The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
excel50 (73), blazer95 (64), mycle1000 (59), Barryn37 (53), QBALL (53), paulieb (52), cfranz (41), BMXATV (40), ravyn3 (35), Texas_Wild, hillpope (32)
Lowbrow Customs
Superbrace
Motor Stage
NHRS Performance

Fix My Hog

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th February 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Yanceman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Drag Pipes

My ride is a 2001 XLH1200 and I want to put on 2 inch diameter drag pipes. I have installed forward controls. My question is do I have to buy pipes designed for a 1200 custom or the standard?
Old 5th February 2011
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
AsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond repute

I believe 1 3/4ths pipes will make your bike run much better for a street bike.
Old 5th February 2011
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
unfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the rough

1.75 inner and 2.0 outer are the same size..right?
Old 5th February 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlx61
Sportster/Buell Year: 85
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xl1200r
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 05
Other Motorcycle Model: yamaha vstar 650 custom
Other Motorcycle Year: 00
mycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfiguroutable View Post
1.75 inner and 2.0 outer are the same size..right?
no. both dimensions are outer.
Old 5th February 2011
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
unfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the roughunfiguroutable is a jewel in the rough
Default hmm

ok then my bike comes stock with 1.75 inch pipes...good to know..though I have already replaced all that
Know Thy Hog

Old 5th February 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1250 hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xb12 supper TT
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: can-am renegade 800
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
ian03xl is on a distinguished roadian03xl is on a distinguished roadian03xl is on a distinguished road

To answer your question it doesn't matter what model sportster as long as the year listed matches the year of your bike. I know some years are different than others but engine size and model make no difference with exception to the xr1200. someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 5th February 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian03xl View Post
To answer your question it doesn't matter what model sportster as long as the year listed matches the year of your bike. I know some years are different than others but engine size and model make no difference with exception to the xr1200. someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Well, your partly right. As long as the pipes say they will fit with forward controls you'll be good to go. As far as the year goes, pretty much any will fit that are for the years 1986-2003. But as ASONTV says, straight drags at 2" diameter is going to run like crap at low and mid range RPM. Unless your going to run at wide out throttle all the time (the drag strip) your much better off going with another pipe. Drag pipes are for the drag strip.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 5th February 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1250 hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xb12 supper TT
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: can-am renegade 800
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
ian03xl is on a distinguished roadian03xl is on a distinguished roadian03xl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharback View Post
Well, your partly right. As long as the pipes say they will fit with forward controls you'll be good to go. As far as the year goes, pretty much any will fit that are for the years 1986-2003. But as ASONTV says, straight drags at 2" diameter is going to run like crap at low and mid range RPM. Unless your going to run at wide out throttle all the time (the drag strip) your much better off going with another pipe. Drag pipes are for the drag strip.
You are correct sir I forgot to mention the forwards. And by year I just meant anything newer than 03 will not necessarily fit. I will also testify (as will almost everyone else on this forum) that drag pipes do not perform well on the street and they're only good for making a lot of noise.
Old 6th February 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlx61
Sportster/Buell Year: 85
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xl1200r
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 05
Other Motorcycle Model: yamaha vstar 650 custom
Other Motorcycle Year: 00
mycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to all

noise, obnoxious noise is what some people consider performance.
Old 6th February 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1998 S= Superior Model
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
shotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond repute

Here we go again Drag pipes will work and do not have to be loud and obnoxious ! and use the 1.75 pipes and then read this to help tune it properly and I can Provide a Dyno sheet that says you can tune it properly

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/exhaust.htm
Know Thy Hog