The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Hammer Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Dear Harley-Davidson Inc.
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Dear Harley-Davidson Inc. Here is where you can post a message to Harley-Davidson. Please do not expect answers. This is only meant as a place where the Motor Company can view issues that their customers have.

Members Birthdays
hardride1955 (59), 91Sportster (52), PSEBYL (51), Aussiegirl (44), FastMag (43)
Hammer Performance
Hammer Performance
Hammer Performance
S&S Cycle

Licks Holiday

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th April 2013
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883r -1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: 850 Yamaha TRX
Other Motorcycle Year: 98
tich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosey View Post
It wouldn't be a real XLCH without a kicker!

And a magneto.

Please don't try to rock the CH moniker in the EFI era. It just ain't right...
Nar it aint right but a bet ya' it will happen. HD aint slow on using there Heritage.

I guess my Question can be read 2 ways. What wouldn you like and what do you think it would/will be?

I can see a 72 with the XLX engine and swingarm The more I picture it the more I start to like it to. Mmm with that seat of a sportster sport and
with 76 AMF graphics

Light wheels with hollow axels as well! 17&19inch

It would be cool with a kicker and with electronick ignition perhaps start a little eiser when warm.

Last edited by tich; 18th April 2013 at 19:35..
Old 18th April 2013
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL350
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of

In my opinion, this is the closest that H-D has come to building an XLCH since they discontinued them in the 1970's. Still an Ironhead, though. They even have "CH" in the serial number...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it (especially if you don't know what you're doing). Most Sportster problems are owner-induced.
Old 18th April 2013
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83XLX View Post
No matter what parts that H-D mixed and matched, a new XLCH wouldn't be skinny or light (or powerful) enough to carry the name. Granted, it would be more powerful than the original XLCH, but relative to other contempory bikes, it wouldn't be the hot rod it was back then. Still, a stripped-down Sportster with more power, mids, and decent suspension and brakes would be a welcome addition to the lineup.
i concurr.

i was going to say.

new XLCH bloated, heavy and built for the masses of asses.. not the real deal..

a REAL XLCH would be a 80/80 hp/tq outta the box before stage 1 or other "UPGRAdES"

You Can't Fix STUPID !

"Don't Just Do It Right. Do It Just Right"

"Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"- Bruce Dickerson

"Horsepower Never Lies-but it's often lied about"

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Old 18th April 2013
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Flat Track Racer
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: RIP 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
A 4 liter V8 eater has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83XLX View Post
In my opinion, this is the closest that H-D has come to building an XLCH since they discontinued them in the 1970's. Still an Ironhead, though. They even have "CH" in the serial number...

The 98-03 1200 Sport was just as close dimensionwise, but more powerful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tich View Post

Light wheels with hollow axels as well! 17&19inch
I like the look of 19" & 19" rims:

Link to thread on "Harley Racing" events across the country: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=53470

These events include Hillclimbing, Flat Track Racing, Ice racing, Drag Racing, etc.. They are all sports dominated by Harley Davidsons. They are always located in scenic areas and are great weekend rides. The above link allows XLforum users to coordinate riding to these events together.
Old 18th April 2013
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883r -1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: 850 Yamaha TRX
Other Motorcycle Year: 98
tich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by A 4 liter V8 eater View Post

I like the look of 19" & 19" rims:

Shore does . I was thinking about having lots of tyre choices the 18/19 always looked just fine to me.
Know Thy Hog

Old 18th April 2013
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL350
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by A 4 liter V8 eater View Post
The 98-03 1200 Sport was just as close dimensionwise, but more powerful.
Yeah, I started to include it, but it wasn't as stripped-down and narrow as the XLX, and according to the published factory dry weights, was 15 lbs heavier. Nice bikes, though.
Old 18th December 2013
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K-1200/GT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
mikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by tich View Post
I guess thats why thers a whole industry offering us alternative parts.

Screamin Eagle parts is why the stock bikes don't have it.They want you to spend thousands more on that stuff when you find the kid down the street with his 10 years old R-6 can dust your ass.

And to the other post blaming emissions….Emissions has nothing to do with it since the advent of EFI and converters. Look at the Z/06..same h-p as the 1967 427 L-88 (505 at the rear wheels and 585 at the crank).

The most powerful street cars of all time are NOW…with all the emissions and safety.