The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bike Bandit  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
collinsb (70), bulldog1200C (56), DrBlond (51), Moonpie (49), mercybeat (44), mogwai (40), Ratster, E.MCCOLLOM (37)
Superbrace
Sky Smith Insurance
Foxcreek Leather
RYCA Motors

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st January 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead-73/74 frame/eng.
Sportster/Buell Year: 73
Other Motorcycle Model: suzuki hayabusa
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
dointheton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 'ham can' air filter on ironhead with cv carb

okay my newly bought ironhead has a evo cv carb with an air raid type filter on it. i want to convert it to an original style ham can oval filter. do i need an evo one, an ironhead one or parts from both to make one. anyone done this?
Old 21st January 2011
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1973
Other Motorcycle Model: flhtc
Other Motorcycle Year: 1993
80xlPaul will become famous soon enough80xlPaul will become famous soon enough80xlPaul will become famous soon enough80xlPaul will become famous soon enough80xlPaul will become famous soon enough80xlPaul will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't want to restrict the air flow, most run a high flow filter with better pipes
Old 21st January 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

Not sure but I think you will find you need an Evo-specific air filter, it will have a notch in the top to allow clearance for where the diaphragm housing sticks out at the top of the carb body. But you could always cut a notch out the backplate of an Ironhead filter and weld a suitable filler in place.
Old 21st January 2011
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant future

I am getting confused between the filter itself and the air cleaner&backplate which is the housing that holds the filter. Anyway, the IronHead air cleaner backplate will not attach to a CV carb. So you need the Evo backplate and filter for sure. Not sure about the rest.
Old 21st January 2011
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
I am getting confused between the filter itself and the air cleaner&backplate which is the housing that holds the filter. Anyway, the IronHead air cleaner backplate will not attach to a CV carb. So you need the Evo backplate and filter for sure. Not sure about the rest.
sorry wrong terminology. i meant air cleaner assembly. the evo style backing plate is supported on the heads by the air breather bolts. no such mounting on the earlier ironhead engines. the backing plate is also secured by if i remember correctly three allen or torx head bolts to the carb itself. i don't think used by themselves the carb bolts will securely hold the air cleaner assembly. how is the stock ironhead oval air cleaner mounted to the stock carb?
Know Thy Hog

Old 21st January 2011
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
IronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant future

Here's a stock 70s A/C backplate ...

Note the indented part - the Keihin butterfly carb fits in there and is attached with three bolts; the CV carb will not fit into that indent. A support bracket attaches between the backplate and the front intake lifter block bolt.

I believe the outer cover may be the same?, so perhaps with a 70s trim plate it could retain the 70s look.
Old 21st January 2011
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
Here's a stock 70s A/C backplate ...

Note the indented part - the Keihin butterfly carb fits in there and is attached with three bolts; the CV carb will not fit into that indent. A support bracket attaches between the backplate and the front intake lifter block bolt.

I believe the outer cover may be the same?, so perhaps with a 70s trim plate it could retain the 70s look.
\

looks like evo it is with some other fabbed bracket to support for the weight of the air cleaner assembly. thanks for the pic and info.
Old 21st January 2011
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xls roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
nikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dointheton View Post
\

looks like evo it is with some other fabbed bracket to support for the weight of the air cleaner assembly. thanks for the pic and info.
Sorry Mick but dointheton is corect it is an evo as as late 70s early 80s is smooth all around with no horn like projection on the front side and more like a bread box in america or in england a bread bin . you are corect on early ham can only fiting on tiltson, bendix and kehien butterfly . cv carbs need an 88 and up style with the horn in the front like the new sportster have . Nikki
Old 21st January 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL350
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of

You need an Evo air cleaner assembly from '88, '89, or '90. These are the years with a CV carb and without the head breathers. All you need to do is adapt (or make) a simple support bracket for it. You could adapt a '91 or newer one, too, but you'd have to plug the breather holes as well as fab a bracket.

I'd look for one of the older Screamin' Eagle kits for '88-up...they used a nice, flat, high-flow aluminum backplate, an internal velocity ring, and a K&N air filter. All you add is a stock oval cover. Here's an '86-'87 Evo kit I adapted to my Ironhead, but for the earlier Keihin butterfly carb.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it (especially if you don't know what you're doing). Most Sportster problems are owner-induced.
Old 21st January 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCR-1000
Sepixlh is an unknown quantity at this point

You can combine CV backplate and butterfly backplate, here link to other site were I posted pics how I did conversion with Mikuni HSR42

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/4505960-post4.html
Know Thy Hog