The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Figure Machine  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding with disability
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Riding with disability Discussions on how to ride with minor or major disabilities.

Members Birthdays
Motor Stage
Lowbrow Customs
Lowbrow Customs
BIKE BUILDER

883 Sportster

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th January 2011
Riding with Angels

Sportster/Buell Model: Chrome Yellow XL883>1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
XLinAL will become famous soon enoughXLinAL will become famous soon enoughXLinAL will become famous soon enoughXLinAL will become famous soon enoughXLinAL will become famous soon enoughXLinAL will become famous soon enoughXLinAL will become famous soon enough
Default cervical fusion & riding

Haven't posted in a while, just been lurking mostly.

I'm scheduled for level 3 cervical fusion in a little over a week.
Was wondering if anyone out there has had vertebrea in their neck fused and how it affected their ability to ride?
thx

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today"
- James Dean
Old 28th January 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help with that, been dodging spinal surgery for over 30 years myself, still riding.
I.B.A.#26543, Old age and treachery ALWAYS overcome youth and skill! ******** Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they grow old because they quit playing
Old 28th January 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: KZ
Other Motorcycle Year: 79
Silverback is on a distinguished roadSilverback is on a distinguished roadSilverback is on a distinguished road

Take a look at my photos and you will see what a broken neck looks like. If at all possible get pro disc instead of fusion, they are cheaper and better, I have 5 artificial discs and three fussed. Broken back with three disc (Pro Disc) and walked three mile 6 hours after surgery. Checked out of hospital 13 hours after surgery on neck. Hate hospitals I have a favorite hotel with better food and service.
Old 28th January 2011
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant future

For that kind of surgery a 2nd and 3rd opinion/alternative is essential.
Old 28th January 2011
Riding with Angels

Sportster/Buell Model: Chrome Yellow XL883>1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
XLinAL will become famous soon enoughXLinAL will become famous soon enoughXLinAL will become famous soon enoughXLinAL will become famous soon enoughXLinAL will become famous soon enoughXLinAL will become famous soon enoughXLinAL will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
For that kind of surgery a 2nd and 3rd opinion/alternative is essential.
I agree.
Had 2nd opinion. Same answer.

3 alternatives:
1)Live w/ it
2)continue physical therapy, epidurals
3)surgery

Tired of 1. been living w/ it 7 yrs.
2 not effective anymore. it's deteriorated significantly in the last 2 yrs.
leaves 3.
the only thing I haven't tried is accupuncture.
Know Thy Hog

Old 28th January 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
milmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant future

I had a Back surgery back in 1995 and I was lucky and had good results. Many people have had negative results. I think it is Critical To follow the instructions and the exercises they give you. Although they seem trivial they are targeted to your needs and they make a lot of difference in determining your results !..

As for riding, You may find some different bars or different riding positions are in order. But there is no reason that you couldn't adjust and be just fine. Ask the Dr About some simple exercises that allow you to extend your arms as if riding. It's much easier to strengthen those muscles during the recovery period than to try and do it later after everything is healed and grown back..

Good Luck with the surgery and keep in mind that after the surgery you then have a whole new ballgame. Because then you must deal with manmade changes not just a bodily injury. And manmade changes are there for good !

Best Of Luck to you and keep us posted !!
How to Check the Diaphragm! : Diaphragm_Test
REPLACING INTAKE/CARB SEALS:Replacing Intake Seals
MAINTENANCE INFO 04-06 : HANDY REFFERENCE

My futile attempt at Blogging: http://toolstolivewith.blogspot.com/

:
Old 28th January 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
milmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLinAL View Post
I agree.
Had 2nd opinion. Same answer.

3 alternatives:
1)Live w/ it
2)continue physical therapy, epidurals
3)surgery

Tired of 1. been living w/ it 7 yrs.
2 not effective anymore. it's deteriorated significantly in the last 2 yrs.
leaves 3.
the only thing I haven't tried is accupuncture.
Accupuncture is a temporary relief (If Any!) It does sound like you may be at the point where surgery IS the best solution. And it can help ! I truly believe that the Results are very dependant on YOU !
I have a friend that had several fusions done back in 2005 and He returned to work and has had no real trouble since. He lost a small amount of movement in his back, But that was a fair trade for the relief of pain !....
Old 28th January 2011
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Anaxios is a glorious beacon of lightAnaxios is a glorious beacon of lightAnaxios is a glorious beacon of lightAnaxios is a glorious beacon of lightAnaxios is a glorious beacon of lightAnaxios is a glorious beacon of lightAnaxios is a glorious beacon of lightAnaxios is a glorious beacon of lightAnaxios is a glorious beacon of lightAnaxios is a glorious beacon of lightAnaxios is a glorious beacon of light

I knew a guy who broke his neck and had cervical fusion (think it was C3-C4). Took some bone sample out of his femur or something to splice in. Cut down a little on his ability to move his head from lock to lock and had some pain for a long time afterward, but otherwise no problems.

There are a lot a advances in orthopaedics being made now due to the battlefield injuries coming home. Another reason to thank the vets. Good Luck to you.
Old 28th January 2011
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 04
snake oil is just really nicesnake oil is just really nicesnake oil is just really nicesnake oil is just really nicesnake oil is just really nicesnake oil is just really nicesnake oil is just really nicesnake oil is just really nicesnake oil is just really nicesnake oil is just really nicesnake oil is just really nice

My problems are low back. I got three opinions and each surgeon had a different opinion of what would be best for me. I have already had 4 surgeries and suffered what appears to be perminent nerve damage from the 3rd one. I fear fusion, my body rejected the hardware when they bolted the head back on my femur and they tell me i'm not good for disc replacement. I am 2 years into trying not to have more surgeries. I know three riders that have had cervical fusion one at two levels. He still rides dirt bikes but can't turn his head much side to side, one doesn't ride anymore and has problems with migrains, the third seems good as new. 7 years is a long time to live in pain I hope you get the relief you seek.
Old 28th January 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL88"S Sportster Sport
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XR1200X
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2010
simonDyna is a splendid one to beholdsimonDyna is a splendid one to beholdsimonDyna is a splendid one to beholdsimonDyna is a splendid one to beholdsimonDyna is a splendid one to beholdsimonDyna is a splendid one to beholdsimonDyna is a splendid one to beholdsimonDyna is a splendid one to beholdsimonDyna is a splendid one to beholdsimonDyna is a splendid one to beholdsimonDyna is a splendid one to behold

Yes, I have had ALIF and ACDF. Cervical fusions and lumbar fusions and I'm still riding.

Being in the UK where helmets are compulsory, the hardest part of readjusting was finding a legal lightweight helmet.

Actual movement of the neck isn't so bad after the physio, but looking straight up (ie head raising upwards) is still difficult for me.

You will also learn to spot pot holes very quickly! Any jarring will be amplified.

Good luck with the surgery.
Know Thy Hog