The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bike Bandit  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
S&S Cycle
RYCA Motors
Progressive Suspension
Licks Holiday

Licks Holiday

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th March 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

cajun1957a is on a distinguished roadcajun1957a is on a distinguished roadcajun1957a is on a distinguished roadcajun1957a is on a distinguished road
Default Wet vs Dry clutch

Just interested in everyones opinion on clutches wet or dry. I have a wet clutch set up on 65-900, and have never had issues although originally it was dry clutch with the derby cover. I dont know of any differences in feel or performance. Anyone want to chime in on this?

randy
Old 19th March 2011
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
Other Motorcycle Model: 650 Triumph Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
xHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nice

I think the dry clutches lock up better, however if your running a primary chain it has its own issues then. I would think it best to run a belt with a dry clutch.

chain with a wet clutch. (my preference any how)

I'm finding out my kevlar clutch hasn't like any lube I've tried. it works best dry.
883 / 1200 conversion, shrink ported high velocity heads, milled .020 off the compression side. stainless steel tulip conversion valves. 10:1 wiseco forged pistons. "W" cams, Crane HI-4E ignition module, forcewinder AC. mustang seat, Progressive springs, RK-shocks, fork brace. metzeler me880 tires, headlight modulator. PIAA intense white H4 bulb
Old 19th March 2011
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: FXRS-SP
Sportster/Buell Year: 86
Other Motorcycle Model: wla flathead45
Other Motorcycle Year: 1945
flathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant future

chain needs oil, clutch don't care.....

run it wet.

thats my .02.
thank god for darwin
Old 19th March 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLR Tribute
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1962
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1968
16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light

Well, without getting too wordy, I think the dry clutch performs the best, but the issue is keeping it dry.

Now with the new wet/dry plates slipping is less of an issue, but I have recently found certain wet/dry plates stick together and are really hard to break apart when sitting and the oil gets gummy on them.

Going to try ATF this season out of desperation, but that is another topic.
Old 19th March 2011
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: FXRS-SP
Sportster/Buell Year: 86
Other Motorcycle Model: wla flathead45
Other Motorcycle Year: 1945
flathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ouncePBR View Post
Well, without getting too wordy, I think the dry clutch performs the best, but the issue is keeping it dry.

Now with the new wet/dry plates slipping is less of an issue, but I have recently found certain wet/dry plates stick together and are really hard to break apart when sitting and the oil gets gummy on them.

Going to try ATF this season out of desperation, but that is another topic.
i fear of cross contamination due to a failing transfer valve. i have had no trouble with my plates and striaght 50w oil in the trannie. if it sits too long (like a month or more) it slips slightly in 3rd, til i sling the oil off the plates with a good 55mhp+ blast then its all good again.

the main reason sporties slip is improper adjustment. not the type of oils used. follow the FM to the letter, take no shortcuts and it will treat you right for years to come
Know Thy Hog

Old 19th March 2011
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom Sputhe XR
Sportster/Buell Year: 19**
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1965
chevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to all

There is good info in this thread:
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=966372

There are opinions, and there is experiences, its up to the owner to decipher the two.
Old 20th March 2011
Drag Race Champion

11B40 has a spectacular aura about11B40 has a spectacular aura about11B40 has a spectacular aura about11B40 has a spectacular aura about11B40 has a spectacular aura about11B40 has a spectacular aura about11B40 has a spectacular aura about11B40 has a spectacular aura about11B40 has a spectacular aura about11B40 has a spectacular aura about11B40 has a spectacular aura about
Default This is always a good subject

The dry clutch performs right out of the garage. No sticking plates that rattle the hell out of the transmission on that first shift, no slipping. I personally think that the dry clutch along with the trapdoor was one of the Sportster's design triumphs. The wet plates work, but not as well, they were a less expensive way to make a clutch, if you have any real serious power, they can and do slip and wear out way quicker than dry plates. If you get on the dry clutch with the silver paint or sealant on those loose rivets, seal the cover with silicone instead of that paper gasket, it stays dry a long time and the plates can just be hit with a torch, dried out, sanded a bit and they are good to go.

Run the same engine oil in the primary is another bonus, and changing to a belt??? That's a reasonable solution to a non existent problem.