The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
nate74, daPainta (63), BobboJama (61), whoopeekat (60), steelbreeze (58), Rio (53), paragon (50), miztacrabbypants (45), Truck (40)
Dead Creek Cycles
Get Lowered
NHRS Performance
Licks Cycles

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th March 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
The Art Installer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rear Brake pads (How to change)

Can anyone tell me how to change the rear brake pads on my 2007 XLH 883. Also do you think I should use HD pads or aftermarket pads. I'm living in London, England so if anyone can recomend a stockist for aftermarket parts here in the UK I would be grateful.

Many thanks
Old 17th March 2011
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: all sold
johntog is a glorious beacon of lightjohntog is a glorious beacon of lightjohntog is a glorious beacon of lightjohntog is a glorious beacon of lightjohntog is a glorious beacon of lightjohntog is a glorious beacon of lightjohntog is a glorious beacon of lightjohntog is a glorious beacon of lightjohntog is a glorious beacon of lightjohntog is a glorious beacon of lightjohntog is a glorious beacon of light

Hello mate,
I see this is your first post so hello and welcome, I'm in Kent in the UK.
You should go to the 'introduce yourself' section first and do just that. I'd strongly recommend you get some sort of manual for your bike, the Clymer is better than the Haynes IMO and the factory one is also a good idea. A parts book for your model is also recommended. You can download the factory manual and parts book which is cheaper than buying the real book and the Clymer can be got on e-bay easily. The Harley pads aren't bad but people seem to like the EBC pads, here's one place you can get them online;
http://www.brakes4u.co.uk/supersearc...id=53461&won=1
If you can't wait for the manual drop me a pm and I'll send you the info you need that I've scanned in case you can't wait. If it's not been done recently, as your bike is an 07 I believe, I would also change the brake fluid. A vacuum bleeder is great for this and makes the job a piece of piddle.
All the best
John
Old 17th March 2011
I am the great Cornholio!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GT550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute

Changing the pads is pretty simple but there are a few twists. I believe the Harley pads come with the same instructions that are in the service manual but don't hold me to that.

When changing the pads leave the caliper attached to the bike. When removing the bolt that hold the pads in place you want to pull them out slowly so only the inside pad falls out. Replace it and then insert a drill bit (1/8" I believe) into the hole being vacated by the bolt from behind to hold the inside pad in place while the outside pad is allowed to fall free.

If you let both pads fall out there is a clip at the top of the caliper which will also fall out. If it does it is really tough to get back in. When reading the instructions is says there will be difficulty in installing the new pads if you let both pads come out at the same time, that is why.

This is probably as confusing as heck, but once you have the instructions in front of you this should make sense. If not, put another post on the forum and someone will help.

And welcome to the forum from Philly PA from across the pond.

Key West FL 2008
Sturgis 2009
Around the Lakes 2010
Texas 2011
New England 2011
Wreaths Across America 2011
Labor Day 2012
My first rally - Void 7
Pensacola 2012
Forum trip to Boyer WV July 2013
Coast to Coast to Coast in 100 hours
Butt Lite 7 - 5700 miles in 6 days

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne - "The Shootist"
Old 17th March 2011
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: all sold
johntog is a glorious beacon of lightjohntog is a glorious beacon of lightjohntog is a glorious beacon of lightjohntog is a glorious beacon of lightjohntog is a glorious beacon of lightjohntog is a glorious beacon of lightjohntog is a glorious beacon of lightjohntog is a glorious beacon of lightjohntog is a glorious beacon of lightjohntog is a glorious beacon of lightjohntog is a glorious beacon of light

PM sent Geoff.
John