The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding with disability
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Riding with disability Discussions on how to ride with minor or major disabilities.

Members Birthdays
Bison Motorsports
Lowbrow Customs
Speedway Instruments
883 Sportster

Bison Motorsports

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th November 2007
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Dyna Superglide Custom
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: KTM LC4 600
Other Motorcycle Year: 1990
nemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the roughnemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the roughnemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the roughnemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the roughnemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the roughnemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the roughnemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the roughnemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the roughnemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the roughnemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the roughnemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pquirk View Post
The mechanism of action of antidepressants in not fully understood so the first part of the quoted statement is pure Tom Cruise. That's the irresponsible part; you're stating opinion as fact. Further, I would argue based on the biochemical literature you're flat-out wrong, but that's beside the point. In addition, the chance of somebody thinking you actually have the expertise in medical neuropharmacology to support the claim is real and they might be desparate enough to take your opinion as advise even if you didn;t intend for them to do so. That's the potentially lethal part. So, I think that is pretty damn constructive input.

Best,
PQ
Context is important, as this is a motorcycle forum, I really don't think anyones first choice for medical advice will be here. But I could be wrong, so for the safety of anyone who might read any of my posts, on any subject, I offer this disclaimer,
"CAUTION: Nemosengineer A.K.A, Mike does not have any formal education or training in any medical field or endeavor. Anything written by Nemosengineer A.K.A, Mike may not be true, valid, or useful in any situation, anywhere, anytime, and in fact may be harmful or fatal if assumed to be factual. Anything written by Nemosengineer A.K.A, Mike, is presented for entertainment value only."
My apology's are offered to anyone who misunderstood my intent in sharing my experiences.

Best Wishes: Mike
Old 6th November 2007
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
phmann will become famous soon enoughphmann will become famous soon enoughphmann will become famous soon enoughphmann will become famous soon enoughphmann will become famous soon enoughphmann will become famous soon enough

I'm sure those of you that have gone to a psychiatrist have heard that medication is simply a tool for you to use in managing emotions that seem unmanagable. I tend to wonder if leaving all medication wasn't the root cause of feeling better, but that you found a better coping mechanism (excersize, positive thinking, etc.) for you as an individual. I wouldn't go telling others that the meds kept you down. I work with mentally ill adolescents in a residential treatment facility and have learned a good deal about the numerous mediciatons they are on including those such as the saratonin reuptake inhibitors that are commonly used to treat depression. I can say without a doubt that not all humans "cause" their brains to work a certain way, therefore "causing" depression. This might be the way one individual works, but not most people with mental health issues. That's a pretty old-school thought.
Old 6th November 2007
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
phmann will become famous soon enoughphmann will become famous soon enoughphmann will become famous soon enoughphmann will become famous soon enoughphmann will become famous soon enoughphmann will become famous soon enough

There is still a lot of stigma surrounding mental illness. There is an out-dated medical view that there is always something you can do to overcome the emotion you feel, mostly regarding depression. I can't speak for those who suffer from depression, and I am not a phychologist, but I see it all day, five days a week. There's a local radio personality who always pisses me off when he says there's no such thing as depression, "get off your ass".
Old 6th November 2007
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
sportyblue has a reputation beyond reputesportyblue has a reputation beyond reputesportyblue has a reputation beyond reputesportyblue has a reputation beyond reputesportyblue has a reputation beyond reputesportyblue has a reputation beyond reputesportyblue has a reputation beyond reputesportyblue has a reputation beyond reputesportyblue has a reputation beyond reputesportyblue has a reputation beyond reputesportyblue has a reputation beyond repute

Mike,

I do not believe your life of depression and what you have shared here with us is for entertainment.

I'd just like to add my .02 here. Yes, I agree with what PQ said, however, I have seen individuals who were very over medicated and felt exactly like you were feeling ( I think ) and in fact were on big gun neuroleptics ( ie haldol ) in addition to antidepressants and where the haldol was being used for the wrong reasons. I do not know which medications you were on but perhaps if you were on the big gun drugs you did feel like they were masking the symptoms rather than treating them. When on the big gun neuroleptics your whole affect is different and perhaps that is what you came to understand. It seems that controlling your depression without medication is working for you. You have come along ways, I'm sure, since the beginning of when you were able to recognize that you suffered from depression.

Last edited by sportyblue; 6th November 2007 at 05:14..
Old 6th November 2007
Land Speed Record

nemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the roughnemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the roughnemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the roughnemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the roughnemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the roughnemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the roughnemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the roughnemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the roughnemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the roughnemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the roughnemosengineer@yahoo.com is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by phmann View Post
I'm sure those of you that have gone to a psychiatrist have heard that medication is simply a tool for you to use in managing emotions that seem unmanagable. I tend to wonder if leaving all medication wasn't the root cause of feeling better, but that you found a better coping mechanism (excersize, positive thinking, etc.) for you as an individual. I wouldn't go telling others that the meds kept you down. I work with mentally ill adolescents in a residential treatment facility and have learned a good deal about the numerous mediciatons they are on including those such as the saratonin reuptake inhibitors that are commonly used to treat depression. I can say without a doubt that not all humans "cause" their brains to work a certain way, therefore "causing" depression. This might be the way one individual works, but not most people with mental health issues. That's a pretty old-school thought.
Yes I did find a better coping mechanism for dealing with my depression, but how long does one stay on medication? There are side effects to antidepressants that are unpleasant. Are you taking antidepressants? A doctors advice and care in treating depression is important and not to be underestimated in value, I have been moderate to severely depressed all of my adult life and I still suffer from its effects. I am only stating my experiences, I have not said a word about others, I did not cause my depression, nor did I fix it, I live with it every day, so please don't say I am old-school in my thinking as I have only spoken of myself. So when does one go off medication ?

Know Thy Hog

Old 6th November 2007
Land Speed Record

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyblue View Post
Mike,

I do not believe your life of depression and what you have shared here with us is for entertainment.

I'd just like to add my .02 here. Yes, I agree with what PQ said, however, I have seen individuals who were very over medicated and felt exactly like you were feeling ( I think ) and in fact were on big gun neuroleptics ( ie haldol ) in addition to antidepressants and where the haldol was being used for the wrong reasons. I do not know which medications you were on but perhaps if you were on the big gun drugs you did feel like they were masking the symptoms rather than treating them. When on the big gun neuroleptics your whole affect is different and perhaps that is what you came to understand. It seems that controlling your depression without medication is working for you. You have come along ways, I'm sure, since the beginning of when you were able to recognize that you suffered from depression.
Thank you, you are very close to the mark. I still have a long way to go, now I can feel, laugh, and love, life is good.

Old 6th November 2007
Land Speed Record

Quote:
Originally Posted by phmann View Post
There is still a lot of stigma surrounding mental illness. There is an out-dated medical view that there is always something you can do to overcome the emotion you feel, mostly regarding depression. I can't speak for those who suffer from depression, and I am not a phychologist, but I see it all day, five days a week. There's a local radio personality who always pisses me off when he says there's no such thing as depression, "get off your ass".
Yes I have herd this also, I think there is a grain of truth to it, in that respect, I accept that I may be old-school. I had to decide that I was responsible for myself, the quality of my life, and fix what I didn't like about myself and accept what couldn't be changed. In the end all we can do is our best and accept the result. I think your a good guy, your doing good work with kids, it says a lot about you.

: Mike
Old 6th November 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
AKsavage is on a distinguished roadAKsavage is on a distinguished roadAKsavage is on a distinguished road

When I was 15 I was diagnosed with severe unipolar depression. A few months later my girlfriend commited suicide, we were both seeing the same doctor at the time and both on drug therapy. For the last 20 years I have been fighting the good fight, sometimes winning sometimes not. As I don't like the side effects of the drugs I have chosen not to guinea pig for the doctors and found my own mechinisms for dealing with this. Exercise and good diet do help as does a good long ride on my sporty. For those of you fighting the good fight, best wishes. Keep your chin up, the sun will always come up tomorrow, and nothing worth having ever comes easy.
Old 16th January 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Reading this thread it is uplifting for me, because I realize I am not the only person with these problems. I have suffered from depression, anxiety, and o.c.d. as long as i can remember. it can be very lonely to deal with by yourself. I have the best wife in the world, she has put up with some crazy crap from me over the years due to my probs. However, even as great as she is
she doesnt and cant understand nor do I expect her to. To truley understand you have to live it. You have to walk that mile in the shoes with the problem. that is the reason I believe so many "doctors" miss the mark on diagnosing and treating these problems. I have been to every doctor within a hundred miles of here, and tried allllll kinds of meds. To no avail. I struggle everyday with it. I to have had to quit jobs because I couldnt do the job and the depression, anxiety and o.c.d. at the same time. Thanks for this thread, and thanks to all you guys for having the courage to talk about it. It helps to talk. "normal people" sometimes dont understand when you try to talk about your illness. Talking to others with the problem is one of the keys. Keep this thread going..It helps to TALK.
Old 21st January 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemosengineer@yahoo.com View Post
Living with depression can be a bitch as those of us who have it can attest. What has worked for me, as far as reducing or sometimes eliminating my symptoms, was finally getting off my medications, trying to eat right, vitamins every day, and walking for exercise.
Getting off my prescribed medication was the hardest thing to do, I took two weeks vacation and slept most of it away. The medication only masks the symptoms of depression and only postpones dealing with yourself and your life in my experience, I have been off medication for about three years now and my life is much better now because of it. I cant say enough about riding everyday, going to work is something to look forward to, as I get to ride my wonderful Sportster everyday.
I would like to thank everyone on the XL Forum as this place has been a bright light of friendship, information, and humor that I look forward to visiting everyday.
I believe that having depression is a disability, I also believe that talking about it can help. Perhaps others here on the XL Forum would like to share there thoughts and experiences dealing with depression.

Thank You: Mike
Just stumbled across Mike's Thread. Depression is an acquaintance of mine. I've suffered with it for many years. I, like many others have had lots of Dr's, counselers, medicines and diagnosis. While I am not Bi-Polar, I do have PTSD thanks to SE Asia, Central and South America, West Africa and what ever else Uncle Sam can thow into my mix. Depression to me was and is a DEEP DARK HOLE that was d**n near impossible for me to dig myself out of. Mine went undiagnosed for some time and was almost fatal. Right now(several years now) I feel great. Exercise, good diet and riding my bike as much as I can, as well as extended trips has been therapeutic for me. May not work for anyone else but it works for me.
Know Thy Hog