The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
wallylach (63), cob (60), decman (58), djhannu (52), Vaughn, irishhog (45), dangjalopy (41), earthoverdrive (36), edman87k5 (35), 79iron (32), mr_anti_chrome
Superbrace
Lowbrow Customs
Energy One Clutches
Lickscycles

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th January 2011
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: chopper looking thing
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph POS
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
hcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to behold
Default So you don't want to split those cases?

Used motors contain lots of surprises. This sprocket shaft came out of an 1980 motor that ran and had no issues. Split the cases if you have any doubt.$70.00 worth of gaskets and some effort,[ or enjoyment IMHO] may save you, and your motor. Besides the shaft, 2 cam cover bushings had the shoulders ground down to the cover. I don't like these kind of discoveries but I definitely don't like a bomb with the fuse lit between my legs!
Old 16th January 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH (mongrel)
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
85mm is a jewel in the rough85mm is a jewel in the rough85mm is a jewel in the rough85mm is a jewel in the rough85mm is a jewel in the rough85mm is a jewel in the rough85mm is a jewel in the rough85mm is a jewel in the rough85mm is a jewel in the rough85mm is a jewel in the rough85mm is a jewel in the rough

OUCH! Good catch.
Old 16th January 2011
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 1983 xls
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2008 Goldwing
Other Motorcycle Model: 2005 superglide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
thessler is an unknown quantity at this point

hcrashster
Wow I wish I had your confidence. I have been spending lots of time trying to diagnose a knock. Fixed the biggest one, loose fly weight on the timing advance. But there is still something there it's small but I still hear it. Just afraid to dismantle the whole thing and not find the problem. This may be the inspiration I need to just do it.
Tom
Old 16th January 2011

hcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to behold

I remember your thread. Between this forum and your service manual you have all the info. you need to fix that knock. I remember thinking: You might have some problems there. The advance weights self destructing leading to full advance at all RPM ranges. As the spark fires way to early, { When the piston and rod are on the compression stroke } the entire rotating assembly is getting hammered. Remember the piston has to ascend to top dead center, then descend on the power stroke. Early spark forces piston and rod down while the flywheel, is thru rotation, forcing it up. Bearings don't survive this for long. Tear it down and look. Take pictures, write notes, and put parts, by assemblies, into marked plastic bags. Take it step by step. It really is fun, I mean it.
Old 16th January 2011
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 72
gunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of light

Sheesh! Glad you had the agates to go in. Its just a biiitch without the tools and experience to crack the cases. When you put her all together and the SOB is leaking or something and you have to go all the way back......well, Im sure thats where a lot of good Ironheads found new owners sitting all pretty in boxes

Old 16th January 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
ezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to behold

If you do spilit them you may think of sealing the inside the cases.Some believe the cases are porous and need sealing.Most all we did was use the best sealant out at the time,but some on here someone informed me it was a bad practice and you should shot peen them.Anyway you choose this would be the time to do this.
Old 16th January 2011

I clean and prep aluminum like this. Hose or sink and Dawn dishwashing liquid, and a stiff brush. Repeat till clean. This type of hands on action gives you an excellent time to look for cracks and casting boogers, old repairs etc. Any steel present gets WD-40 after being exposed to water. Cases are then taken to a local Tranny shop for glass beading. Once home they get cleaned again and again. On the mating halves I use a large smoothing file and red roloks. Go very lightly, don't dig a trench, aluminum is SOFT. Clean again. If any threads were found during cleaning, such as timing hole or drains or for the bolt ons that look iffy after thread chasing, I retap or Helicoil. Basically this is blueprinting the case. These cases are the weak point of the Sportster, give them a fighting chance.
Old 16th January 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
60weight has a spectacular aura about60weight has a spectacular aura about60weight has a spectacular aura about60weight has a spectacular aura about60weight has a spectacular aura about60weight has a spectacular aura about60weight has a spectacular aura about60weight has a spectacular aura about

Good time to have that drain hole under the flywheels welded up to if You have one.
Old 16th January 2011
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: '78
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883 XLH w/1200kit
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: 93" Pan/Shovel
Other Motorcycle Year: 1968
rivethog has disabled reputation

When you go back together with the crank, check to make sure that the new sprocket shaft doesn't "bottom out" on the face of the flywheel before the taper is fully seated. When the sprocket shaft is torqued down you should be able to get at least a .010" feeler gauge between the lip and the flywheel. If you can't, remove the sprocket shaft and have the flywheel faced at the sprocket shaft hole.
ACE Hardware gr. 8 bolts Krylon & Rustoleum "premium" paint JT-6 waterproof grease, Emgo oil filter Loctite blue red & green AutoZone headlight bulb socket genuine Aftermarket rear fender generic countershaft sprocket Radio Shack 16ga & 14ga wire forks off of a 180mph drag bike Swallow 4.60H18 rear tire 3.50 x 19 Shanghai front
Old 16th January 2011
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 71 xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 73
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 74 xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 74
Other Motorcycle Model: BT rigid hand shift
fergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the rough

the coating that is painted on the inside of Harley cases is glyptal. HD did this on sportster cases but I do not know what years....my 1960 had red glyptal from the factory....not sure if HD used glyptal but it is the same stuff.

before the IH gods here say I'm full of it....I was told HD coated cases by an retired Harley assembly worker in Milwaukee. Maybe he was full of it.
Know Thy Hog