The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > DYNO Charts and Result
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

DYNO Charts and Result Post your dyno charts and results here.

Members Birthdays
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd April 2014
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Jimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to all
Default Where is there a huge dyno test of most exhausts?

I'd like to build a second bike someday and I'm always looking at differant exhausts, slip ons or complete systems.
Is there a page somewhere that compares LOTS of different exhaust on a dyno?
Old 3rd April 2014
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200Roadster #1
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R #2
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: 1984 FLHT, unforgotten
oilly1 has disabled reputation
Default Search "Hammer Performance" to find their sticky posts

They have dyno tests of several exhausts you can look at on the forum, with some good discussion.
Old 3rd April 2014
I think I like Sportsters

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L (sorta) & a 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200CX
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: XR1200X
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Liz is correct, Hammer has done a ton of dyno tests. They have them all on their website here:

http://hammerperf.com/ttxlexhaust.shtml

Often there are other tidbits in the various threads here on the XLF. Check out their stickies in their section of the forum here:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/f...play.php?f=331
2012 - XR1200X (XR)
2016 - 1200CX Roadster (new one)
2007 - 883L/90" -current project - (Black bike)
Old 3rd April 2014

Jimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Loose Dan View Post
Liz is correct, Hammer has done a ton of dyno tests. They have them all on their website here:

http://hammerperf.com/ttxlexhaust.shtml

Often there are other tidbits in the various threads here on the XLF. Check out their stickies in their section of the forum here:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/f...play.php?f=331
Wow. Yeah I wanted to see how good the thunderheader was. It looks like the cycle shacks with the baffle removed is just about the best. Probably any slip on without a baffle would do great. Less is more.
Old 3rd April 2014
A Million Facts & Figures

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
aswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond repute

The unbaffled Cycle Shacks did come real close to the Patriot on the top number, that's true ...

However, they have a massive hole from 3500 to 5500 as you can see.

You see much the same thing in the unbaffled Short Shots:

Bottom line, an open 2 into 2 is tuned for a certain rpm range, mostly by virtue of it's overall length. On the other hand, a well-designed 2 into 1 can pull well over a wider range.

But then again, a poorly designed 2 into 1 works over a narrow range too ... case in point, the RSD Slant:

Works great down low, sucks above 5000.

Old 3rd April 2014
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
dpd1413 is a glorious beacon of lightdpd1413 is a glorious beacon of lightdpd1413 is a glorious beacon of lightdpd1413 is a glorious beacon of lightdpd1413 is a glorious beacon of lightdpd1413 is a glorious beacon of lightdpd1413 is a glorious beacon of lightdpd1413 is a glorious beacon of lightdpd1413 is a glorious beacon of lightdpd1413 is a glorious beacon of lightdpd1413 is a glorious beacon of light

ok…not trying to hi-jack the thread, but this has piqued my curiosity. I have a converted 1200, n-8 cams, short-shots w/baffles and a Arlen Ness A/C…The bike runs great, pulls hard everywhere except out of the hole. If I read the chart correctly, does it mean that by pulling the baffles I would gain more top HP at the expense of my mid-range? I've had numerous people tell me to pull the baffles for more power, but since I don't ride at redline much, is it better to keep the baffles and keep the mid-range power where most of my riding is done in? These charts are very interesting, indeed.
Old 3rd April 2014

What RPM is the limiter set at stock on an '04 883?

I didn't want this to turn into a back-pressure duscussion and I know I've posted this in many other threads, but:

My bike came with SE AC and straight through slip ons. It pulled like a MoFo up past 100mph! I made my own 2-1 with a straight through glass pack but put in torque cones.
1. I honestly can't feel any mid range power gain.
2. It now won't go past 98mph.
3. I bought one of those 8" slip in baffles off ebay and it made the bike a total dog.
Bottum line, I'll never run baffles again!
Old 4th April 2014

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C/1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 04
cHarley04 has a brilliant futurecHarley04 has a brilliant futurecHarley04 has a brilliant futurecHarley04 has a brilliant futurecHarley04 has a brilliant futurecHarley04 has a brilliant futurecHarley04 has a brilliant futurecHarley04 has a brilliant futurecHarley04 has a brilliant futurecHarley04 has a brilliant futurecHarley04 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpd1413 View Post
ok…not trying to hi-jack the thread, but this has piqued my curiosity. I have a converted 1200, n-8 cams, short-shots w/baffles and a Arlen Ness A/C…The bike runs great, pulls hard everywhere except out of the hole. If I read the chart correctly, does it mean that by pulling the baffles I would gain more top HP at the expense of my mid-range? I've had numerous people tell me to pull the baffles for more power, but since I don't ride at redline much, is it better to keep the baffles and keep the mid-range power where most of my riding is done in? These charts are very interesting, indeed.
The quick and simple answer IMO, yes.
If your a typical street rider, you want the power where you use it everyday, usually between 3,000 - 5,000 RPM.
If you're into high RPM (drag racing), then you want the power on the top end.
No baffles typically = poor low to mid range torque.
Old 4th April 2014
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L-1250
tyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of lighttyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of lighttyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of lighttyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of lighttyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of lighttyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of lighttyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of lighttyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of lighttyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of lighttyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of lighttyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Hoffa View Post
What RPM is the limiter set at stock on an '04 883?

I didn't want this to turn into a back-pressure duscussion and I know I've posted this in many other threads, but:

My bike came with SE AC and straight through slip ons. It pulled like a MoFo up past 100mph! I made my own 2-1 with a straight through glass pack but put in torque cones.
1. I honestly can't feel any mid range power gain.
2. It now won't go past 98mph.
3. I bought one of those 8" slip in baffles off ebay and it made the bike a total dog.
Bottum line, I'll never run baffles again!
think it has more to do with the pipe not being right over the baffle you installed. sounds like the homemade pipe is hurting you.
Sponsored Links