The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes Discuss issues with Sportster motorcycle tires, wheels and brakes.

Members Birthdays
Figure Machine
Motor Stage
Biltwell
Motor Stage

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd March 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Speed 4
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
kimo has a spectacular aura aboutkimo has a spectacular aura aboutkimo has a spectacular aura aboutkimo has a spectacular aura aboutkimo has a spectacular aura aboutkimo has a spectacular aura aboutkimo has a spectacular aura aboutkimo has a spectacular aura aboutkimo has a spectacular aura about
Default help, freakin' wheel....

Here's the background:
06 xl1200c. Want to go to a 19" front wheel. Found a nice spoke "take-off" alegedly from an 09 sporty on ebay with floating rotor already on it. looks great. purchased night dragons for front and rear. went to install it........

Problem:
hub is too wide to fit between the forks by an inch or so, without spacers, et.at.

Went online to HD Parts. found a wheel I liked. researched fitment from HD ordered:
Slotted Six-Spoke Wheel - Textured Black
"A dramatic look that breaks the mold in motorcycle wheel styling. Available in black or chrome, this stylish custom wheel incorporates the strength of twelve spokes into the illusion of a lightweight six spoke design. Textured fingerlike slots radiate from the center to the uniquely rounded smooth finishes on the inner and outer rim. The combination of polished and textured finishes on the spokes, rim and hub fool the eye and add to the sleek appearance, while the premium quality cast aluminum construction reduces weight without compromising strength. Matching brake rotors and sprockets are available for a complete custom look. All Genuine Motor Accessory wheels have been certified by Harley-Davidson« to perform to our tough vehicle standards for handling, quality and durability. Requires separate purchase of model-specific Wheel Installation Kit.

This product is available in multiple variations. Be sure to look for the one that fits the specific model and year of your motorcycle.

44057-07

19" Front
Fits '00-later XL (except '11 XL1200C, XL1200X and '11 XL883L) and '00-'05 Dyna« models (except FXDWG).

MSRP US $399.95"

got one. A thing of beauty. start to install bearings and notice, "hey, dis ting look toooo wide." Sure enough. the thing is 140mm wide at the hub. my forks is just about 123mm Crap. Call The dealer. "Check to see if they sent you the right one." Guess what. There ain't no stinking numbers on the wheel, box or paperwork.

Dealer has been helpful and over the phone is scratching their heads. I had to do to work and will find out more later today.

Is there something I am missing? I used the online HD part/accessory catalog. Dealer used their cat. and every thing should be joto.

Advice or Ideas?

TIA
jimmie
Old 23rd March 2011
Biker

kimo has a spectacular aura aboutkimo has a spectacular aura aboutkimo has a spectacular aura aboutkimo has a spectacular aura aboutkimo has a spectacular aura aboutkimo has a spectacular aura aboutkimo has a spectacular aura aboutkimo has a spectacular aura aboutkimo has a spectacular aura about

well, got a call from the dealer I bought the wheel from...He had called HD tech assistance. It seems that the wheel (part number 44057-07) should have a measurement of 120.9mm at the hub, HD sent the wrong wheel. Wisconsin Harley-Davidson has ordered another for me and is sending a return shipping label! Judy Juneau works with esales. Jack works in parts and service. Great response from them. I have had numerous phone calls and emails FROM them. Kudos to these good folks. I'll most likely be doing business with them in the future!
Old 23rd March 2011
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
AsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond repute

Be sure to share some pics of the new wheels when you get them on.
Old 23rd March 2011
Biker

i'm a convicted technophobe, will talk son into all the hard work!
jimmie