The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
Motor Stage
DK Customs
Superbrace.com
883 Sportster

Hammer Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th January 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
ocean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default jetting help for XL1200S Sport

I'm living in Tokyo Japan and am in the process of taxing my 2001 XL1200S Sport model. Parts here are super expensive and so I am having them purchased in USA and sent to me here.

I have a really nice Sundance Orange II high performance muffler (this I purchased here!), and a K&N filter but I'm having trouble figuring out which ThunderJet Kit I need and which Thunderslide Jet Kit I need for this model.

I'm pretty sure the product number for the ThunderJet Kit is: 10070152 - but I'm unsure about the ThunderSlide Jet Kit? The internet has too much confusing onformation and there seem to be so many ThunderSlide kits to choose from. The XL1200S is different from other XL's and so usually requires special parts. I dont wish to make a mistake when purchaseing the thunderslide.

Can anyone guide me to the correct parts for my Sporty Sport?
Old 10th January 2011
JESTER MAFIA WEST

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: 48 "Totalled" By a Douche
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
rocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond repute

email me
rocketmangb@msn.com
2006 Sportster XL1200C
Mikuni HSR 45
Jetted 27.5 slow,172.5 Main
97 Needle,Clip posistion 3
Hurricane Flow 3" offset AC,Rocketman Mod
Daytona Twin Tec TC88A,Rico Nomad Map
Sumax Thundervolt plug wires,NGK DCPR8EIX spark plugs. Gapped .040 and Indexed
Cycle Electric Stator and Regulator
Alto Carbonite Clutch
Royal Purple 20W50 MC Primary oil
Patriot Defender Pipe
Royal Purple 20W50 MC oil
Wix 57148 oil filter
Max Power, 79.17
Max Torque, 75.98
Old 10th January 2011
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketmangb View Post
done
Old 12th January 2011
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Heritage
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Shu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to behold

You do not NEED a DynoJet kit or DynoJet Thunderslide kit. Just rejet the carb with the right jets and you are good. As far as which kit you'd need to buy if you really wanted one, it is part number 8103 for the DynoJet kit and 8112 for the DynoJet Thunderslide kit. There is nothing special about the 1200S carb compared to the other 1200 cc Sportsters the same year. Again though, just buy a few Keihin CV jets (pilot and main) and tune it.

GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
Screamin' Eagle 10:1 pistons
Stage 2 883 heads
Screamin' Eagle .497" cams
Screamin' Eagle Mikuni HSR42
Thunderheader
Forcewinder
Old 13th January 2011
Biker

Thanks for the reply and the advice. I am going to replace the CV carb for the FCR. With thanks to the posters here and other Harley forums I now realize the jet kits are not worth the money.
Know Thy Hog

Old 13th January 2011
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 1200s
derailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to all

Replacing the carb is hardly worth the money either, unless you're doing headwork. I'm no mechanic, but from the help of the knowledgeable guys on here, I got ALOT of extra power from an AC/exhaust setup and properly tuned and sized jets.
Old 15th January 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Gone
Don Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu View Post
You do not NEED a DynoJet kit or DynoJet Thunderslide kit. Just rejet the carb with the right jets and you are good. As far as which kit you'd need to buy if you really wanted one, it is part number 8103 for the DynoJet kit and 8112 for the DynoJet Thunderslide kit. There is nothing special about the 1200S carb compared to the other 1200 cc Sportsters the same year. Again though, just buy a few Keihin CV jets (pilot and main) and tune it.
Shu, Good advice. Just for clarity's sake, isn't the 1200 S model's carb the same as the other 1200 models of the same year but didn't H-D equip the stock S model's carb with a larger main jet and a different needle than the standard 1200 or am I mistaken? Of course some of that may need changing when tuning for aftermarket intake and exhaust.
Old 15th January 2011
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
radeschultz is a glorious beacon of lightradeschultz is a glorious beacon of lightradeschultz is a glorious beacon of lightradeschultz is a glorious beacon of lightradeschultz is a glorious beacon of lightradeschultz is a glorious beacon of lightradeschultz is a glorious beacon of lightradeschultz is a glorious beacon of lightradeschultz is a glorious beacon of lightradeschultz is a glorious beacon of lightradeschultz is a glorious beacon of light

Don that is correct. I forget what needle it is, I wanna say the NOKK, but I don't recall for certain at this moment.

Sportster.org in the techies has a good list of the stock jet sizes as well as suggestion for jetting when adding air filter and or pipes...
Old 15th January 2011
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Heritage
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Shu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Burton View Post
Shu, Good advice. Just for clarity's sake, isn't the 1200 S model's carb the same as the other 1200 models of the same year but didn't H-D equip the stock S model's carb with a larger main jet and a different needle than the standard 1200 or am I mistaken? Of course some of that may need changing when tuning for aftermarket intake and exhaust.
The US Sport did come with a different main jet (27275-96Y) which I think was a 190 main out of the Buell. It also received a needle (27656-98) which was different than the standard (27241-95) needle that the rest received. I don't recall the exact needle codes but here are the part numbers for comparison. Additionally the California 1200 S got a differnet needle yet, it was the 27254-96. California bikes not only received a different main jet but they had different needles. I haven't researched it enough to know the relationship between the main and needle on the Sport or California models, but I would guess that where HD increased the main Jet size they then leaned out the needle some in the cruiseing area and light throttle area even further for emissions reasons. All models domestic received the 42 pilot jet. Oh yeah and the 1200S had a different float chamber assembly as well (27380-98 instead of 27159-92). That, I believe was a slightly larger volume float bowl but have never been able to verify.

FWIW here are the entire carb part numbers by model:
27490-96 - 883's
27495-96 - California 883's
27480-97 - 1200's
27498-96 - California 1200's
27731-98 - 1200 Sports
27732-98 - California 1200 Sports

Those parts were the same from 96, 97 or 98 as indicated through 2003.

Dynojet makes kits specific to the Sport due to this and those are the part numbers I mentioned earlier. I still don't think he needs a DynoJet kit, only a few jets at most.
Old 15th January 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Gone
Don Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant future

Yes, I had thought that the S model had a difference in the float bowl as well but I didn't know what it was and failed to mention it.
Know Thy Hog