The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
wallylach (63), cob (60), decman (58), djhannu (52), Vaughn, irishhog (45), dangjalopy (41), earthoverdrive (36), edman87k5 (35), 79iron (32), mr_anti_chrome
Motor Stage
Foxcreek Leather
Energy One Clutches
CV Performance

BIKE BUILDER

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st November 2007
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
CosmoTG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Head Bolts

I am gathering parts for re-assembly of my bike and was wondering if I should buy new head bolts? Secondly is it a good or bad idea to use anti seize compound on them?...Leaving no stone unturned, Cosmo
Old 1st November 2007
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: KHK
Sportster/Buell Year: 1954
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLC
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1958
Other Motorcycle Model: XLRTT
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
thefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nice

Hi CosmoTG,

Reuse them and put a dollop of anti disc brake seize/copper grease on them...

Patrick
Old 2nd November 2007
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrenchowl View Post
... Reuse them and put a dollop of anti disc brake seize/copper grease on them ...
This is because the difference between regular anti-seize and anti disc brake seize/copper grease is: ?????
Old 2nd November 2007
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
CosmoTG is an unknown quantity at this point

I was wondering the same thing...and how much is a dollop? ...Cosmo
Old 2nd November 2007
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead XLT Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBX 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
ericfreeman is a glorious beacon of lightericfreeman is a glorious beacon of lightericfreeman is a glorious beacon of lightericfreeman is a glorious beacon of lightericfreeman is a glorious beacon of lightericfreeman is a glorious beacon of lightericfreeman is a glorious beacon of lightericfreeman is a glorious beacon of lightericfreeman is a glorious beacon of lightericfreeman is a glorious beacon of lightericfreeman is a glorious beacon of light

The copper based anti-seize is often used for spark plug applications and can withstand high temps. But, I just went to McMaster-Carr's website and they list all sorts of anti-seize lubricants, copper based, aluminum, stainless, nickel, lead, etc. and pretty much all of them have high temp capability. I'd imagine any anti-seize compound would work on headbolts. I usually smear enough to give a light coating to about half of the bolt threads, figuring it will work its way into all the threads as the bolt is tightened. You don't have to overdo it.

Eric
Know Thy Hog

Old 2nd November 2007
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDBi Street Bob
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
OutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura about

I use an aluminum based anti-sieze because as everyone knows aluminum transfers heat very well and I have found it doesnt dry up as quick as for example a copper based .But like Eric they all can with stand Hi temps.
http://outlaws-iguana-ranch.com Outlaws Website

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/OutlawTexan67/My%20Ironhead/Gifs/BigRotatingSkull.gif "Ironhead Mafia" European Chapter