The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum GL Sportster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
CV Performance
Sky Smith Insurance
Fix My Hog
Foxcreek Leather

Superbrace

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th January 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
clewlob has disabled reputation
Default 73 Ironhead strip

I'm just at the point of splitting the crankcases on my 73 and wondered if I need to remove the pinion gear and oil pump drive from the shaft before splitting the cases. I've seen pictures of an engined stripped on http://www.harley-oldschool-bobber.c...d_flywheel.php which looks as though they are still on the crankshaft after the cases have been split. Thanks in anticipation for any advice. better safe than sorry.
regards
Bill

Thanks for info. I was hoping I didn't have to strip the gears off the shaft.
Not really thought about putting it back together yet but back in the 60s/70s (showing my age now!) we used to us red hematite gasket sealer which used to make even old Triumphs oil tight :-)
Bill

Last edited by clewlob; 9th January 2011 at 10:01.. Reason: Thanks
Old 8th January 2011
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

My first Harley was a brand new 1973 XLCH, a lifetime ago.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Old 8th January 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

DR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud of

if you remove the oilpump, then you can leave gears on shaft. they do pass through pinion race.
Old 8th January 2011
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1964
Other Motorcycle Model: is there another model
brassy63 will become famous soon enoughbrassy63 will become famous soon enoughbrassy63 will become famous soon enoughbrassy63 will become famous soon enoughbrassy63 will become famous soon enoughbrassy63 will become famous soon enough

Definately drop the oil pump, make sure not to loose the ballbearing when you are taking it out, what type of sealant are you going to use when you put the cases back together I have this brown stuff that is good for tolerances up to 20 thou cant remember the name of the stuff though, does anybody know the name of the stuff I am talking about. Damn short term memory loss!