The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Foxcreek Leather  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Cafe Racer Sportster Motorcycle Talk
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Cafe Racer Sportster Motorcycle Talk Sleek, fast and cool. Discuss your Cafe Racer Sportster Motorcycle

Members Birthdays
flashedwards (64), Reeky (62), feets (61), Eastern Shore XL (59), beeman07, Ironhead Zombie (43), pilot (40), Rik (40), joker13 (39), naturegirl77 (34), oliver81 (33), walkingblind
Superbrace
Get Lowered
Sportster Specialty
Dead Creek Cycles

Lowbrow Customs
Tags
cafe

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd February 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
steelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmellis View Post

Isn't that the famous motorcycling Vicar, second from the right w/pipe?

...ops, sorry. Don't mind me. Go back to posting those great pictures, guys.
Yep, that's "Father Bill", who set up the 59 Club in London.
Old 4th February 2012
Master Mechanic

Location: Bourbon smoked hills of TN just a wee bit South of Bardstown
Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Blast
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
switchblade7.62x51 is on a distinguished roadswitchblade7.62x51 is on a distinguished roadswitchblade7.62x51 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelworker View Post
They used to do exactly that... the model was called the "Buell".
I have to disagree with that. Buell's were alwasy more akin to Sporty powered sport bikes, but never in the sam eleague as a true cafe racer. If HD would bring back the looks of the XLCR crossed with a little bit of Lucifer's Hammer, a good rigid monoshock rear, and inverted adjustable forks, I would sell my left nut, my first born, and rent out my ol lady to pay for one. That new XL1200X...not quite. Still too much flat tracker and not enough real cafe or road racer
Old 4th February 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: SuperLow
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
maltesefalcon has much to be proud ofmaltesefalcon has much to be proud ofmaltesefalcon has much to be proud ofmaltesefalcon has much to be proud ofmaltesefalcon has much to be proud ofmaltesefalcon has much to be proud ofmaltesefalcon has much to be proud ofmaltesefalcon has much to be proud ofmaltesefalcon has much to be proud ofmaltesefalcon has much to be proud ofmaltesefalcon has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchblade7.62x51 View Post
I have to disagree with that. Buell's were alwasy more akin to Sporty powered sport bikes, but never in the sam eleague as a true cafe racer. If HD would bring back the looks of the XLCR crossed with a little bit of Lucifer's Hammer, a good rigid monoshock rear, and inverted adjustable forks, I would sell my left nut, my first born, and rent out my ol lady to pay for one. That new XL1200X...not quite. Still too much flat tracker and not enough real cafe or road racer
I would agree. I had a 2000 Buell Cyclone and I'd put them in their own niche. Not a true sportbike IMHO but it was not a cafe racer. Nice ride though-I sold it because it was better suited to riders 5'-10" or so. I'm only 5'-4"

To me a real cafe racer has to have a somewhat homegrown look ie a modified standard motorcycle. A factory cafe racer which started out as a sport bike in the first place is not the same.
Old 4th February 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

steelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdesign View Post
Seriously though, if harley made a cafe racer along the veins of the ducati sports classic, but had upside down forks, and a monoshock rear, i'd sell my mother to buy one.
Quote:
They used to do exactly that... the model was called the "Buell".
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchblade7.62x51 View Post
I have to disagree with that. Buell's were alwasy more akin to Sporty powered sport bikes, but never in the same league as a true cafe racer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltesefalcon View Post
I would agree. I had a 2000 Buell Cyclone and I'd put them in their own niche. Not a true sportbike IMHO but it was not a cafe racer.

To me a real cafe racer has to have a somewhat homegrown look ie a modified standard motorcycle. A factory cafe racer which started out as a sport bike in the first place is not the same.
Well, the Buells had the Sportster motor in a chassis that handled, with the adjustable upside-down forks and monoshock that you want. I'd agree that a cafe racer needs a somewhat homegrown look to it, but the Buells were a good basis for that. Here's just one example, where the owner has achieved a real classic look...

Old 4th February 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Myles- I'm with you 100% on this one, an excellant example.
I.B.A.#26543, Old age and treachery ALWAYS overcome youth and skill! ******** Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they grow old because they quit playing
Know Thy Hog

Old 4th February 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FJR1300
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
Ray 911s is an unknown quantity at this point

That Buell looks great. Anyone know what that exhaust is? That would give me the cornering clearance I need and open up the whole world of options for rear sets.
Old 4th February 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883r -1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: 850 Yamaha TRX
Other Motorcycle Year: 98
tich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond repute

I sore this parked up in a Yorkshire village last year.

Old 4th February 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray 911s View Post
That Buelow looks great. Anyone know what that exhaust is? That would give me the cornering clearance I need and open up the whole world of options for rear sets.
If you mean this Buell...

Quote:

... those are stock Buell headers with an aftermarket muffler (which is in the same place as the stock Buell muffler). I've seen it done on Sportsters - you just have to rig up a bracket to hold the muffler under the frame. Buell engines sit a little higher than Sportsters, so you may have to watch your ground clearance riding up kerbs, etc, but it would certainly give a lot more clearance when leaning the bike through bends. And yes, rearsets would not be an issue.
Old 4th February 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster Sport XL1200S
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Fatboy 1450 FLSTFI
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki KDX125sr
Other Motorcycle Year: 1991
Big-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to allBig-Ed is a name known to all

Quote:
If you mean this Buell...

... those are stock Buell headers with an aftermarket muffler (which is in the same place as the stock Buell muffler). I've seen it done on Sportsters - you just have to rig up a bracket to hold the muffler under the frame. Buell engines sit a little higher than Sportsters, so you may have to watch your ground clearance riding up kerbs, etc, but it would certainly give a lot more clearance when leaning the bike through bends. And yes, rearsets would not be an issue.

Do you not have to watch for the front exhaust pipe clearence issues with the Buell pipes on a sportster?, Seem to think someone said its a tight fit & can require a bend/kink put in the pipe to clear the frame?..

Heres a sportster with Buell style system fitted...

1998 XL1200S - Harley 2-1 fitted with V&H SS2R, SE race ignition (7500rpm) with matched SE coil, SE yellow leads, NGK Iridium spark plugs, NRHS HurricaneFlow 3" centre hamcan filter, usual 'S' engine internals (w-grind cams, flat top pistons & 10:1 higher comp twin plug heads), SE heavier clutch spring. Soon to have SE 42mm hsr mikuni carb..
Old 4th February 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Ed View Post
Do you not have to watch for the front exhaust pipe clearence issues with the Buell pipes on a sportster?, Seem to think someone said its a tight fit & can require a bend/kink put in the pipe to clear the frame?
Quite possibly, as Buells have no lower frame rails. That's a partickerly fine example!
Know Thy Hog