The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
spatial.hd, cress (56), tomheck2112 (47), Marks98Sporty (47), hdsportster71 (43), jmhurt (36), Tros (30)
Foxcreek Leather
Lowbrow Customs
S&S Cycle
Motor Stage

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th March 2011
Biker

handeroo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default complete engine bolt list

I've searched endlessly it seems and cant find a complete list of bolts (length, diameter, pitch) for 77-81 1000cc sportster. I want to replace ALL (left & right covers, rocker boxes, etc) external case bolts. Going to run to local nut & bolt shop with list for stainless. Seems price on ebay for (chrome) stuff is a bit high. Thanks tons in advance. Love this site.
Old 30th March 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: shovester project
Sportster/Buell Year: 80s
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki kz440
Other Motorcycle Year: 1983
billeuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nice

for a complete set you may be better of getting a colony kit. I don't know what's available in your town but I can't find many bolts here in stainless - mostly just hex head coarse thread is all I find. for the primary and cam covers you need socked head (allen) bolts. You can certainly order them from places like mcmaster Carr if you can't find them in town. If it's just your external covers that you want them for, pull them one at a time, measure and record each one for your list.

The rocker cover bolts are listed in the parts book:
3468 Bolt, 5/16-24 x 2-1/4 hex. hd (8)
3467 Bolt, 5/16-24 x 1-1/4 hex. hd (2)
These you can get at the hardware store
but:
3417 Stud (4)
You won't find the right one witrh the built in hex head part way up.

Oh, look at that, even the primary cover and cam cover bolts are listed with size, length and pitch.

You do have a parts book do you? I'll send you a PM
Old 30th March 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1957
Other Motorcycle Model: XL 61 62 64 65 68 70 78
Moon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to all

Yeah, go with the Colony kit. I can't remember the name, but there is also a competitor that markets their bolts in the green blister packs. The trouble with hardware bolts are several. In some cases, the correct length is critical, and a bolt a sixteenth longer or shorter can cause problems. In addition, there are some parts with proprietary threads that aren't available. Of the top of my head, I think a colony complete bolt kit goes for about $120, and worth the money.

When everything is as it was in my childhood

Violent, vivid, and of infinite possiblilty:

That the sun and moon broke over my head.--Richard Eberhart
Old 30th March 2011
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH/I.R.C. Special
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Ivan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really nice
Default Why not throw the business ($$$) to...

...your local marine supply house, instead?
This way your bucks stay in the local economy.
They always have the VERY BEST stainless fasteners, in both coarse & fine, with almost any type of head you can imagine.

As far as a complete list --- pull the fasteners you want to replace, measure & purchase.
Every Harbor Freight store in America sells those cheap (plastic) fastener-sizing boards with the holes cut into it.
Pick up a tap & die set while you're there so you can clean up your bolt holes and resurrect the used fasteners for use elsewhere.

Put in your damn own work.
Old 30th March 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: shovester project
Sportster/Buell Year: 80s
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki kz440
Other Motorcycle Year: 1983
billeuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nice

Oh yeh, Marine supply. I forgot already and it's only 2-1/2 years ago that I moved from the coast. I used to go to the marine chandler for all my fasteners, wire, switches, polish, glues, etc. But in the interior we just don't have such stores it seems. Well we must because there are lakes with boats on them, but it's not the same as living where 1/2 the economy is dependant on the sea.
Know Thy Hog

Old 30th March 2011
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: '78
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: 93" Shovel/Pan
Other Motorcycle Year: 1967
rivethog has disabled reputation

Quote:
there is also a competitor that markets their bolts in the green blister packs.
Gardner-Westcott. High quality stuff.
http://www.gardner-westcott.com/motorcycle_kits.htm

In addition to a marine supply, you can take a detailed list to a local nut & bolt supply house and they can fill just about ANY order you give them, in any grade, head type (hex, socket, torx, etc.) or material you ask for. I got a complete set (I mean every single visible nut, bolt, and washer) of metric sockethead 316 stainless bolts for a Sprint. Cost me around $150.
ACE Hardware gr. 8 bolts Krylon & Rustoleum "premium" paint JT-6 waterproof grease, Emgo oil filter Loctite blue red & green AutoZone headlight bulb socket genuine Aftermarket rear fender generic countershaft sprocket Radio Shack 16ga & 14ga wire forks off of a 180mph drag bike Swallow 4.60H18 rear tire 3.50 x 19 Shanghai front
Old 30th March 2011
Biker

handeroo is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for all the input. I NOW have a parts book, and a couple good leads for what I need. Once again, I love this site...thanks.
Old 30th March 2011
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 93 Cubic Inch XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1968
Other Motorcycle Model: Ultra Limited
Other Motorcycle Year: 2014
fdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of light

Try these places for nuts, bolts and whatever. Personally I use ARP stainless 12pt bolts and nuts, they're the best you can get. These places let you buy single bolts so you get just what you need with no extras that you paid for and don't need.

http://www.allensfasteners.com/
http://www.hillcofasteners.com/

93 Cubic Inches..3.635 Bore x 4.50 Stroke...Baisley Roller Rockers...Dual Plug Heads Ported With XLR Valves...Chrome Moly Pushrods...Andrews AX Grind Cams .550 Lift...Venolia Pistons...Total Seal Gapless Rings...Balanced S&S Rods & Flywheels...Blitz Steel Barrels...Billet Oil Pump...K&N O2 Sensors...S&S Super E Carb...Crane Fireball Multi Spark Ignition...All Andrews Trans Gears & Shafts...Strociek Billet Trap Door...Barnett Kevlar Wet/Dry Clutch...Motorsport Rear Motor Mount...High Torque Starter...100 Plus HP
Old 30th March 2011
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH/I.R.C. Special
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Ivan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really nice
Default Aircraft salvage yards are another goldmine...

...I have a buddy, JD, who regularly hits one in North Miami for fasteners, clamps, braided engine hose & chunks of aluminum raw material for fabbing brackets and mounts.

These places go over every plane that comes in, like an army of ants, and strips them clean.
They have bins & bins full of stainless fasteners.

Besides being cheaper than plunking down over $100 on a fastener set, there's the added treasure-hunt bonus --- you never know what kind of goodies you'll find.

Last edited by Folkie; 8th November 2012 at 00:12..
Old 30th March 2011
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1973 Ironhead
Other Motorcycle Model: 00' Kawasaki ZX-7R
Other Motorcycle Year: 76
MegaDON has a spectacular aura aboutMegaDON has a spectacular aura aboutMegaDON has a spectacular aura aboutMegaDON has a spectacular aura aboutMegaDON has a spectacular aura aboutMegaDON has a spectacular aura aboutMegaDON has a spectacular aura aboutMegaDON has a spectacular aura about

Colony Set is pretty expensive, hardware stores/Marine supply are going to cut your costs. The hard ware store is something like 1.88/Pound of bolts.
Know Thy Hog