The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
Motor Stage
Fix My Hog
Zippers Performance
Fix My Hog

CV Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th April 2011
Biker

swtch7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default diagnosing a potential fuel/relay problem

Hey Guys/Gals

I was trying to get some help on diagnosing a potential fuel problem on my 2007 EFI sortster 883. Its been sitting in the garage for about 1 year (started every 2 months or so) and no fuel stabilizer has been added.
Here are the symptoms.
-Bike turns over (Charged battery)
-when I would toggle the off/run switch I could hear a “clicking” sound.

I figured the gas gummed everything up so I siphoned it out, nasty smelly gas. I added some seafoam to clear out everything, then siphoned that out and added good gas. Same clicking sound.
I took the gas take off and proceeded to remove the fuel pump assembly out of the tank. When I would switch the off/run button to run I could feel the fuel pump clicking the first time….. tried cleaning it with more sea foam and toggled the switch again, this time to get no clicking or anything.
So, am I looking at a fuel pump issue or a relay problem?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 8th April 2011
Biker

I forgot to mention I did check the fuse's...I have not moved around the two relays yet...

I will pull out the multimeter when I get home this afternoon.
Old 8th April 2011
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
jguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nice

Having had a relay fail with no warning at all, I'd pull both relays then clean the contacts and put them back in. If the problem still exists, swap them and see if anything changes. If you can isolate on of the relays as bad, replace it but be sure to put dielectric grease on all of the relay AND fuse contacts after a good cleaning. The dielectric grease should help keep corrosion down.

One thing is for sure, it's easier to change the relay than it is the fuel pump.
Old 8th April 2011
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Softtail Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
psychodad1961 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychodad1961 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychodad1961 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychodad1961 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychodad1961 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychodad1961 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychodad1961 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychodad1961 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychodad1961 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychodad1961 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychodad1961 is a glorious beacon of light

Besides a click, you should also hear a whirring noise as the pump pressurizes the injectors. Once pressurized, the pump should stop, usually after 1 or 2 seconds.
Sounds like the pump is gummed up and trying to spin but not actually moving.
Old 8th April 2011
Biker

ok i took it a bit further. I removed the fuel pump from the assembly completely and hooked up a 12v source. It would hum but not pump any fluid. I had the pick up submerged in the seafoam in a bucket, didnt do anything.... except hum

bad fuel pump? maybe a rebuild is in order?
Know Thy Hog

Old 8th April 2011
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the XLForum.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Old 31st October 2011
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Hildreth is just really niceHildreth is just really niceHildreth is just really niceHildreth is just really niceHildreth is just really niceHildreth is just really niceHildreth is just really niceHildreth is just really niceHildreth is just really niceHildreth is just really niceHildreth is just really nice

swtch7, what did you find out about your fuel pump, what was the problem?