The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions Advice, questions, and tips for 1200, 1250, 1340, 1450 etc... for Sportster and Buell motorcycle engine conversions

Members Birthdays
NRHS Performance Long 2
Speedway Instruments
Licks Holiday
Lowbrow Customs

Biltwell
Tags
883, converstion, performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th February 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
01norcalsporty is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttopbandit View Post
My 883 hangs "just fine" with my buddy's 1200 S, that is, until we get to the upper end of 5th, the he starts pulling on me. Mine? A 98 883 Hugger, with a Screamin Eagle 1200 pistons and jugs, stock heads and cams. Add my screamin eagle exhaust and she scoots fine. The gearing helps alot, but I am thinkin about changin pulleys for mor highway...maybe....
How many teeth are you considering going up and on which pully? I understand you can change either the sprocket on the output of the motor or the pully/sprocket on the rear wheel.
Old 20th February 2011
Biker

camcarvin is on a distinguished roadcamcarvin is on a distinguished roadcamcarvin is on a distinguished roadcamcarvin is on a distinguished roadcamcarvin is on a distinguished road

No way hes doin 140 mph with his 1250 build if hes runnin the 28 tooth 883 pulley !
Old 20th February 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 94
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 03
Flamin883 has a spectacular aura aboutFlamin883 has a spectacular aura aboutFlamin883 has a spectacular aura aboutFlamin883 has a spectacular aura aboutFlamin883 has a spectacular aura aboutFlamin883 has a spectacular aura aboutFlamin883 has a spectacular aura aboutFlamin883 has a spectacular aura aboutFlamin883 has a spectacular aura aboutFlamin883 has a spectacular aura aboutFlamin883 has a spectacular aura about

One thing that no one has mentioned, is the fact that you can actually have a better preforming longer lasting engine after the upgrade if you have it done correctly. all the OEM parts meet the factory specs and are just pulled from a bin, so it is possible that you end up with a rear jug on the outer/upper limit of specs a rear piston on the lower end of spec. while the front is exactly the opposite so you end up with kinde of a missmatch. but when you have a quality shop set things up for you you can come out with exactly .002 clearance on both. same goes with the chambers of the heads there can and probably will be slight differances, but I know both of mine are just shy of 56 cc's and identical, this makes for a much smoother running engine I still run the 883 gearing and can see out of the mirrors at 85+ in 4th gear. But it's not anywhere near a fair comparison to a stck 1200
SE ac, SE bolt in cams
CS tapered cut exhaust
Old 17th March 2011
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Scrapper is a glorious beacon of lightScrapper is a glorious beacon of lightScrapper is a glorious beacon of lightScrapper is a glorious beacon of lightScrapper is a glorious beacon of lightScrapper is a glorious beacon of lightScrapper is a glorious beacon of lightScrapper is a glorious beacon of lightScrapper is a glorious beacon of lightScrapper is a glorious beacon of lightScrapper is a glorious beacon of light

The stock 883 crank shaft has a lighter balance weight on it due to the smaller 883 pistons so 883 conversion pistons are normally lighter than stock 1200 pistons(as well as having a reverse dome for dropping compression)
So technically an 883 /1200 conversion should spin up faster and have better throttle response than a stock 1200.
Now this is where people fall down,
Not installing bigger 1200 sized valves.
Installing 1200 heads and normal 1200 weighted pistons in an 883 bottom end.
And as mentioned the gearing of your front pulley is 1 tooth smaller in the 883 which will hurt you on the highway against your 1200 buddy.
hopes this makes some sense.
Old 17th March 2011
Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH Lo 1200 conv.
Sportster/Buell Year: 1989
Big_Baazzoo is just really niceBig_Baazzoo is just really niceBig_Baazzoo is just really niceBig_Baazzoo is just really niceBig_Baazzoo is just really niceBig_Baazzoo is just really niceBig_Baazzoo is just really niceBig_Baazzoo is just really niceBig_Baazzoo is just really niceBig_Baazzoo is just really niceBig_Baazzoo is just really nice

yeah, it's that front pulley that needs changing.

Old 17th March 2011
A Million Facts & Figures

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
aswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
The stock 883 crank shaft has a lighter balance weight on it due to the smaller 883 pistons
No it doesn't. The Motor Co went to a common flywheel assembly in the mid 90's.
Old 17th March 2011
Chief Harley Engineer

Scrapper is a glorious beacon of lightScrapper is a glorious beacon of lightScrapper is a glorious beacon of lightScrapper is a glorious beacon of lightScrapper is a glorious beacon of lightScrapper is a glorious beacon of lightScrapper is a glorious beacon of lightScrapper is a glorious beacon of lightScrapper is a glorious beacon of lightScrapper is a glorious beacon of lightScrapper is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswracing View Post
No it doesn't. The Motor Co went to a common flywheel assembly in the mid 90's.
I stand corrected so is that why the new 1200s vibrate like hell, is the crank balance factor matched for 883s ?
Old 17th March 2011
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200X Turbo 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200 Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2008
Turbo Sporty 48 has disabled reputation
Default Vibrate Like Hell?

Scrapper,
Mine does not vibrate that bad at all. Unless you compared it to a ricer, which I am not.
When looking I checked out the non-rubbermounts.
Maybe you are seeing bad tunes?

Quote:
I stand corrected so is that why the new 1200s vibrate like hell, is the crank balance factor matched for 883s ?
Old 17th March 2011
Chief Harley Engineer

Compare it to a new 883 they vibrate, unless somehow magically HD have managed to perfectly split the difference with their common flywheel assy.
Old 17th March 2011
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200X Turbo 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200 Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2008
Turbo Sporty 48 has disabled reputation
Default Smaller Can Be Better

Lots of good things to say about the 883, now that is one of them that I did not know.

Quote:
Compare it to a new 883 they vibrate, unless somehow magically HD have managed to perfectly split the difference with their common flywheel assy.
Know Thy Hog