The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sportster Motorcycle Custom Finishing
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Custom Finishing Here is where you can discuss various ways of customizing your Sportster motorcycle or Buell motorcycle.

Members Birthdays
steve yorke (60), lugster, edman (52), Hudsonator (50), kozman32 (50), R3DN3X (48), gmcsid (47), mitch (42)
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th October 2014
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 2012 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2012
tireslayer36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My Sportster 48 Rear Fender Chop

I did my 48 fender/Frame Chop and decided to do a decent write up and post some pics. I am eventually going to Run a bobtail fender at an angle after I finish the fab on that setup.

1. Unbolt the fender/rear lights/plate mount etc

2. once all that is off and the frame is bare, prepare to chop frame!

3. Cut the frame any length you please. For my application i measured 1.5 inches from the hole in front of the rear shocks and cut the rest off. my tool of choice = (4.5 inch angle grinder equipped w/ a good cutting blade, grinder wheel, and flapper wheel)

4. Clean up exposed end and grind it and make an angle cut or round it off like i did. Apply some self etching primer and let it dry (3 coats) after the primer apply some good automotive gloss black enamel (3 coats)

4.prepare to cut the fender.Tape the whole fender in painters masking tape to protect the paint. I cut the bars directly off of the sides of the fender but left the rear mounting hole intact (reference picture below. made it a mounting "tab" ) I removed the mudflap (save it to reuse) I directly rotated the fender forward and lined up one of the holes on top of the fender to bolt into the seat stay bracket off of the frame. ( will need spacers and hardware along with making the hole on the fender slightly elongated) Cut the Front of the fender so the finished rear will still stay finished and look Original.
unfortunately most of the fender process was filmed and not too many pictures were taken. The rear mounting tabs on the fender will now line up and bolt into the first holes left after the frame cut aft of the rear shocks. After all the work is done with the fender, set it aside and apply the primer/paint process on the cut edge just like the frame.

5. Cut the mud flap so it will fit back into the fender without any side protrusion. (i cut it straight across and used the rivet hole to mount back onto the fender with small bolt and nut) at this time bolt the Inner fender brace back onto the fender.

7. Hardware stack up for mounting will be as follows: (if you are not re-using the bullet tails on frame) This setup does not pull on the fender and allow the fender to flex when you tighten it all down

8.outcome

Let me know if you guys have any questions or any picture requests of certain areas etc. thanks for reading
Old 28th October 2014
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron 883
Bryan83taco is a splendid one to beholdBryan83taco is a splendid one to beholdBryan83taco is a splendid one to beholdBryan83taco is a splendid one to beholdBryan83taco is a splendid one to beholdBryan83taco is a splendid one to beholdBryan83taco is a splendid one to beholdBryan83taco is a splendid one to beholdBryan83taco is a splendid one to beholdBryan83taco is a splendid one to beholdBryan83taco is a splendid one to behold

Good looking chop man. I did mine about the same. One question, how did you attach the rear of the fender? Did you run the seat bolt through the rear? I only attached my fender on the front bolt holes and did not attach it the rear. So it kinda rocks back and forth. Post a pic if you have one.

Thanks
Old 31st October 2014
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 2012 48
tireslayer36 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan83taco View Post
Good looking chop man. I did mine about the same. One question, how did you attach the rear of the fender? Did you run the seat bolt through the rear? I only attached my fender on the front bolt holes and did not attach it the rear. So it kinda rocks back and forth. Post a pic if you have one.

Thanks
it shouldnt rock if you have the right amount of spacer stackup as i have shown and just tighten it real nice. I notched the slot hole in the middle of the fender and ran a bolt /washers/nuts combo through the OEM seat bracket off of the frame like the factory setup. It was unnecessary though (hindsight) I would take some pics but bike is at my friends right now torn apart.
Old 25th March 2017
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Zachballard is an unknown quantity at this point

I just recently cut my rear fender the same way (from the front) to keep the rear finish. the seat mount bolt doesn't lineup and sits to low it seems to drill a new hole. also been looking for a solo seat like yours what brand is that and what seat bracket did you get thanks