The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Top End issues. Rockerboxes, Valves, Cylinders, Pistons, Rings, Lift Rods, etc...

Members Birthdays
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th March 2011
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L/1200 (Sold)
Sportster/Buell Year: 08
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDWG (wide glide)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2015
Baphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help removing a broken plug.

Well, I was doing some service to the bike and part of that service was removing the plugs so I could turn the engine minus the compression. So I remove the rear plug with no problem. When I am removing the front plug I start to feel resistance after a few turns. I stopped and thought to myself, "I bet this bitch is going to seize". So I turned it back in about half a turn and sprayed WD40 along the exposed threads. I guess I didn't let it soak long enough because when I started to apply pressure again removing it then it broke off. I DO use an anti-seize, but apparently the front plug either didn't get enough or got overlooked. I've never removed a broken plug before, but I am thinking since a lot of it is already out of the head that perhaps someone can come up with an idea that might prevent me from pulling the head off. Here's a couple of pics of what I have to work with.

Old 11th March 2011
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB350 Cafe Style
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
khaskins has a brilliant futurekhaskins has a brilliant futurekhaskins has a brilliant futurekhaskins has a brilliant futurekhaskins has a brilliant futurekhaskins has a brilliant futurekhaskins has a brilliant futurekhaskins has a brilliant futurekhaskins has a brilliant futurekhaskins has a brilliant futurekhaskins has a brilliant future

I'd grab it with vise grips and back it out. Happened to me years ago and had enough plug to get a grip.

2006 883L
AN Big Sucker Stage 1
Rejetted Carb: Slow 45, Main 175
Vance & Hines Side Shots
Flat Track bars, 4" Joker Machine Risers
Joker Machine Speedo Mount
Speedway Instrument MicroTach
Mid Controls
Lepera Daytona Sport or Lepera Bare Bones Solo
Black Progressive 412 12.5" shocks
Progressive Fork Springs
Knock-off SE Fork Brace
Chopped Rear Fender
Custom Taillight

Ol' Greasy Karl of the Spirit Stalkers MC
Outlaw Name Generator

XLForum Business Card Template

BEFORE YOU CLIMB ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE, CHECK THAT THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE HANDLEBAR TO THE SEAT IS NEITHER TOO TIGHT NOR TOO LOOSE.
Old 11th March 2011
I am the great Cornholio!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GT550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute

Was about to suggest vise grips but khaskins beat me to it.

Good luck!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Click here for the Sportsterpedia! for technical information & advice
Old 11th March 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1968
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1991
Other Motorcycle Model: Chopped Shovel
Other Motorcycle Year: 1978
sunchild2071 has a brilliant futuresunchild2071 has a brilliant futuresunchild2071 has a brilliant futuresunchild2071 has a brilliant futuresunchild2071 has a brilliant futuresunchild2071 has a brilliant futuresunchild2071 has a brilliant futuresunchild2071 has a brilliant futuresunchild2071 has a brilliant futuresunchild2071 has a brilliant futuresunchild2071 has a brilliant future

I can't see enough room for vice grips, but if they fit. Otherwise, if the machined recess is wide enough to allow one of those sockets that has the cammed action for stripped bolt heads, that may work for you. The needle type would not work.

In the realm of ideas that may not be so great, you could try and thread a nut onto the stub, protect the area and tack them together, then try twist it out.

In the world of things that suck balls, this is up there. Best of luck.
Old 11th March 2011
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Martinrobert will become famous soon enoughMartinrobert will become famous soon enoughMartinrobert will become famous soon enoughMartinrobert will become famous soon enoughMartinrobert will become famous soon enoughMartinrobert will become famous soon enough

needle nose vise grips should do it - how did that get so bound up?
Old 11th March 2011
Be annoyed Now;Ask Me How

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200XL Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: FLSTC Heritage Softail
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
flskevin has a brilliant futureflskevin has a brilliant futureflskevin has a brilliant futureflskevin has a brilliant futureflskevin has a brilliant futureflskevin has a brilliant futureflskevin has a brilliant futureflskevin has a brilliant futureflskevin has a brilliant futureflskevin has a brilliant futureflskevin has a brilliant future

I found this on the web...

1. Spray around the threaded area with a light penetrating oil like Liquid Wrench or Kano Kroil. Allow it to soak in for 20 minutes or more before trying loosen the broken plug. If this is the first spark plug that you attempted to remove, it's not a bad idea to soak the others. Usually if one is in poor shape, the others are probably not much better. Once you have decided that it has soaked enough, continue to the next step.
  2. Get an EZOut the size that will fit the hole where the ceramic used to be. You will need a very large EZOut Extractor. An EZOut (or Easy-out) is similar to a drill, except that it turns in reverse. As you turn the EZOut counter clockwise, its teeth grip the interior more tightly and turns it.
  3. Insert the EZOut extractor into the shaft where the ceramic part used to be. Make certain that the EZOut is the appropriate size. If it's too small, the teeth will not grip the sides.
  4. Turn it very slowly and carefully to unscrew and remove the old spark plug.

Pastafarian Minister - Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
Dudeist Priest - Church of the Latter Day Dude
Old 11th March 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Fairlane 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 1964
SuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to all

Vice grips are a good idea, followed by some anti-seize on the new plugs! Lesson learned.
- Oversized pic of my ride & lengthy list of upgrades
Old 11th March 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1968
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1991
Other Motorcycle Model: Chopped Shovel
Other Motorcycle Year: 1978
sunchild2071 has a brilliant futuresunchild2071 has a brilliant futuresunchild2071 has a brilliant futuresunchild2071 has a brilliant futuresunchild2071 has a brilliant futuresunchild2071 has a brilliant futuresunchild2071 has a brilliant futuresunchild2071 has a brilliant futuresunchild2071 has a brilliant futuresunchild2071 has a brilliant futuresunchild2071 has a brilliant future

I was thinking those lines too, but when smashing out the ceramic to get the EZout in (it looks like the ceramic is currently flush with the break), keep some serious vacuum on the area so you don't drop ceramic bits down into the cylinder. If that happens, you may have some difficulty getting them out.
Old 11th March 2011
serial Canuckian

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
AB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond repute

two slim nuts and a pair of needle nose visegrips....and lots of penetrating fluid.
Old 11th March 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 11 RK
Other Motorcycle Model: 72 Triumph Daytona
ChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to take that to a shop. It is possible a piece of the plug thread broke off and is jammed in there. If you force it, it may tear into the threads in the head on the way.

Good luck,

Jim