The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding with disability
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Riding with disability Discussions on how to ride with minor or major disabilities.

Members Birthdays
Figure Machine
Superbrace
NHRS Performance
NHRS Performance

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th March 2011
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C - Two Tone Blue
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CM400T
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
bobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the rough

My xrays came back with noticeable cross hatching in the break. So my Orthopedist doesn't feel I need surgery. But I'm still being monitored monthly. I'm using my bone stimulator, taking calcium pill and exercising. I've got to be ready for riding season, cause I sat out last year.

No, he didn't put me on a diet, he said I should be getting my calcium normally, and what my body needs it will take from elsewhere. I think the pills probably did some good, and exercising too. The pain is less, and so's the swelling, I'm starting to tinker in my garage after almost 10 months, so that's a good thing. I measure my health by how much stuff I do around the house. I'm almost back to normal, thinking of painting my kids' room's in the coming weeks, so I must be getting better.

Wrench Head of the Popes of Hell MC
Old 12th March 2011
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
Kudofo is a jewel in the roughKudofo is a jewel in the roughKudofo is a jewel in the roughKudofo is a jewel in the roughKudofo is a jewel in the roughKudofo is a jewel in the roughKudofo is a jewel in the roughKudofo is a jewel in the roughKudofo is a jewel in the roughKudofo is a jewel in the roughKudofo is a jewel in the rough

I would say I pray but I don't know if I can put my faith into all one basket. But know I'm rootin for ya every step of the way. I hope you paint the boys room pink and the girls room blue. (She will like it better anyway)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobberman66 View Post
My xrays came back with noticeable cross hatching in the break. So my Orthopedist doesn't feel I need surgery. But I'm still being monitored monthly. I'm using my bone stimulator, taking calcium pill and exercising. I've got to be ready for riding season, cause I sat out last year.

No, he didn't put me on a diet, he said I should be getting my calcium normally, and what my body needs it will take from elsewhere. I think the pills probably did some good, and exercising too. The pain is less, and so's the swelling, I'm starting to tinker in my garage after almost 10 months, so that's a good thing. I measure my health by how much stuff I do around the house. I'm almost back to normal, thinking of painting my kids' room's in the coming weeks, so I must be getting better.
1987 Harley-Davidson Sportster 883 conversion 1250. Python 3 exhaust, S&S super E Carb, Ported and polished heads, Ported intake manifold, ev3 Cams, Dunlop 401 F, Dunlop K591 Rear, Dual disc front brakes, Progressive front springs, Rear 401 springs/shocks.
Old 12th March 2011
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: sporty
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
03anniverserysporty will become famous soon enough03anniverserysporty will become famous soon enough03anniverserysporty will become famous soon enough03anniverserysporty will become famous soon enough03anniverserysporty will become famous soon enough03anniverserysporty will become famous soon enough

i have titanium plates in c5/c6 posterior and anterior , first fusion failed two screws back out loose. had to go for second operation to stabilze the neck so now have plate infront and behind in neck .. wish i didnt have to have it done i get more pain now than i did with a broken neck .. get second opinion any insurance company worth there salt would be willing to do this
Old 12th March 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
ntgxlf has a spectacular aura aboutntgxlf has a spectacular aura aboutntgxlf has a spectacular aura aboutntgxlf has a spectacular aura aboutntgxlf has a spectacular aura aboutntgxlf has a spectacular aura aboutntgxlf has a spectacular aura aboutntgxlf has a spectacular aura aboutntgxlf has a spectacular aura aboutntgxlf has a spectacular aura about

Broke my tibia about 40 years ago courtesy of a drunk cager & still have the screws they put in . Back then there wasn't the electronic stuff. Had a cast on for 8 1/2 months; last two months of which they made it a walking cast. Point is it took time to heal and the doctor later told me he almost couldn't save the leg because it was a china fracture (lots of pieces and the bone came sticking through) said I was lucky. Anyway, give this some time, definitely get a second opine, and see if it will heal on its own if a second opinion says it will heal in time. Remember to trust your gut. Good luck & hope it works out.

Regards,
Nick (n-nick-]thegreek)
Old 23rd September 2011
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C - Two Tone Blue
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CM400T
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
bobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the roughbobberman66 is a jewel in the rough

Good news, my leg is fully healed. Doc has ok'd me to ride again, and wants to see me again in 4 months for the final follow-up. I've got no pain in my leg at the point of fracture, and I've been running everyday on the treadmill since April. Now if I could just get those darned parts from the 'stealer' I can go ride. Always something!
Know Thy Hog

Old 23rd September 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
ntgxlf has a spectacular aura aboutntgxlf has a spectacular aura aboutntgxlf has a spectacular aura aboutntgxlf has a spectacular aura aboutntgxlf has a spectacular aura aboutntgxlf has a spectacular aura aboutntgxlf has a spectacular aura aboutntgxlf has a spectacular aura aboutntgxlf has a spectacular aura aboutntgxlf has a spectacular aura about

Glad to hear the good news. The running will continue the process of ossification?? and stimulate and further strengthen the break. I've been told that when the bone is finally through "knitting" that it is as strong as it ever was. It's the mental aspect you have to overcome (it will always be broken) so that you don't favor the good one and throw off your walking, posture, etc. Continued good luck and may you be safe from those left-truning cagers.