The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
gp9739 (73), danbango (70), andyman1958 (59), 55 Jr (56), Love2FixIt (48), keywan (46), C Dubya (43), CA71xlch (42)
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th May 2009
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
supr2nr is on a distinguished roadsupr2nr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder rick View Post
Why do riders feel the need to defend the fact that they have chosen to run an part on their bike that leaves copious amounts of power on the table and causes tuning problems? It's OK that you have made that choice.
Your choice is your choice, there is no need to defend that choice.
At the same time it is NOT good etiquette to try and tell someone that something that is not the best is OK!
What is good for you, may not be good for them.
So you are in fact giving bad advice.
Give the person all the information and let them make their choice.

It's a known and documented fact that open pipes are not the best choice for the street.

I HATE OPEN EXHAUST! As a professed tuner open exhaust makes me look bad, because I can't always tune around it.

Put what ever you want on your bike, if you have problems be prepared to bite the bullet. And whatever you do, don't blame your tuner when you go against advice.
I'm sorry were your comments aimed at me?
Old 15th May 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 78
IronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura about

I run 2.95 and 70 in mine with drags and lollipops on my 78. Regardless of some oppinions it runs top notch with this set up. I am also right on the coast, that will make a differance on the jetting.
Old 15th May 2009
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
Other Motorcycle Model: Springer Softtail
Other Motorcycle Year: 89'
1976 XL is on a distinguished road1976 XL is on a distinguished road

Hey Supr2nr I've Got A Super E And Drags On Mine, And The Sound Is Awesome, Along With The Smooth Looks. Like You I'm More Of A Cruiser Than A Speed Freak. I've Had Several Compliments On The Looks And Sound, Along With A Few Frowns And Fingers(i'm Sure), From Neighbors (early Morning Wake-up Calls).
Old 15th May 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
biknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to behold

With drag pipes I would start out with 28/68

A 28 will probably work well but you'll have to find the right main. It's unlikely you'll need less than a 66 or bigger than a 70.

Iron heads aren't as sensitive to drag pipes as Evo's, because the tall piston domes tend to block some of the reversion.

If you're buying a new Super E it will probably have an adjustable air bleed jet. Super E's tend to run rich in the mid range. The air bleed jet allows you to lean out the mid range. A bigger air bleed jet causes the main jet to come on at higher rpm.
Completely stock except for, Branch #5 heads & 10.5:1 JE pistons, Red Shift V531 cams, S&S Super E, ThunderJet, V&H Sideshots, S&S Flywheels, Dyna 2000i, Stortz 55mm Inverted Fork, JMC Swingarm, Works Performance 12.5" Shocks, PM 4 Piston, PM wheels, 18 x 150 R tire, Custom Belt Drive Conversion, Still Has Original Nut Behind The Bars
Old 15th May 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
tensejed is a name known to alltensejed is a name known to alltensejed is a name known to alltensejed is a name known to alltensejed is a name known to alltensejed is a name known to alltensejed is a name known to alltensejed is a name known to alltensejed is a name known to alltensejed is a name known to alltensejed is a name known to all

well this is from 30 yrs ago but i bought a new sporty then a new ss carb . eirther the ss carb or the sporty was going in the trash. i think the stock was a kehehin and it worked perfectly even with the drags
Old 15th May 2009
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 71 xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 73
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 74 xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 74
Other Motorcycle Model: BT rigid hand shift
fergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of light

71 xlch 900 S&S E (was on the bike when I pushed it out of the farm field in Wisconsin) and drags pipes

28 intermediate 68 main

bike runs superb
Old 15th May 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: FXSTC
Other Motorcycle Year: 1996
FourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really nice

72 CH with S&S E, 1-3/4" drags with eyebolts, K&N filter in S&S housing, PB plus cams. Sea level.
.0295 intermediate .068 main.
Old 15th May 2009
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH Hugger Trike
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL Iron Head
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
dobermandave is on a distinguished roaddobermandave is on a distinguished roaddobermandave is on a distinguished roaddobermandave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by biknut View Post
With drag pipes I would start out with 28/68

A 28 will probably work well but you'll have to find the right main. It's unlikely you'll need less than a 66 or bigger than a 70.

Iron heads aren't as sensitive to drag pipes as Evo's, because the tall piston domes tend to block some of the reversion.

If you're buying a new Super E it will probably have an adjustable air bleed jet. Super E's tend to run rich in the mid range. The air bleed jet allows you to lean out the mid range. A bigger air bleed jet causes the main jet to come on at higher rpm.
The 401-060 I don't think comes with an adj air bleed. I will start with 28/68 as you are also in Dallas. This bike I'm building for my Daughter & I don't think she will ride it a lot & it came with drag pipes & she likes the sound as did the other 79 I bought her for a backup it also has an S&S & seems to run ok. My
77 has an S&S & does not have drag pipes (I like it that way).
Sponsored Links
Old 15th May 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
biknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobermandave View Post
The 401-060 I don't think comes with an adj air bleed. I will start with 28/68 as you are also in Dallas. This bike I'm building for my Daughter & I don't think she will ride it a lot & it came with drag pipes & she likes the sound as did the other 79 I bought her for a backup it also has an S&S & seems to run ok. My
77 has an S&S & does not have drag pipes (I like it that way).
This is how you can tell if it has the adjustable air bleed.

Adjustable Air Bleed for Super E and G Carburetors

The main air bleed passage in S&S Super "E" and "G"
carburetors produced for the 2004 model year and later is fitted
with a replaceable .040" jet in place of the .040" drilled main air
bleed passage. The replaceable jet allows changing the size of
the main air bleed. Carburetors with this modification can be
identified by a serial number that begins with the letter E or
higher. See Picture 47.

These are the online instructions for tuning a Super E

http://www.sscycle.com/admin/uploads...ns/51-1012.pdf
Old 15th May 2009
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH Hugger Trike
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL Iron Head
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
dobermandave is on a distinguished roaddobermandave is on a distinguished roaddobermandave is on a distinguished roaddobermandave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by biknut View Post
This is how you can tell if it has the adjustable air bleed.

Adjustable Air Bleed for Super E and G Carburetors

The main air bleed passage in S&S Super "E" and "G"
carburetors produced for the 2004 model year and later is fitted
with a replaceable .040" jet in place of the .040" drilled main air
bleed passage. The replaceable jet allows changing the size of
the main air bleed. Carburetors with this modification can be
identified by a serial number that begins with the letter E or
higher. See Picture 47.

These are the online instructions for tuning a Super E

http://www.sscycle.com/admin/uploads...ns/51-1012.pdf
The S&S on my 77 starts with a D, the one on the other 79 starts with an F so it must have the replaceable jet. I guess my new one will also (haven't got it in yet). The guy I talked to at J&P has 3 ironheads & said go 1 up on the main for drag pipes. Just like you did.