The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Cherrylady2 (58), kkbii (51), Cholo, Quebeker, poboy_27 (43), jay 21 (41), Matt-04-883 (40), timhypo (39), harleybuell2000 (38), Biker-Dale (36)
Biltwell
Sky Smith Insurance
Energy One Clutches
Lowbrow Customs

Speedway Instruments

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd February 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 79xlh
IronheadMatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help

Help i was doing some work to my topend today and accidentally dropped a cylinder base nut into the crankcase.The motor is out of the bike and on a workbench is there anyway i can get the nut out without splitting the cases any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated
Old 2nd February 2011
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: FXRS Low Rider
Other Motorcycle Year: 1986
oldnavy is on a distinguished roadoldnavy is on a distinguished roadoldnavy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronheadMatt View Post
Help i was doing some work to my topend today and accidentally dropped a cylinder base nut into the crankcase.The motor is out of the bike and on a workbench is there anyway i can get the nut out without splitting the cases any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated
If you have the jugs off, get an extended magnet and fish around. You may be able to turn the engine upside down and shake it loose and out.
Old 2nd February 2011
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
tensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
If you have the jugs off, get an extended magnet and fish around. You may be able to turn the engine upside down and shake it loose and out.
exactly what he said , if you have to split the cases do it right and measure tolerences and do a full rebuild
Old 2nd February 2011
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 08
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 77
dr.feltersnatch has much to be proud ofdr.feltersnatch has much to be proud ofdr.feltersnatch has much to be proud ofdr.feltersnatch has much to be proud ofdr.feltersnatch has much to be proud ofdr.feltersnatch has much to be proud ofdr.feltersnatch has much to be proud ofdr.feltersnatch has much to be proud ofdr.feltersnatch has much to be proud ofdr.feltersnatch has much to be proud ofdr.feltersnatch has much to be proud of

Get a super strong magnet on a string or a stick and fish for it. Try turning it upside down and blow some compressed air in there and see if it will rattle loose. just take your time and you will get it.
Old 2nd February 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

DR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud of

ok what did i miss? turn motor upside and shake. no?
Know Thy Hog

Old 2nd February 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, use the magnet trick tho' I'm not sure I'd use a magnet on a string. Too likely to also lose the magnet.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 2nd February 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL350
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of

You need to fish with a magnet on something stiffer than a string. A magnet on a string will go straight for the flywheels every time you lower it into the crankcase. Before you fish for the nut, a mechanic's mirror might be handy to possibly see where it went.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it (especially if you don't know what you're doing). Most Sportster problems are owner-induced.
Old 3rd February 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH (mongrel)
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
85mm is a jewel in the rough85mm is a jewel in the rough85mm is a jewel in the rough85mm is a jewel in the rough85mm is a jewel in the rough85mm is a jewel in the rough85mm is a jewel in the rough85mm is a jewel in the rough85mm is a jewel in the rough85mm is a jewel in the rough85mm is a jewel in the rough

Prop it upside down on some wood blocks and rotate the flywheels. There are lots of places where the clearances are too close for the nut to pass through, so you are hoping to get the nut to go between the flywheels. It make take some time.
Old 3rd February 2011
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead Chopper
Sportster/Buell Year: 84
Other Motorcycle Model: Kaw Z1 900
Other Motorcycle Year: 1973
jonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura about

they sell magnet on a flexible stem for this purpose at any auto parts store
I also once took a shop vac and a piece of clear hose, duck taped it to the end of the nozzle to vacum crap out, might also work for this
Old 3rd February 2011
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
SCchopper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnybravo View Post
they sell magnet on a flexible stem for this purpose at any auto parts store
I also once took a shop vac and a piece of clear hose, duck taped it to the end of the nozzle to vacum crap out, might also work for this
Get the smallest shop vac fitting and stretch something like pantyhose over the end, trim the excess hosery and rubberband it to the vacuums fitting. Then, get a couple of buddies to hold the engine and while rotating toward as you fish it out with the suction. The pantyhose will prevent it from going up the vacuum hose. You can use any vacuum, but shop vacs are stronger and don't really require the "hosery screening", as long as you're willing to pull it from the mucky tank. If you had a larger sorta clear flexible hose you could duct tape that to an open vacuum hose and get it from anywhere.
Not all bolts are ferrous? A magnet may not always work?
Know Thy Hog