The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Figure Machine
Lowbrow Customs
Lowbrow Customs
Energy One Clutches

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th January 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Wooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick_Man View Post
would body filler work on the hole? what would I use for backing? I was thinking maybe a '72 and up light and body filler around the parts, since it looks like '72 and up and a square hole inthe fender too?
Fiberglass is what you want to use if you go that route to fill the bulk of the hole. Then skim with body filler to get surface smooth.
You want to do the first fiberglassing from underside of fender. Use masking tape or better, blue painters tape, to mask the hole from the top side then apply fiberglass from the bottom side of fender. This is of course after you have ground/sanded all the paint and rust away from both sides of repair area.
Old 19th January 2011
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLC
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GS 750 L
Other Motorcycle Year: 81
thatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud of

...do you happen to have any clearer, color, photos of the bike?
Old 19th January 2011
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
yuri_rage is just really niceyuri_rage is just really niceyuri_rage is just really niceyuri_rage is just really niceyuri_rage is just really niceyuri_rage is just really niceyuri_rage is just really niceyuri_rage is just really niceyuri_rage is just really niceyuri_rage is just really niceyuri_rage is just really nice

I have an '06 1200C rear fender and tail light. I was going to sell the front/rear fenders as a matched set. They are factory cobalt blue with no scratches. Make an offer?

If you're not interested, then I second the fiberglass option. Trying to use body filler on something like that will likely yield very poor results. If you're up for a bigger (or maybe just different) challenge, check out the trailer fender idea.
Old 19th January 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL350
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri_rage View Post
I have an '06 1200C rear fender and tail light. I was going to sell the front/rear fenders as a matched set. They are factory cobalt blue with no scratches. Make an offer?

If you're not interested, then I second the fiberglass option. Trying to use body filler on something like that will likely yield very poor results. If you're up for a bigger (or maybe just different) challenge, check out the trailer fender idea.
An '06 fender is much too wide for the older frames. I wouldn't fill the hole with anything other than a welded-in plate, smoothed with some thin body filler - I think the vibration back there would make short work of a fiberglass patch. The easiest fix is a replacement fender. Here's one on ebay right now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-O...item4aa752a5b3

Of course, if you hate your fender as-is, cutting it off is a no-risk option, other than having to buy a different tail light setup. If you like it, great, and if you don't, then you can find a replacement.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it (especially if you don't know what you're doing). Most Sportster problems are owner-induced.
Old 19th January 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with the people who say just get another to replace yours. I have seen them at swap meets for pretty cheap. Trying to fill that hole with glass and filler isnt gonna work, the hole is just too big, vibration is not to be underestimated.
Know Thy Hog

Old 19th January 2011
Know It All

yuri_rage is just really niceyuri_rage is just really niceyuri_rage is just really niceyuri_rage is just really niceyuri_rage is just really niceyuri_rage is just really niceyuri_rage is just really niceyuri_rage is just really niceyuri_rage is just really niceyuri_rage is just really niceyuri_rage is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83XLX View Post
An '06 fender is much too wide for the older frames.
Fair enough. I'm not very familiar with the older bikes.

I completely agree that using a welder is the ideal solution for fixing the old fender. However, I was under the impression that the OP had limited tools.
Old 19th January 2011
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH/I.R.C. Special
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Ivan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really nice
Default Yep, yep, yep. Replacement fenders are cheap & plentiful...

...on eGay.
If you want to roll your own, start with a boat trailer fender and do it up as you wish.
You can decide the exact radius, fender skirt length, and mounting options.

You haven't TRULY lived until you've built a bike with a boat trailer fender and an oil tank made up out of two fire extinguisher halves welded together.
Old 19th January 2011

Sportster/Buell Model: 1981 IronHead
Other Motorcycle Model: 1975 Aermacchi/H-D SX 175
Stick_Man is on a distinguished roadStick_Man is on a distinguished roadStick_Man is on a distinguished road

How is a '72 and up tailight secured to the fender? I'm thinking there's a reason this guy has a hole in his too...

http://www.custompainters.org/Image.asp?ImageID=971

I think there's supposed to be a square hole in the '72 and up, while '72 and down, has a recess that the light sits in. I can simply buy one of those old '72 lights and some body filler to square it out and be done???

Although a part of me wants something like this since it's different.... http://www.sporty-ironheads.com/iron...000_by_Jon.php

I don't want to F it up though. You think some little custom shop can do it for like under 150 dollars with the license plate bracket and side light included?

ebay ones are pieces of shit that will require repaint and it would be tough to match. The good thing about mine is that it matches
Old 19th January 2011

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

my 74 has an indent and a square hole. There is a folded sheet piece that the light bolts to. Sorry I dont have a pic of it not installed.
Old 19th January 2011
Know It All

Stick Man, any of the proposed fixes would require paint matching. It's easier to paint a whole fender in a closely matched color than it is to patch a spot on old, faded paint. There's no way that you're going to be able to use Bondo alone to square off that hole, especially if you're mounting something in/on it.
Know Thy Hog