The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006) This area is to discuss issues, problems and anything else unique to the 2004 and above Sportster motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Burly
Get Lowered
Foxcreek Leather
Licks Cycles

Get Lowered

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th January 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Jrileydavis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My battery cover fix (works great!)

Hi guys. For too long I felt the embarrassment of pulling up to a light and realizing my battery cover was hanging open...once again. I got used to riding with my left hand cause my right was constantly reaching back to try and slap the cover back into place. ugh.. So anyways, I had this idea to keep the cover securely closed while still being able to access it when needed (since harley couldn't figure out a way). All you need is some velcro straps, hook & loop whatever you wanna call it. And some super glue. I got some velcro in the hardware section at wal-mart. I just took off my seat to get to the frame and stuck two velcro pieces on the frame. Then put two pieces on the inside top of my battery cover with a little super glue. They're sticky already but I wanted to make sure they weren't coming off. You close the battery cover and stick the velcro straps onto the ones on your frame. That's it! Works just dandy
Old 16th January 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200c
DaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond repute

Not a bad idea. Just too bad you dont know your left from your right hand....
Or you got a really long right arm to be able to hold that cover as its on the left side of the bike...

Air shock information thread
Old 16th January 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Jt1200r has disabled reputation

thats what i was thinking
Old 16th January 2011
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

I use a zip tie.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Old 16th January 2011
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda XR250r
Other Motorcycle Year: 90
floorit is a splendid one to beholdfloorit is a splendid one to beholdfloorit is a splendid one to beholdfloorit is a splendid one to beholdfloorit is a splendid one to beholdfloorit is a splendid one to beholdfloorit is a splendid one to beholdfloorit is a splendid one to beholdfloorit is a splendid one to beholdfloorit is a splendid one to beholdfloorit is a splendid one to behold

Here we go agian. I like overkill.

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Know Thy Hog

Old 16th January 2011
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by floorit View Post
Here we go agian. I like overkill.

holy crap! yours isn't going anywhere! hahaha
Old 16th January 2011
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaSportster View Post
Not a bad idea. Just too bad you dont know your left from your right hand....
Or you got a really long right arm to be able to hold that cover as its on the left side of the bike...
oh yea....oops. well you know what i meant!
Old 21st February 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2000
Surazal54 is an unknown quantity at this point

Even simpler I drilled a small hole for a 2/56 screw down through the plastic clip and through the slot in the cover 10 cents worth of screws from the hardware store and that cover will never fall off again and it closes the clips firmly also got the ideaoff another Harley forum
Old 21st February 2011
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Scrapper is a glorious beacon of lightScrapper is a glorious beacon of lightScrapper is a glorious beacon of lightScrapper is a glorious beacon of lightScrapper is a glorious beacon of lightScrapper is a glorious beacon of lightScrapper is a glorious beacon of lightScrapper is a glorious beacon of lightScrapper is a glorious beacon of lightScrapper is a glorious beacon of lightScrapper is a glorious beacon of light

Mine is bolted on with 15x 1/2 inch bolts , oh yeah they are from a fighter jet canopy and have explosive charges in them which is wired to my horn button incase i need to access my battery really quickly.
Old 21st February 2011
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: White Hot Denim XR1200X
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
KevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud of

I don't think I have a picture of it, but I installed a switch on the side cover so I was able to turn off the lights when starting the engine. The cable between the switch and the module kept the sidecover in place too
Know Thy Hog