The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
DK Customs
Hammer Performance
Biltwell
Don's Cyclewear

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th February 2011
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
joey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the rough
Default exhaust heat wrap question

im wanting to wrap my drag pipes with this stuff can some1 tell me how much i need to buy 25' 50' and do i need to buy the spray adhesive stuff and spray pipes before i wrap thanks
Old 11th February 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Gone...
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: The Beast (M109R)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
snowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud of

I use about 5x the actual length of what I'm wrapping.

I have never seen any adhesive, just silicone spray to keep the wrap pliable...

What kind of pipes are you covering???

***RIP***
--Mr. JIMI
--JOHNNY G
--BryanEOD
Old 11th February 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Something else to consider, if you wrap the pipes from the back to the front they tend to collect less dirt and debris. F.W.I.W.
I.B.A.#26543, Old age and treachery ALWAYS overcome youth and skill! ******** Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they grow old because they quit playing
Old 11th February 2011
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1966
avl8386 is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw a tip on biker build off to soak the wrap in water for a few hours and then put it on while feeding it out of the bucket. It keeps the graphite or whatever is in it from making you itch and makes it wrap tighter when it dries
Old 11th February 2011
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX
Sportster/Buell Year: '83
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: '85
Joesdaddy is on a distinguished roadJoesdaddy is on a distinguished road

My son just did some wrap on his with a 15' roll. It was just enough to do both pipes just past the bends. I think he used 8' on the back and the other 7' on the front. Just soak it a couple minutes in water, wrap and zip-tie ( the wider zips work best), let it dry overnight and spray it with the DEI silicon spray. It will smoke and stink a little when your fire it up.
Know Thy Hog

Old 11th February 2011
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH/I.R.C. Special
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Ivan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really nice
Default WEAR GLOVES! A buddy of mine rattle-canned...

...the pipes first to keep them from rusting through under the wrap.
Something to consider.
Old 11th February 2011
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
GA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
...It keeps the graphite or whatever is in it...
Fiberglass. In a previous life I built fiberglass boats. You learned all sorts of tricks to stay away from the stuff. Like IRC said, physical barriers are a good choice - gloves, long sleeves, etc. When we had to grind surfaces with a side-arm grinder, we would suit up like we were doing HAZMAT work... If you get it on you rinse it off; don't rub, as that will push it into the skin, not off. If it does get embedded in the skin, scrubbing the affected area with a a stiff brush does a pretty good job at dislodging the glass fibers. Itchy stuff...
Old 11th February 2011
Flat Track Racer

kowboi has a spectacular aura aboutkowboi has a spectacular aura aboutkowboi has a spectacular aura aboutkowboi has a spectacular aura aboutkowboi has a spectacular aura aboutkowboi has a spectacular aura aboutkowboi has a spectacular aura aboutkowboi has a spectacular aura aboutkowboi has a spectacular aura aboutkowboi has a spectacular aura aboutkowboi has a spectacular aura about

It should tell you on the package how to measure for the wrap. You have to allow quite a bit more for bends than you do for the straight sections.
Old 11th February 2011
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Maxxra is on a distinguished roadMaxxra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_Ironhead View Post
Fiberglass. In a previous life I built fiberglass boats. You learned all sorts of tricks to stay away from the stuff. Like IRC said, physical barriers are a good choice - gloves, long sleeves, etc. When we had to grind surfaces with a side-arm grinder, we would suit up like we were doing HAZMAT work... If you get it on you rinse it off; don't rub, as that will push it into the skin, not off. If it does get embedded in the skin, scrubbing the affected area with a a stiff brush does a pretty good job at dislodging the glass fibers. Itchy stuff...
+1. I wrapped my pipes last weekend barehanded. I am a dumb@ss.
Old 11th February 2011
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1992
Other Motorcycle Model: Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 1971
einheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really nice

If you soak them in water, it makes wrapping easier and tighter. i've done many of them and I go from back to front with a 1/4 to 3/8 lap. No gloves, no spray, and use stainless wire as ties-cheap at the hardware store. And the nice thing about getting it wet is after it dries, it shrinks and wraps really tight!