The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions Advice, questions, and tips for 1200, 1250, 1340, 1450 etc... for Sportster and Buell motorcycle engine conversions

Members Birthdays
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th October 2007
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
TnG has a spectacular aura aboutTnG has a spectacular aura aboutTnG has a spectacular aura aboutTnG has a spectacular aura aboutTnG has a spectacular aura aboutTnG has a spectacular aura aboutTnG has a spectacular aura aboutTnG has a spectacular aura aboutTnG has a spectacular aura about
Default Still lovin' it!

Just clicked over 2300 miles today since I reworked our motor. The only complaint so far is that I didn't figure out sooner that my clutch wasn't holding up. Bumped up the the spring a little and some new plates and WOW what a difference. Sure wish I could make another pass at the track, oh well something to look forward to for next spring. BTW I love the this whole combo! Me and the wife lovin it!
Old 29th October 2007
I think I like Sportsters

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L (sorta) & a 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200CX
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: XR1200X
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I've clicked over 20k on my motor since the conversion and I'm still happy. My one complaint is that I use oil. But, as the temperatures drop I'll be pulling the thing apart to figure out why...and it'll be a good excuse to put some better cams in.

I also quickly figured out my clutch was slipping after the conversion. I went with the Barnett Scorpion clutch. It's expensive and has a very hard pull...but otherwise it's sweet! I love it. Hard to articulate the difference, but much better feel. If your in to the drags, I would say this is the clutch for you. I generally wouldn't recommend it to most riders, but I mention it because you mention your strip times.
2012 - XR1200X (XR)
2016 - 1200CX Roadster (new one)
2007 - 883L/90" -current project - (Black bike)