The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bison Motorsports  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
S&S Cycle
Biltwell
Bison Motorsports
Superbrace

Figure Machine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd February 2011
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
hogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura about
Default intake seals

OK how come the parts book for my 80 and any parts catalog list the intake seals as the rubber band type but my 80 has the O-ring type on it, the heads and manifold are made for the o-ring. so you have to get an o-ring that is listed for 77 and earlier, anyone else run across this. Also was reading the stickies on intake leaks and decided to check mine, way off so loosened up the cyl. base nuts and alined it up good, by the way don't forget to loosend up the two motor mounts on the rocker boxes also, doesn't like to move if you don't (found that out). Great information on this site even for guys that has been working on harleys for 30 or more years.
Old 2nd February 2011
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant future

At 30+ years old they may not be the original heads?
Old 2nd February 2011
Chief Harley Engineer

hogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura about

that's true might not be. they do have the bosses on front with the threaded holes for the air cleaner supports. most date stamps on the engine are late 79. Just wondering if anyone else ran across this or not or maybe HD still had a bunch of earlier head casting they were getting rid of.
Old 2nd February 2011
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: chopper looking thing
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph POS
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
hcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to behold

Seems that about half the time a used Sporty will be a mix of parts. I have a motor torn down right now, [79]. It has an 80 head, 77 head, Andrews 2nd gear, mixed tappet guides, 81 sprocket cover, Spyke generator, Kibblewhite valves, aluminum spring retainers. Lord knows what's on the rest of the bike. Our joke around here is that HD invented the Sporty to keep swap meets alive.
Old 2nd February 2011
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
IronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
At 30+ years old they may not be the original heads?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogmania View Post
that's true might not be. they do have the bosses on front with the threaded holes for the air cleaner supports. ...
Good point. My 1980 also had the o-ring flanges and the threaded air cleaner support holes; and i was initially confused by the difference from the factory parts manual. Then i just forgot about it until now.
Know Thy Hog

Old 2nd February 2011
Chief Harley Engineer

I've noticed other guys saying something about o-rings on the later model IH's on here so I figured some of em have o-rings and some of em have rubber bands just trying to see if that's the norm. But there is always that chance that the heads have been replaced since I haven't owned this one since new. It's pretty well stock and has been setting since 91 before I got it (last inspection sticker was 91)