The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum GL Sporster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding with disability
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Riding with disability Discussions on how to ride with minor or major disabilities.

Members Birthdays
wallylach (63), cob (60), decman (58), djhannu (52), Vaughn, irishhog (45), dangjalopy (41), earthoverdrive (36), edman87k5 (35), 79iron (32), mr_anti_chrome
Don's Cyclewear
Speedway Instruments
Licks Holiday
Lickscycles

RYCA Motors

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th November 2007
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Dyna Superglide Custom
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: KTM LC4 600
Other Motorcycle Year: 1990
nemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the roughnemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the roughnemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the roughnemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the roughnemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the roughnemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the roughnemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the roughnemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the roughnemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the roughnemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the roughnemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation Living With Depression

Living with depression can be a bitch as those of us who have it can attest. What has worked for me, as far as reducing or sometimes eliminating my symptoms, was finally getting off my medications, trying to eat right, vitamins every day, and walking for exercise.
Getting off my prescribed medication was the hardest thing to do, I took two weeks vacation and slept most of it away. The medication only masks the symptoms of depression and only postpones dealing with yourself and your life in my experience, I have been off medication for about three years now and my life is much better now because of it. I cant say enough about riding everyday, going to work is something to look forward to, as I get to ride my wonderful Sportster everyday.
I would like to thank everyone on the XL Forum as this place has been a bright light of friendship, information, and humor that I look forward to visiting everyday.
I believe that having depression is a disability, I also believe that talking about it can help. Perhaps others here on the XL Forum would like to share there thoughts and experiences dealing with depression.

Thank You: Mike

Last edited by nemosengineer@yahoo.com; 5th November 2007 at 05:21.. Reason: Spelling
Old 5th November 2007
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1998 S= Superior Model
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
shotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond repute

I have medacation for it along with Bud light it seems to help at night ! Now I just wish I could sleep more than 4 hours at a time that would even be better !
Old 5th November 2007
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N-Traded :(
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Fat Bob
Other Motorcycle Year: 09
el jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really nice

I hear ya. I've been off meds for about five years. Sometimes I consider getting back on them when the seasons change, which is when I get low, but haven't yet. My eating habits still suck, but I try to hit the gym 5 days a week. I've read that working out can have the same affect as most meds, so maybe that's what's doing the trick.
I wish you continued luck with your routine. The Sporty does help, doesn't it?
Old 5th November 2007
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
dagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the rough

I can sympathize -- I recently lost my son who suffered from depression. It is a frustrating illness and only now is it being better recognized as just that. Many people confuse the effects of depression with the cause. They'll say -- "he was depressed because he wasn't doing well in school" or "she was depressed because of many failed relationships", when actually, it's the other way around -- "he wasn't doing well in school due to his depression" or "her many failed relationships were due to her chronic depression".

I'm not a big fan of meds, but there is some evidence to support a biochemical imbalance in the brain can lead to depression. That is the focus of many of the SSRI meds -- and I've been on them for a period of time myself. They don't make you numb or euphoric, but I found they do help even out your moods. Exercise is also a great stress reliever and anything that gets you releasing endorphins (riding, dancing, and the obvious) is a bonus, too.

Best of luck with your struggle.

67 XL Forum members -- people just like you (only now a little skinnier) -- have joined and
pledged to lose over 2,400 pounds. We've lost over 459 pounds so far!

2 people have already achieved their goals!

Check out our progress on the Weight Loss Stats Page (http://homepage.mac.com/dagruber/.Public/XLFWeights.htm). You can join at any time by sending me a PM.

Check out my Sportster photo gallery (http://gallery.mac.com/dagruber#100025&view=carouseljs&sel=0)!
Old 5th November 2007
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Shai`tan is on a distinguished roadShai`tan is on a distinguished road

"biochemical imbalance in the brain can lead to depression."

Actually, I believe it is the opposite. Imho Depression, caused by many things.... if the Depression is inwardly focussed on too much by certain individuals, this can actually cause the chemical imbalance.

I believe we literally make ourselves cause the chemical imbalance. We make ourselves sick. We focus inward. Cut ourselves off from say... excerxising..... is a good example. Endorphins. Good you bring this up.

What do endorphins do? Create a sense of wellbeing. Laughing creates endorphins. Sex.... anything you do that you like to do, will actually stimlulate chemical endorphin creation.

When you are depressed tho, you cut yourself off from doing the things you like, effectively starving yourself. You harbor neg. feelings. You don`t eat right. You cut yourself off from communicating with others. No laughter, no fun, no excitement. This is I think what leads to the chemical imbalances.

Another example. Fear. Certain things effect you, and all of a sudden you feel that adrenaline rush = what we think is the feel of fear. All of our emotions have some kind of chemical effect on our bodies. I think Depression is somehow tied into this..... that it is as well a kind of emotion.

Doctors only really see the Depressed cases after they plummet. .... hit rock bottom and the damage has been done. I think if more peeps knew what to look for ahead of time, understood themselves better and the neg effects their own thoughts could have on them chemically/physically, they would be able to quicker recognise their own habits and take steps to turn the tide so to speak.
Know Thy Hog

Old 5th November 2007
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 94 HP XL1200C sold :(
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Yamaha Raider
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha FZ1
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
Terp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to behold

If it were that simple, there would be no depression.

**RIP MR. JIMI & JOHNNY G**
Old 5th November 2007
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: (05)1200C-Sold
Sportster/Buell Model #2: (07)1200N-Lemon traded
Other Motorcycle Model: 2008 FLSTN/2007.5 TUONO
RoadChick is just really niceRoadChick is just really niceRoadChick is just really niceRoadChick is just really niceRoadChick is just really niceRoadChick is just really niceRoadChick is just really niceRoadChick is just really niceRoadChick is just really niceRoadChick is just really niceRoadChick is just really nice

What he ^^^^ said.

Depression runs in my family, on my mother's side and on my father's, and I have to disagree that the imbalance is self induced.

I have two brothers, one tried to end his life at 15 by shooting himself in the head, he lived. My other brother did end his life 6 months later, he was 16. He disappeared and we did not find his remains until 15 years later.

My mother has lived with bipolar her entire life and was just diagnosed 10 years ago. The meds have turned her life around.
Old 5th November 2007
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki SV650S
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
donniej has a spectacular aura aboutdonniej has a spectacular aura aboutdonniej has a spectacular aura aboutdonniej has a spectacular aura aboutdonniej has a spectacular aura aboutdonniej has a spectacular aura aboutdonniej has a spectacular aura aboutdonniej has a spectacular aura aboutdonniej has a spectacular aura aboutdonniej has a spectacular aura aboutdonniej has a spectacular aura about

My brother and me have fought with depression our entire lives. We had some tough times in our childhoods so I don't know if it's because of nature or growing up. I've tried medication, counseling and "self-medicating". None really helped.

I agree that a healthy diet, a little excersize and just trying to do things that make you happy make a big difference. Laying off the drugs and alcohol are important too.

If I could give someone with depression one piece of advice, it would be that help is out there. There are people that care.
Old 5th November 2007
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FXRS-SP
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1985
Other Motorcycle Model: FXSB
Other Motorcycle Year: 1984
cat5752 will become famous soon enoughcat5752 will become famous soon enoughcat5752 will become famous soon enoughcat5752 will become famous soon enoughcat5752 will become famous soon enoughcat5752 will become famous soon enough

I live with the whole bipolar issue, and I can tell you it is not self-induced, at least not in my case. I wouldn't wish this crap on anyone. Medication turned my life completely around. I went from the point of squeezing the trigger on a loaded .45 that was in my mouth to coping and learning a whole lot about what I had previously defined as a "hard time". My mother suffered from depression her whole life. I don't know as it's genetic, but is a chemical imbalance. You can't drink it away, you can't sleep it away, you can't screw it away. Healthy eating and exercise are about the best. That and understanding friends that will bs with you at 2 o'clock in the morning when it's eating you alive.
Old 5th November 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 XLC
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDWG
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
pquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant future

Advising people to get off antidepressants prescribed by their doctor is irresponsible and potentially lethal.