The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
black pearl (70), SDREDD (53), pig (51), BonRu (49), cbass (41), ssm7530 (39), SxysCowboy (31)
S&S Cycle
Motor Stage
Get Lowered
Burly

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th April 2011
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: 1978 FLH Shovelhead
waza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura about

those are some nice pics of ya'lls bikes & great tales.

Any others out there?
Old 19th April 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice

What happened to your original exhaust for the bike, you had the factory duals on the bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smerch View Post
I fronted an Army buddy $500 so he could buy a new '76 Sporty. As interest, he let me ride it now and then. I was hooked.

I bought mine new in April of '79.

Here it is, the day I bought it with 9 miles on the clock.

This is from last fall. 31 years later with 18,560 miles on it (gulp!).

Still runs great. I, however, lost half a bushel of hair and gained 90 lbs. somewhere along the way.
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Arial"][FONT="Arial"][FONT="Arial"][/FONT][FONT="Arial"][/FONT][FONT="Fixedsys"][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]2004 883 custom, softail heritage handlebars, spoked dyna rear wheel, 1200c stock rear pulley, softail deluxe rear lights, dyna 10row oil cooler, shovelhead hard saddlebags with roadking air shocks. A few splashes of bling here and there.

My Gallery: [COLOR="MediumTurquoise"][URL="http://xlforum.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=2447"]http://xlforum.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=2447[/URL][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]
Old 19th April 2011
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
1979ironhead will become famous soon enough1979ironhead will become famous soon enough1979ironhead will become famous soon enough1979ironhead will become famous soon enough1979ironhead will become famous soon enough1979ironhead will become famous soon enough1979ironhead will become famous soon enough1979ironhead will become famous soon enough

If you really want an original exhaust:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/harle...item2310118051

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Exhau...item3cb729b1b9

Darn things are heavy though.
Old 19th April 2011
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Softail
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Smerch is a name known to allSmerch is a name known to allSmerch is a name known to allSmerch is a name known to allSmerch is a name known to allSmerch is a name known to allSmerch is a name known to allSmerch is a name known to allSmerch is a name known to allSmerch is a name known to allSmerch is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66impala View Post
What happened to your original exhaust for the bike, you had the factory duals on the bike.
It's in my garage, coated in wax.

Old 19th April 2011

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by waza View Post
For a bike that was shunned by so many for lack of interchangable parts (not really accurate) There seems to be many owned by those on this site. How many here? Please post your '79 pick & story!!

I bought mine as a backet case with matching numbers. It was missing most of the tranny and all the tin except the tanks. The motor looked low milage and proved to be. I rebuilt everything, then recently stripped it down to a flat tracker. Engine is built up a bit. Here are some pics (I never pass a chance to post this)

Before

Current

More mods currently being developed
Oh, you need one of these on your putt
Know Thy Hog

Old 19th April 2011
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: SPORTSTER
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
WhiteyFord is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is my 79 with a rigid tail and my 62 ford

Old 19th April 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL350
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of

Some nice Sportsters on this thread! Nothing wrong with a '79 - they're a little different in a couple spots, but they make great cafe racers, and as I now see, great flat track-style bikes.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it (especially if you don't know what you're doing). Most Sportster problems are owner-induced.
Old 19th April 2011
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Other Motorcycle Model: 1978 FLH Shovelhead
waza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura aboutwaza has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fehd View Post
Oh, you need one of these on your putt
I noticed that before, nice pipe. I went thru two sets of pipes to get them cut down to the right length for tuning.

How does yours run with that pipe and what other mods are you running?
Old 19th April 2011

78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about

Those are some nice looking sportsters, i'm not done with mine. (Yet)[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 19th April 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1000 Sportster
MrWoo is an unknown quantity at this point

This is my '79 sportster, with any luck she'll be finished up in about a month.....
Know Thy Hog