The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered Sportster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding with disability
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Riding with disability Discussions on how to ride with minor or major disabilities.

Members Birthdays
oldsporty1 (64), BIRD DOG (58), paris15 (56), thesmithiz (56), pajimmyjoe (55), chuckam (51), steve w (45), le_strike (38), Rubicon (32), r3db3ard3d (26)
Biltwell
NRHS Performance Long 2
Energy One Clutches
Energy One Clutches

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th January 2011
Riding with Angels

Sportster/Buell Model: Chrome Yellow XL883>1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
XLinAL will become famous soon enoughXLinAL will become famous soon enoughXLinAL will become famous soon enoughXLinAL will become famous soon enoughXLinAL will become famous soon enoughXLinAL will become famous soon enoughXLinAL will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all the responses.

In addition to the bulging discs, there are bone spurs the Doc wants to clean up. All that has been pressing on the nerves and playing Hell on my neck, shoulder, and down my left arm to my hand.
In just the last 2 yrs, it's gotten to where I can't go 50 miles w/out having to pull over and knead/ massage/ stretch to get some relief. Not good when you're used to 600-700 mile wknds.

I love my drag bars, but when I come out the other side of this, some ergo changes are in order( bars, seat...).

It's warped, but if it wasn't for riding, I might have just lived w/ it.
It's amazing what you can train yourself to put up with.
I couldn't deal w/ not riding. If this gets me back in the wind eventually...

thx
Richard

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today"
- James Dean
Old 29th January 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
milmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant future

Richard, Another thing to consider is that after some period of time maybe 10-20 yrs even there will be problems show up from the scar tissue etc. And may require another (Less Dramatic) Surgery. My surgery was in 95 and my neurologist just found that I have a ton of nerve damage and Scaring in my back that is adding to my neuropathy pain now !..

Best of Luck !
How to Check the Diaphragm! : Diaphragm_Test
REPLACING INTAKE/CARB SEALS:Replacing Intake Seals
MAINTENANCE INFO 04-06 : HANDY REFFERENCE

My futile attempt at Blogging: http://toolstolivewith.blogspot.com/

:
Old 2nd February 2011
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Ridley 570 speedster
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
shortysporty05 has a spectacular aura aboutshortysporty05 has a spectacular aura aboutshortysporty05 has a spectacular aura aboutshortysporty05 has a spectacular aura aboutshortysporty05 has a spectacular aura aboutshortysporty05 has a spectacular aura aboutshortysporty05 has a spectacular aura aboutshortysporty05 has a spectacular aura aboutshortysporty05 has a spectacular aura aboutshortysporty05 has a spectacular aura aboutshortysporty05 has a spectacular aura about

Hi there. Every case is different but, in Feb. 2002 I had C6 or 7 replaced. They used donor bone and metal plate with 4 screws. Best decision I ever made, could barely walk and I was in a lot of pain all the time.
I've been riding since 2004 and like SimonDyna said, you tend to watch more for the bumps. My Dr said even a 5mph fender bender will paralyze me, so I pay attention when friends are playing ball and throwing things also. I always wear a helmet riding and if we have a constant strong wind and crosswind, I will tire quicker and I'll ache for a while after. Usual riding does not bother me, we have gone on 400-500 mile rides in a day with no problems.
Good luck with your surgery, keep us informed and back to riding quickly. Listen to the Doctors they know what they are doing.
Old 2nd February 2011
Riding with Angels

Sportster/Buell Model: Chrome Yellow XL883>1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
XLinAL will become famous soon enoughXLinAL will become famous soon enoughXLinAL will become famous soon enoughXLinAL will become famous soon enoughXLinAL will become famous soon enoughXLinAL will become famous soon enoughXLinAL will become famous soon enough

Well, surgery set for 8am Monday. (2/7/11).

Got a lot to do to prepare... clean apt, laundry, stock the pantry & fridge, bendy straws. Gotta rearrange the kitchen & move stuff below shoulder level.
got a ride to/ from lined up (in a car).

Just got the pre/post op instructions.
no smokes for 3 days b4!???
I can do the no food/ drink 8 hrs before, but no cigarettes for three days?
Shit! It says stop illicit drugs 24 hrs before, but cigs 3 days before? WTF!
Rant off. Wish me luck...
Old 2nd February 2011
Turbo Mafia Test Rider

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250NT LSR #1171
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200RT
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Nytstr has much to be proud ofNytstr has much to be proud ofNytstr has much to be proud ofNytstr has much to be proud ofNytstr has much to be proud ofNytstr has much to be proud ofNytstr has much to be proud ofNytstr has much to be proud ofNytstr has much to be proud ofNytstr has much to be proud ofNytstr has much to be proud of
Default Good Luck!

Smoking will negatively affect your recovery.

I have radiculopathy, DJD, and DDD at just about every level of my spine. Pain is always there. My wife had cervical fusion, and while it eliminated the numbness in her arms, it did nothing for the pain. Hopefully you will have better results.

When I bought my Nightster, I could not ride to the local H-D shop, 10 miles, without my right arm going numb. That's why I put buckhorns on, and now I can ride at least 275 miles in a day w/o any issue (other than numb butt!). You might consider changing yours before you do this as it might make a big difference.

RIP Sky Sanders
TGB #8
#1999 1350 APS-PBG AMA/USFRA current
"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T. S. Eliot

Support Your Local Land Speed Racer -
The Last Truly Amateur American Racing!
Know Thy Hog

Old 3rd February 2011
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Ridley 570 speedster
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
shortysporty05 has a spectacular aura aboutshortysporty05 has a spectacular aura aboutshortysporty05 has a spectacular aura aboutshortysporty05 has a spectacular aura aboutshortysporty05 has a spectacular aura aboutshortysporty05 has a spectacular aura aboutshortysporty05 has a spectacular aura aboutshortysporty05 has a spectacular aura aboutshortysporty05 has a spectacular aura aboutshortysporty05 has a spectacular aura aboutshortysporty05 has a spectacular aura about

Good luck and hoping for the best! Wind in your hair soon,
Old 7th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
hdphil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default pain

ive had both cervicle and back surgeries,i'm 63 and still ride my sporty,the only problem i have is that i can no longer turn my neck fully to the right so you will have to turn your body with your head.as far as back pain i live with it along with lydacane patches which help on the long rides. good luck
Old 14th June 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW
Other Motorcycle Year: 1973
Motorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura about

I have a bud with a fused neck, he still rides his Beemer (BMW)

Harley can be the most demanding of the body effort toward Ergos is going to the right area

knowing the areas is priceless

Harley's Vibrate, so ideas of lower speed and padding the punch are best effort ideals
proper clothing protects Anti vibe glove prolongs ear plugs soften sound

Good Phy condition if meds or condition exist what relief "works" that keep others safe and you alive
Old 14th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
knut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to all

Take 10 different people having the same procedure for the same problem and they will have 10 different results. Largely a crap shoot but I feel your pain. Rode my FJ off of a cliff 8 yrs. ago destroying two vertebrae and making me an inch shorter. Took a while for things to get back to "normal." but was riding again within months. The results of my crash largely went unnoticed until I got hold of an 04' XL1200C a few days ago and took it for a ride on some bumpy twisties. Still sore. Need to seriously upgrade the shocks and forks... great on the smooth sweepers though...

I hope things work out well for you...
Old 25th June 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Ice is a jewel in the roughIce is a jewel in the roughIce is a jewel in the roughIce is a jewel in the roughIce is a jewel in the roughIce is a jewel in the roughIce is a jewel in the roughIce is a jewel in the roughIce is a jewel in the roughIce is a jewel in the roughIce is a jewel in the rough

I had C6 and C7 fused a year ago, some times I can ride all day other times, not.
"Some people will tell you that slow is good-and it may be, on some days...but I'm here to tell you that fast is better.I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me.Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.That is why God made fast motorcycles ..." - Hunter S. Thompson
Know Thy Hog