The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Lowbrow Customs
NHRS Performance
Lickscycles
Sky Smith Insurance

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd August 2005
Biker

PGlover has disabled reputation
Angry I need Advice!!!!

Hey guys,

I got an '05 sporty 883 Custom. Well, I installed new bars with internal wiring. When I brought it in for its 1500KM (Canadian here.) first service, the dealer came back and told me I broke the brake light switch....I checked the brake lights and they worked after I was done. After argueing with the guys that the switch wasn't located in the master cylinder, he looked up the switch housing diagram and found the switch. A 45 dollar part. I said, well OK, its broken so regardless of who broke it, order it up and replace it. I get the service done and while they have to bike in and working on it, I get them to install a new air filter and rejet the barb. (I installed the pipes myself previous to them completeing stage 1). I get the bike back and they tell me its complete. The damn bike is pregressivly getting worse and worse performance wise. Well they get the brake light switch in and install it, I pick it up and they tell me that the lower housing and the throttle set screw are now . I know I didn't have the throttle problem, because I drove it there and the throttle was loose, but now it doesn't return to closed position. I am SOOO pissed with HD of where I'm from, that after I bring the bike back today because it almost stalls while driving it, I may just trade it in on a Honda. There, I said it.

I apalogize for the stupidly long winded rant, but I am extremely frustrated. Thanks guys for listening.

Oh, I don't think there is any chance I would actually trade it on a Honda.

Last edited by Folkie; 30th April 2012 at 01:26..
Old 3rd August 2005
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLC
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GS 750 L
Other Motorcycle Year: 81
thatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud of

After that "H" comment all I will say is Welcome to the Forum.
Old 3rd August 2005
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster xl883c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
cutter has disabled reputation

Get yourself a manual and do it right (do it yourself). I hate when I pay for someone elses screwups.
Old 3rd August 2005
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Alasportster is on a distinguished roadAlasportster is on a distinguished road

I understand, and I won't say anymore. Oh, except welcome to the XLForum, land of the free and the home of the rant.
Dave '05 XL 1200C; '07 Gold Wing 1800; "07 Royal Enfield Bullett Electra X, with Cozy "Rocket" sidecar "The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity is almost always dressed in work clothes."
Old 3rd August 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
GOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enough

It is very easy to screw up the switch and the throttle lock gizmo when you change things out. Did you put a cardboard spacer in the brake lever when you took everything off? The purpose for it is to not screw up the switch.

And the throttle lock can get ruined when you re-assemble. It may not show up right away though so that might account for not noticing it.

First thing you need to do is open up the switch housing and lube the cables. It may be just that simple.

If you need to adjust your cables, GET A MANUAL! There's more to it than you might suspect. The two tensioning nuts near your grip are for fine tuning. If they have to be completely from scratch re-adjusted, which they may well need with a bar change out, there's more to it than just tweaking a couple nuts. You have to get the A/C off there and what not. Ask me how I know this.
Know Thy Hog

Old 3rd August 2005
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 04 1475 XLFU roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
TNsportster has a spectacular aura aboutTNsportster has a spectacular aura aboutTNsportster has a spectacular aura aboutTNsportster has a spectacular aura aboutTNsportster has a spectacular aura aboutTNsportster has a spectacular aura aboutTNsportster has a spectacular aura aboutTNsportster has a spectacular aura aboutTNsportster has a spectacular aura aboutTNsportster has a spectacular aura about

Find a local indy shop and make friends with 'em.

And welcome to the board! Hell, I think this board is one of the best things about owning a Sporty!!!
Old 3rd August 2005
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: FLHTK
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
GregD is on a distinguished roadGregD is on a distinguished road

Hey Friend,
That switch is a fragile piece. I took, what I thought, was the greatest of pains when replacing the levers to protect the switch. Got it all done and voila!! the brake lights worked from the front lever. A week later......it wasn't happening. Took it apart and sure enough the switch was buggered.
Ordered a new one and repeated the process....this time I was more fortunate....(or careful)...no problems in 6 months.

Just one of those things that happen.

The afore mentioned advice on throttle cable adjustment is absolutely true.

Ride Safe.

Greg....
Old 3rd August 2005
Biker

PGlover has disabled reputation

I apalogize for the "H" comment. I was a little upset. I mean, dont' get me wrong. I LOVE my sporty, I just feel like I am getting F#$%ed around by the stealership right now. I will be getting a manual and doing all the work myself from here on in. Now the bike is running like crap and I gotta try to figure out why. I guess the first place I'll look is at the plugs, make sure I didn't leave the choke on and bung those things up. Anyway, I have the throttle repair paid for, just waiting for the parts to arrive. First when I got the sport, they dealership was awesome, but now, everytime they fix one thing, they another. I'm going to pull the filter off and check it also.

Last edited by Folkie; 30th April 2012 at 01:28..
Old 3rd August 2005
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLC
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GS 750 L
Other Motorcycle Year: 81
thatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud of

No prob. As for the "H" comment, were you looking at an Accord, or the Civic?
Old 3rd August 2005
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
Schmidtrock has a spectacular aura aboutSchmidtrock has a spectacular aura aboutSchmidtrock has a spectacular aura aboutSchmidtrock has a spectacular aura aboutSchmidtrock has a spectacular aura aboutSchmidtrock has a spectacular aura aboutSchmidtrock has a spectacular aura aboutSchmidtrock has a spectacular aura aboutSchmidtrock has a spectacular aura aboutSchmidtrock has a spectacular aura aboutSchmidtrock has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatbikerguy
No prob. As for the "H" comment, were you looking at an Accord, or the Civic?

Rest in Peace my brother XLinAL Richard Martin.
June 6, 1966 - April 29, 2012
<----------------->
Know Thy Hog