The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bike Bandit  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Foxcreek Leather
Figure Machine
Get Lowered
Biltwell

Lickscycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th February 2011
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Maxxra is on a distinguished roadMaxxra is on a distinguished road
Default Help With Wiring (Diagram)

Hi all-

I took a picture of most of my components, and I wired it up to how I think it should go according to the plethora of diagrams I found in the stickis.

Questions:

1) Do I have it wired up correctly?
2) Are the colors correct for the wires?
3) For the coil, how do I know which one is the -ve and which end is the +ve? The one in the picture is mine, and it doesnt have any markings.
4) I'm using the special gauge wires for the battery terminals and standard gauge for everything else - does the Solenoid to Starter wire include this?
5) I'm not using a key - just a start button and an on/off switch. Its hard to see from here but the switch is in the off position in the picture (pointing down). Is that wired right?

I realize this is only for the starting and charging portion of the wiring. I havent put any blinkers or lights on the bike yet.

Thanks!
-Max
Old 7th February 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to all

#2. it really doesn't matter what colors you use, as long as you know what is what.
#3. the coil is universal. it doesn't matter which side gets the +12. typically the points or ei connect to the right side when it's mounted on the bike simply because the points are on the right.

when you say "standard gauge for everything else" what gauges are you using specifically? it's important to have the proper wire gauges...

as for the rest someone else better versed in electric start will have better answers for the rest of your questions.
Old 7th February 2011
Master Custom Bike Builder

Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
piniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to all

Your starter wiring looks OK as long as the wire (shown red) going from the battery + post to the solenoid connects to the longest stud on the solenoid.
The shorter stud on the solenoid connects to the starter motor.

Then after all the wires are connected to the machine and before you start it be sure to 'flash the field'. Then start the engine.
pg
Old 7th February 2011
Know It All

Piniongear -

I did indeed mix up the two posts for the solenoid - the top one is the longest and should go to the bat.

Did you mean all of the wiring looks good in the diag, or just the Solenoid / Starter bit?

I was reading through the instructions for polarizing the generator - I think I have it down.

Thanks
Max
Old 7th February 2011
Master Custom Bike Builder

Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
piniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxra View Post
Piniongear -

I did indeed mix up the two posts for the solenoid - the top one is the longest and should go to the bat.

Did you mean all of the wiring looks good in the diag, or just the Solenoid / Starter bit?

I was reading through the instructions for polarizing the generator - I think I have it down.

Thanks
Max

I think you have all the wiring correct.
The only comment I can make is if you have a 1971 model, I believe it did not come equipped with a starter relay.
I could be mistaken of course.

Looking at a diagram of a 1971, the starter circuit is as follows....... beginning at the ignition switch terminal 'I'
1) Orange wire runs to a fork terminal board.
2) Off this terminal a white wire runs to the push button starter switch.
3) Off the switch a black wire runs to the fork terminal board (a different terminal than item 2)
4) Off this terminal a black wire runs to the small connection on the solenoid. No relay is used.

Now, to use a starter relay the relay is inserted in the black wire in item 4. The relay gets it's power from the battery. This would be a red wire coming from the regulator or at least downstream of the overload circuit breaker.

I think you have everything wired correctly.
pg
Know Thy Hog

Old 7th February 2011
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah man View Post
... when you say "standard gauge for everything else" what gauges are you using specifically? it's important to have the proper wire gauges ...
+1 here. Confirm what gauges you used.
Old 7th February 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to all

You should add a 15 amp circuit breaker in both the light and run circuits as 30A is too high to protect the smaller wires.
The reason for using 2 15A breakers is so that the light circuit can't take down the run circuit.
Old 7th February 2011
Know It All

Mick & Doodah Man-

I'm going to be using 16 gauge automotive wiring - I was told that was the standard?
Thats going to be for everything EXCEPT the battery terminals and the wiring from the solenoid to the starter.

Piniongear -

Thanks for looking it over! I really appreciate it!

I updated the diagram with corrections you pointed out for the solenoid to starter, Pinion.

Old 7th February 2011
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Softail
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
BuckIRyder has disabled reputation

16 gauge is fine. I doubled up 2 16 gauge wires for battery cables and encased in shrink with appropriately sized ring terminals. No electric start to mess with.
Old 7th February 2011
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Picky time ... the cable from battery +ve to the solenoid would usually be black.
Know Thy Hog