
Thanks. A great thread with very helpful pics.
I would like to find some 11.5 or 12" chrome ones, and then put them with a 1" lowering block.
Old 21st January 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
colonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett7777 View Post
im seriously thinkin now that i will go with road king shocks and 1" lowering blocks, then i will get the 11" shock height i want, but with the better ride.
couple of questions:
1. are standard road king shocks 12" ?
2. spacers needed on an 03? (to clear beltguard)
3. what do u do with the airlines?
4. how do u pump them up / lower them? what device do u use?
Thanks
standard RK are 13" or so
i used 2 washers on 3 and 3 washers on the lower right side
electa glide shocks are 12"
i hid mine under the seat and have the filler valve to the front right of my seat
i use a progressive suspensions pump its lower pressure so it more accurate after all they only get pumped to about 10psi so why have a pump that goes to 60
Old 21st January 2010
Flat Track Champion

Default glides

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelangus View Post
standard RK are 13" or so
i used 2 washers on 3 and 3 washers on the lower right side
electa glide shocks are 12"
i hid mine under the seat and have the filler valve to the front right of my seat
i use a progressive suspensions pump its lower pressure so it more accurate after all they only get pumped to about 10psi so why have a pump that goes to 60
so im lookin for glide take-offs...thanks!
yeh makes sense bout the pump.
so u can pretty much put the lines and valve anywhere, that's good
what about my mini compressor that u plug into the cig lighter? would that work?
is the valve a standard car tyre connection?
I already have 1/4" spacers on for my existing dyna shocks - should be bout right for clearance?
Sponsored Links
Old 21st January 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R1150R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
bigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett7777 View Post
so im lookin for glide take-offs...thanks!
yeh makes sense bout the pump.
so u can pretty much put the lines and valve anywhere, that's good
what about my mini compressor that u plug into the cig lighter? would that work?
is the valve a standard car tyre connection?
I already have 1/4" spacers on for my existing dyna shocks - should be bout right for clearance?
To me, a mini compressor would be too much. All you need is a bike pump. I got one at Wally World for $10 and its about 8 inches long so I can stuff it in my bags.

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
Marquis de la Grange (1639 - 1692)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]