The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
seajay, Hugh Betcha (68), jimhd89 (65), JayFL459 (65), Big Al (58), dakota_dj (57), 10walt (55), kiltbill (55), timsvalk (54), horsewriter (49), Benetampa (37)
S&S Cycle
Motor Stage
Energy One Clutches
RYCA Motors

RYCA Motors
Tags
1000, 1974 xlch, ironhead, sportster, xlch

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th February 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Chris2Corps is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1974 xlch 1000 HeLp!! (Hot pipes + Timing nightmare!)

Gearheads I have a problem.

This is my first official post as well as my first official harley.
The bike is a 1974 xlch sportster 1000. I just moved back home after serving an enlistment in the Marine Corps. My dad bought a newer harley and is now allowing me to ride the sportster that he put the first mile on in '74. We just restored the bike and now we are having some trouble with it.

-Hard to start( more than 10 kicks)
-Glowing red exhaust pipes.
-it sounds like its missing.

~New points and condensor with point gap set to .18
~Cleaned and rebuild the bindex carb.
~New fuel filter.
~New coil and wire from coil to points.
~had generator tested and cleaned.
~set polarity
~ checked for vacuum leaks with WD40 while running

I set the timing mark and then adjusted the plate using a test light on the points to go off just as points cam is advanced all the way.
With the engine running I really can't make out the timing marks using the glass plug. My dad adjusted timing plate while I watched for the timing mark with the strobe light. The engine is stock everything.

1) What is the best way to tell if the cam is eccentric? (@ 40* to TDC on the #1 cyl the small cam lobe is just before the points guide.)
2) Can something be replaced that i am overlooking(the flyweights look good)?
3) Is there a better way to check for vacuum leaks besides WD40?

I appreciate any shared knowledge. This will be the first ride I take to Bike Week with my father. On four combat deployments I had alot of time to dream of this ride. We have a few short days to get this right. Any suggestions?

P.S My dad said he had a shop do the valve adjustments but he didnt seem too impressed with them as a whole, and no difference was noted starting wise.... Sometimes the bike will kick and kick like there is no ignition at all even though the plugs and points spark.

Simper Fi
Chris
Old 24th February 2011
Whitworth Products

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

1) What is the best way to tell if the cam is eccentric? (@ 40* to TDC on the #1 cyl the small cam lobe is just before the points guide.)

You will know that it's eccentric if it starts exhibiting signs of strange behavior such as ordering sushi at a burger joint.

Seriously, if full advance is supposed to be 40 degrees, then it will probably be at about 12 degrees or so at idle before the weights spin out. (This is just general because I do not have the manual for 1974).

That said, then if you static time it using a test light, the points should open (light come on) at around 12 degrees BTDC. So find TDC on the flywheel, and using a degree wheel (a protractor works good), back it up to 12 degrees and make a mark for reference. Then static time it to where the light just comes on as you rotate the flywheel up to the 12 degree mark. Forget the 40 degrees for now, that can be checked with a timing light once you are able to see the marks and have it running somewhere close. If the flywheel is about 6" diameter, then 12 degrees is about 5/8" at the outer edge.

I assume the points have been set properly, and verified that the gap is still good right? Also check the gap after timing and see if it shifted, if it did, reset the gap and retime it until it stays the same.

Did you get that 40 degree figure out of a book? Do they say what the innitial (idle) timing is?

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/m...outme&simple=1

Old 24th February 2011
Biker

I centered the front cylinder advanced timing mark in the hole. (according to the book its 40*BTC) Then wth the cam twisted over i adjusted the back plate to where the light just went off then tightened the screws. I rechecked the points gap @ 0.18.
Old 24th February 2011
Whitworth Products

wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2Corps View Post
I centered the front cylinder advanced timing mark in the hole. (according to the book its 40*BTC) Then wth the cam twisted over i adjusted the back plate to where the light just went off then tightened the screws. I rechecked the points gap @ 0.18.
Is that working?
Old 24th February 2011
Biker

That is what i did before and it didnt work very well. I am going to try your recomendation with the 12* mark and see if that may help
Know Thy Hog

Old 24th February 2011
Whitworth Products

Quote:
That is what i did before and it didnt work very well. I am going to try your recomendation with the 12* mark and see if that may help
Yep, start there. It would be nice to have a book to confirm the innitial timing at 12 degrees, but that will be closer than what you have. If there is no TDC mark, work backwards from the 40 degree mark (10 degrees is just over 1/2" at a 6" diameter) (12 degrees is 5/8" almost exactly).

With the crank turning in the normal direction the light should just come ON at 12 degrees that is the point that the points break apart, and that is the signal that causes the coil to discharge across the spark plug gap. The point that the light goes out is not useful for anything except for measuring dwell.

I have to leave now, so good luck.

Try going to the Carb and EFI section and reading "Plug Reading 101" in the sticky section there. Particularly for the way to determine if the timing is too far advanced (black specs on the white porcelain), then to verify that the carb is jetted and adjusted right. Since you plan a long ride, lets not melt that engine down on the way. If the metal on those plugs comes out looking white, don't take it for a ride until you fix it.
Old 24th February 2011
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant future

Quote:
... The bike is a 1974 xlch sportster 1000. ... We just restored the bike and now we are having some trouble with it.

-Hard to start( more than 10 kicks)
-Glowing red exhaust pipes.
-it sounds like its missing ...
Post this q in the IronHead section, here ...

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7
Old 24th February 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Z-1 (2 ea.)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1973
bh206b3 is a glorious beacon of lightbh206b3 is a glorious beacon of lightbh206b3 is a glorious beacon of lightbh206b3 is a glorious beacon of lightbh206b3 is a glorious beacon of lightbh206b3 is a glorious beacon of lightbh206b3 is a glorious beacon of lightbh206b3 is a glorious beacon of lightbh206b3 is a glorious beacon of lightbh206b3 is a glorious beacon of lightbh206b3 is a glorious beacon of light

The only thing that can make the exhaust pipes glow red-hot is a very lean mixture. Something got messed up in that carb . This would also cause the hard-to-start problem and the miss. I know you say you "rebuilt" the Bendix. I'd find a later model Jap carb to bolt on there.

Good luck and welcome to the board! Love the Ironheads!
Old 24th March 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: 2003 flht standard
ironhead75 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with the last guy. Timing can be tricky and can easily be overthought. sometimes just keep it simple. If you have another carb or can borrow one try that first. I owned my 75 for 16 years and only set the timing with a light once and its a pain in the ass. I am not a motorcycle guru by any stretch of the imagination but I am a technician. every engine is different, wears different, machining tolerences excessive wear, no wear etc...timing it by the book might not be what your engine works best with. Try just moving the plate from one end to the other while trying to start it. If it doesnt start anywhere though the timing spectrum then it might not be timing at all. Make sure the gap is correct!. I dialed mine in by ear and it always ran perfectly. We used to time cars the same way. get it running and hot. twist the throttle if it pings back off the timing until its stops pinging. I know it sounds hack and I will probably catch hell for saying it but it works. keep checking the plugs. I hope this made some sense.
Old 24th March 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead XLT Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBX 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
ericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to all

Glowing exhausts can also be caused by retarded timing, also by a tight exhaust pushrod holding the valve open: the spark is igniting the mixture while the exhaust valve is opened, letting the burning gas escape into the pipes.

Your procedure for static timing is correct, assuming the flywheels are stock. Aftermarket flywheels may have different timing marks causing problems.

I'd check pushrod adjustments first just to eliminate that variable, then double-check the static timing using your original method of advancing the cam. I normally set my exhaust pushrods a tad looser than the intakes since they run hotter and the little extra clearance helps keep them cooler.

Problem sounds more ignition/valve adjustment related than carb, at least running around idle speed. Won't hurt to check out carb operation if the other issues don't give good results.

Eric
1978 Anniversary Edition XLH. Wiseco 10:1 forged pistons, Andrews R5 cams, dual plugged heads with Super Port Flow, single fire ignition, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, Jagg oil cooler, '73 gauges, kickstart, Barnett kevlar clutch, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks, all-Andrews tranny. 1977 XLT, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, tapered dual exhausts, Andrews Y cams, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks.
Know Thy Hog