The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
collinsb (73), bulldog1200C (59), DrBlond (54), Moonpie (52), mercybeat (47), mogwai (43), Ratster, E.MCCOLLOM (40)
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd September 2010
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1981 IronHead
Other Motorcycle Model: 1975 Aermacchi/H-D SX 175
Stick_Man has a spectacular aura aboutStick_Man has a spectacular aura aboutStick_Man has a spectacular aura aboutStick_Man has a spectacular aura aboutStick_Man has a spectacular aura aboutStick_Man has a spectacular aura aboutStick_Man has a spectacular aura aboutStick_Man has a spectacular aura about
Default A few annoying little things

1. handling weird at low speeds. When i first got bike felt like I was going to tip over; rocking side to side. swapped in correct year, lower tree and bearings. went away mostly; but still present a little and getting more annoying. fork oil is new too btw. how do you check swingarm bearings what else could this be; screwed up forks? it's like i don't really go in a straight line.

2. carb fart. I make rich and bike seems to want to die at idle. lean and when i crack it open -- it lets out a little fart. could it be cold? carb and air filter could be moved around before i tightened it up a lot but is is normal to have to keep tightening your manifold boots?

or could it be timing, pushrods, points gap? Had a stealer do it months ago since i didn't have a time light; i bet they just static timed it and necer did the pushrods and the shit is off
Old 23rd September 2010
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
phideux is on a distinguished roadphideux is on a distinguished roadphideux is on a distinguished roadphideux is on a distinguished road

1) Are your tires/wheels true and balanced????? Could be a busted belt or a warp in a tire too.

2) You shouldn't have to keep tightening up your manifold boots, your carb and air cleaner shouldn't move. Possible air leak in carb/manifold???
Old 23rd September 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki 454LTD
Other Motorcycle Year: 1986
suttoncomfort is an unknown quantity at this point

what carb are you running? what air cleaner? is there a support bracket on the back of your air cleaner
Old 23rd September 2010

Stick_Man has a spectacular aura aboutStick_Man has a spectacular aura aboutStick_Man has a spectacular aura aboutStick_Man has a spectacular aura aboutStick_Man has a spectacular aura aboutStick_Man has a spectacular aura aboutStick_Man has a spectacular aura aboutStick_Man has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by phideux View Post
1) Are your tires/wheels true and balanced????? Could be a busted belt or a warp in a tire too.

2) You shouldn't have to keep tightening up your manifold boots, your carb and air cleaner shouldn't move. Possible air leak in carb/manifold???
Actually it probably is tires/wheels. I know cheap PO did everything cheap and wrong; only thing I haven't had to re-do is "new" tires.
I bet he just found some used ones and popped em in with a screwdriver.

I have to take it to shop since i have no such machine? I guess i can just ride it like that till i need another tire?

Carb and air house is an S and S. no bracket. will check again for leaks. I doubt it though. I bet it's carb/timing/pushrods/points.

stealer looked like he static times it, and slopped the shit back together in the parking lot with a new condens. when i brought it back; along with dicking around with everything else in the process. How the freak do you work on points anyway? (sticky is tough to understand). I'm assuming the book tells you how. I'll have to take a look at it.
Old 23rd September 2010
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH/I.R.C. Special
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Ivan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really nice
Default You ABSOLUTELY need a carb/air cleaner support bracket. Haven't...

...you ever noticed how heavy the carb and air cleaner are?
Now imagine all of that weight, under the stress and movement of road-riding, being supported solely by the two intake clamps.
That's why you're getting intake leaks.

And get your tires changed before one blows out, peeling away from the rim and dusting your cheap ass.
Old 23rd September 2010

where are you supposed to put the bracket. and that thing just passed inspection earlier this summer. although the front at least looks to be cracking on the sidewalls . . .
Old 23rd September 2010
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH/I.R.C. Special
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Ivan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really nice
Default There's the type that runs from the back of the air cleaner...

...to a lifter block bolt, and the type that goes between the case center bolt and the lower carb bolt on the manifold.

I absolutely HATE intake leaks, so I run BOTH.
My riding style is also very aggressive, so I need to know the carb-to-manifold seal is going to remain intact.

Cracks along the sidewalls, dry-rot from sitting around too long, are a sign that it's time to replace those tires.
Your life is NOT what you want to gamble with, especially not when it's based on the veracity a goverment employee's inspection.

CTFS/QCB
Viva Los Bastardos!!!
Old 23rd September 2010

S and S makes it?

Also not a gov worker but an Indy doing a state inspection. Though didn't notice any cracks at that time; maybe they're recent. Might as well bring it back and get tire (mounted and balanced) bracket and risers assuming they're made by S & S? Any diy I can save on?
Old 23rd September 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
GA_Ironhead is a splendid one to beholdGA_Ironhead is a splendid one to beholdGA_Ironhead is a splendid one to beholdGA_Ironhead is a splendid one to beholdGA_Ironhead is a splendid one to beholdGA_Ironhead is a splendid one to beholdGA_Ironhead is a splendid one to beholdGA_Ironhead is a splendid one to beholdGA_Ironhead is a splendid one to beholdGA_Ironhead is a splendid one to beholdGA_Ironhead is a splendid one to behold

Like IRC said, the support is mandatory. I run mine from the A/C backing plate to a stud on the lifter block. The support is a $3.00 solution to a (potentially) $1000 problem.

As for the swingarm bearings, if they're shot, you'll be able to wiggle the swingarm back-and-forth. They're supposed to be periodically greased, but it's one of those things that typically gets neglected by owners. I replaced mine with Timkens from Fog Hollow for <$35.00, plus the shields and spacers. If they haven't been done, they probably need to be.
Sponsored Links
Old 23rd September 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
GA_Ironhead is a splendid one to beholdGA_Ironhead is a splendid one to beholdGA_Ironhead is a splendid one to beholdGA_Ironhead is a splendid one to beholdGA_Ironhead is a splendid one to beholdGA_Ironhead is a splendid one to beholdGA_Ironhead is a splendid one to beholdGA_Ironhead is a splendid one to beholdGA_Ironhead is a splendid one to beholdGA_Ironhead is a splendid one to beholdGA_Ironhead is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
S and S makes it?
What is "it"? The bracket?