The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sportster Motorcycle Custom Finishing
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Custom Finishing Here is where you can discuss various ways of customizing your Sportster motorcycle or Buell motorcycle.

Members Birthdays
steve yorke (60), lugster, edman (52), Hudsonator (50), kozman32 (50), R3DN3X (48), gmcsid (47), mitch (42)
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th December 2014
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883 bored to 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
drivermark has much to be proud ofdrivermark has much to be proud ofdrivermark has much to be proud ofdrivermark has much to be proud ofdrivermark has much to be proud ofdrivermark has much to be proud ofdrivermark has much to be proud ofdrivermark has much to be proud ofdrivermark has much to be proud ofdrivermark has much to be proud ofdrivermark has much to be proud of

Those look awsome, of course you know we'll need to see them when thry're installed
Old 24th January 2017
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
McBoyd is a splendid one to beholdMcBoyd is a splendid one to beholdMcBoyd is a splendid one to beholdMcBoyd is a splendid one to beholdMcBoyd is a splendid one to beholdMcBoyd is a splendid one to beholdMcBoyd is a splendid one to beholdMcBoyd is a splendid one to beholdMcBoyd is a splendid one to beholdMcBoyd is a splendid one to beholdMcBoyd is a splendid one to behold

I would love to see some full shots of your bike. Amazing!!
Old 8th April 2017
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
trickyrik is a splendid one to beholdtrickyrik is a splendid one to beholdtrickyrik is a splendid one to beholdtrickyrik is a splendid one to beholdtrickyrik is a splendid one to beholdtrickyrik is a splendid one to beholdtrickyrik is a splendid one to beholdtrickyrik is a splendid one to beholdtrickyrik is a splendid one to beholdtrickyrik is a splendid one to beholdtrickyrik is a splendid one to behold

Custom skid plate by forum member Trainman, fits like a glove and a good sturdy piece. Not sure how many units he's making but send him a PM he might be able to help you out.

Sponsored Links
Old 12th April 2017
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 883/1200 conversion
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: 2nd 01 XLC
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
Graywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond repute

What do you do with a worn out brake disk?

Hope it looks a little better when it cools down and I have time to clean it up and paint it.
Old 12th April 2017
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
McBoyd is a splendid one to beholdMcBoyd is a splendid one to beholdMcBoyd is a splendid one to beholdMcBoyd is a splendid one to beholdMcBoyd is a splendid one to beholdMcBoyd is a splendid one to beholdMcBoyd is a splendid one to beholdMcBoyd is a splendid one to beholdMcBoyd is a splendid one to beholdMcBoyd is a splendid one to beholdMcBoyd is a splendid one to behold
Default Don't forget to sharpen it.

We all need to be ready for a Zombie Outbreak!
Old 12th April 2017
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1998
Other Motorcycle Model: FLTRU
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
StickFSMC has a brilliant futureStickFSMC has a brilliant futureStickFSMC has a brilliant futureStickFSMC has a brilliant futureStickFSMC has a brilliant futureStickFSMC has a brilliant futureStickFSMC has a brilliant futureStickFSMC has a brilliant futureStickFSMC has a brilliant futureStickFSMC has a brilliant futureStickFSMC has a brilliant future

I'll give this a go.

I have my 1962 XLCH Ironhead Chopper. Many of the parts are hand made.

I have some build threads at the following locations:

http://www.freedspiritsmc.com/sticksbuild.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...l#post15834901

I'll start with the Gas Tank.

I wanted to build an old 60's style Chopper out of my Ironhead. The Iconic 60's chopper gas tank was the old Coffin Tank, so I decided to go there.

Unfortunately, I do not have any photos of the first part of the process, but I will describe it. There are plenty of photos of the rest of it to choke a horse.

First I laid out the design and cut up the sheet steel. Then I started bending and folding. Once I got that out of the way, then I started to tack things together.

Here's where the photos will start.

Here's the main shell once it got tacked together.

I cut out the hole for the filler neck to go into.

I made a custom filler neck from scratch. I used to have a bunch of photos of that, but I can't seem to find them. Here's a test fit.

Setting the height of the neck with the cap on.

The bottom tunnel piece is made from 3 sections. I bent the first piece over the back bone of the frame, then welded a couple of ears on it after cutting it to the right depth.

There's a lot going on here that's not really obvious unless I explain it. The bottom piece sits too close to the rear head for a normal petcock, so I set up two outlet tubes and installed a remote fuel switch between the cylinders. If you look at the rear of the tank, you can see the outlets.
Also, the flat bar stretched across the tunnel is the mount system. I used 4 couplers and welded them on the inside of the tank, then welded the top end of them shut. This made for a set of recessed threaded mounts so I could bolt the flat bar across the tunnel, under the frame backbone. I drilled and tapped a small hole in the front mount bar so I could use a set screw to lock the tank in place and keep it from rolling. That was not done at the time of this photo.

Skim coated the tank to get it ready for paint. This really defined the sharp corners of the coffin.

After the first coat of paint, the flames were laid out.

Gold Flake in a clear media was used to make the flames.

After the flames were sprayed, the mask was removed and multiple coats of clear were shot.

Then the flames were masked off again and green candy was applied, just to the flames to make them really pop.

More layers of clear were applied to the whole tank and the sun really makes it dazzle.

Here is the tank after it was installed on the bike. Yes, those are reflections of clouds mirrored in the tank.

Overall Glamour Shot of the bike.

I am not a painter, I fabricated the tank and had a friend of mine do the painting. Here are the details on that:

Base coat is a modified 2004 Chevy Dark Green Metallic. When I had the paint mixed, I had the grey metal flake left out and added dark green pearl. After the base coat was laid down, the flames were masked off and the gold flake shot. Then multiple layers of clear were applied. The whole thing was then wet sanded and remasked for the green candy which was applied to the flames and then the whole thing was cleared again.
1962 XLCH Ironhead
2012 FLTRU RoadGlide 110"