The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
jojo, 5lv (66), BobbyB (60), BigBrotherWatching (52), black1200r (45), Jnomad72 (42), michigan113 (39), xl1200c (33)
Superbrace
Energy One Clutches
Motor Stage
DK Customs

Energy One Clutches
Tags
fork tubes, intiminators, nightster, ricor

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd April 2011
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
seraphan6 is a jewel in the roughseraphan6 is a jewel in the roughseraphan6 is a jewel in the roughseraphan6 is a jewel in the roughseraphan6 is a jewel in the roughseraphan6 is a jewel in the roughseraphan6 is a jewel in the roughseraphan6 is a jewel in the roughseraphan6 is a jewel in the roughseraphan6 is a jewel in the roughseraphan6 is a jewel in the rough
Lightbulb Ricor mods on Nightster

OK, so I've ordered my Intiminators and I'm in line for a pair of the Ricor shocks as well. I've contacted Works to set up my order for their springs. Has anyone looked at their new DROP-IN FORK CARTRIDGES WITH DUAL-RATE FORK SPRINGS (image)? They're a good deal more expensive ($369) than the existing Dual-Rate springs kit . I'm not sure I can understand the differences or potential advantages of this cartridge kit. I've asked Works that question and am waiting to hear from them.

I'm a bit on the thin side, 5'10" and 140 lb. At present, my Nightster has had no mods to the fork, and it seems to be worn after 20K miles. The rear shocks I replaced at about 5K miles with made-to-order Hagons. They're fine, but I'm very excited about the new Ricor shocks along with the Intiminators and new fork springs.

What I'm thinking of doing is replacing the fork stanchions with those meant for the 1200C or 1200R. I found them at J&P for $204. I want to do this to increase ground clearance, seat height, and hopefully fork travel. My question is: If I decide to do this, what other components must I replace?

I understand that this is a much bigger job than just dropping in the Intiminators, Works springs and some new oil. Has anyone ever done this to an N? I must admit that I didn't spend all day and night searching for a thread on this, but I could not find one. Hopefully I can get all of this together and install a solution before the Revenge Run 2, which I'll be riding!
SE A/C, Rinehart by Bub 2-into-1, Dynojet Power Commander III, custom tune. Superbrace. Long damper tubes, Works dual-rate fork springs and Intiminators. Ricor shocks, Mustang seat. Engine guard with footpegs. Added taillight/fender license plate mount. Saddlebag supports, sissy bar, (sometimes with luggage rack), and windshield when it's cold.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by seraphan6; 2nd April 2011 at 22:53.. Reason: reduce spacing
Old 2nd April 2011
XLF LIFEMEMBER Im retired

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I want to do this to increase ground clearance
Totally agree here. Easy work with Harleys Service Manual.

You'll need a tool for the fork seals. Here's what I made using PVC DWV pipe:

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Old 3rd April 2011
Biker

johnnys5 is an unknown quantity at this point

I posted a thread about those cartridges today as well. Interested to see what works tells you
Old 3rd April 2011
Know It All

seraphan6 is a jewel in the roughseraphan6 is a jewel in the roughseraphan6 is a jewel in the roughseraphan6 is a jewel in the roughseraphan6 is a jewel in the roughseraphan6 is a jewel in the roughseraphan6 is a jewel in the roughseraphan6 is a jewel in the roughseraphan6 is a jewel in the roughseraphan6 is a jewel in the roughseraphan6 is a jewel in the rough

Is it possible I'll need to replace the front brake line, clutch cable, throttle cables, or any wiring if I move to longer (Roadster/Custom) fork stanchions? What about the damper tubes and other fork internals? I've read the famous 1st and 2nd Seven Pages, but I still feel like I don't know much. I guess I'll reread them and hope for better retention and comprehension on the 2nd go.
Old 3rd April 2011
Land Speed Record

Unbalanced is a jewel in the roughUnbalanced is a jewel in the roughUnbalanced is a jewel in the roughUnbalanced is a jewel in the roughUnbalanced is a jewel in the roughUnbalanced is a jewel in the roughUnbalanced is a jewel in the roughUnbalanced is a jewel in the roughUnbalanced is a jewel in the roughUnbalanced is a jewel in the roughUnbalanced is a jewel in the rough

Brake line possibly, damper rod yes, wiring and cables would be unaffected.

My plan is to keep my stock tubes and lowers, but get the damper rod from the Low, essentially converting to the Low front end. Plus the dual rate spring kit and air valves in the fork caps. I might get intiminators eventually but I'm not that hard of a rider so I may be satisfied with just that.

Old 3rd April 2011
Land Speed Record

Unbalanced is a jewel in the roughUnbalanced is a jewel in the roughUnbalanced is a jewel in the roughUnbalanced is a jewel in the roughUnbalanced is a jewel in the roughUnbalanced is a jewel in the roughUnbalanced is a jewel in the roughUnbalanced is a jewel in the roughUnbalanced is a jewel in the roughUnbalanced is a jewel in the roughUnbalanced is a jewel in the rough

Those drop in cartridges look interesting...maybe a suitable substitute for intiminators? And you'd be saving some $$$ over buying the spring kit and intiminators separately.
Old 3rd April 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has a brilliant futureXLXR has a brilliant futureXLXR has a brilliant futureXLXR has a brilliant futureXLXR has a brilliant futureXLXR has a brilliant futureXLXR has a brilliant futureXLXR has a brilliant futureXLXR has a brilliant futureXLXR has a brilliant futureXLXR has a brilliant future

Rubbermount_EVO Works performance dual-rate fork springs 1988-2011 xl

I posted my speculation on this thread, same question.
Ricor test rider for IAS Shocks, Intiminators and Vibranators. Works Dual Rate fork springs, fork brace, Avon Venom X tires, loosen drive belt, and set frame rails level to floor. Read the "7 Pages of Suspension" thread in the Suspension Sticky Index to learn how to fix your suspension.
Old 3rd April 2011
Know It All

Thanks, fellas. Having had another look at my service manual and read the replies here, I think I'll just go with the Works Dual Rate fork springs with Intiminators and the proper oil for now. I'll add the Ricor shocks when they get here (probably after the Revenge Run). Moving to the longer fork tubes would require buying the damper tubes and damper rings, plus possibly the front brake line and some longer fork boots. When I figure out how much the MoCo is going to rape me for those parts (seems nobody else can supply them), I'll make my decision about how many $$$ a little more ground clearance is really worth.
Old 4th April 2011
Land Speed Record

Here's my understanding of how the fork setups lay out:
Long (Custom, Roadster) - Long fork tubes with long damper rods
Medium (Low) - Short fork tubes with long damper rods
Short (Nightster/Iron/48) - Short fork tubes with short damper rods

if you're not aware, you can go to the website of Ronnie's Harley Davidson here and use their microfiche to get all the part numbers and prices for the parts you need.

The damper rods are $28.99 there and the rings are $1.99.

Technically I would think you could use the short damper rods with the long tubes, it just wouldn't really gain you anything but altitude because your travel would be limited by the damper rods.

I'd love to see the Works cartridge kit work out, but looking at the pic I can't see anything that looks like a cartridge emulator (RaceTech Emulators, Ricor Intiminators), it just looks like a pre-assembled drop in spring unit with adjustable preload. I'm not quite brave enough (or suspension-savvy enough) to be the first guinea pig.
Old 4th April 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has a brilliant futureXLXR has a brilliant futureXLXR has a brilliant futureXLXR has a brilliant futureXLXR has a brilliant futureXLXR has a brilliant futureXLXR has a brilliant futureXLXR has a brilliant futureXLXR has a brilliant futureXLXR has a brilliant futureXLXR has a brilliant future

There are some links in "7 Pages of Suspension" that can help out. Keep in mind different part numbers for fork tubes can be because of exterior finish and single vs dual calipers. I think I remember the lower fork tubes are all the same length, different damper tubes and different length upper fork tubes, but I am not sure.

If you buy Ricor Intiminators and Works Dual Rate fork spring kit, they will fit in any 39mm fork set up you may want to try.

The Works website says the cartridge is like a gas shock. I assume it is a sealed unit inside the spring.
Know Thy Hog