The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Foxcreek Leather  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
hawkeye (66), Rigpa (46), petersca (35)
Sky Smith Insurance
Foxcreek Leather
Energy One Clutches
Lowbrow Customs

Speedway Instruments

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th April 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
Other Motorcycle Model: Electraglide Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
bobzimm is on a distinguished roadbobzimm is on a distinguished road
Default clicking starter relay

Put the 1980 away on the tender all winter and went to start it the other day and it cranked over once and then just clicked. have a new battery good relay and new solonoid ,I have cleaned all connections and still clicks. I am sure it is the relay clicking and not the solonoid or cb's. what else could cause this?
Old 17th April 2011
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1995
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDBI
Other Motorcycle Year: 06
Horse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to behold

I know you said the battery is new, but have you checked the voltage? Not all tenders are created equal. I never keep my batteries on them constantly. I plug them in once a month or so if the voltage drops below 12 on the batt.
Old 17th April 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about

A new battery on the tender all winter ? It's probley toast.
Old 17th April 2011
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78ironhead View Post
A new battery on the tender all winter ? It's probley toast.
Why? What is different about a new battery?
Old 17th April 2011
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzimm View Post
Put the 1980 away on the tender all winter and went to start it the other day and it cranked over once and then just clicked. ...
Start with step 1 in this and see how far you get ...

Ironhead Charging System Checkout
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...ad.php?t=39146
Know Thy Hog

Old 17th April 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200Low
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki ZZR1200
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
patrickd is just really nicepatrickd is just really nicepatrickd is just really nicepatrickd is just really nicepatrickd is just really nicepatrickd is just really nicepatrickd is just really nicepatrickd is just really nicepatrickd is just really nicepatrickd is just really nicepatrickd is just really nice

I swap my tender from one bike to the other each week. They do not need to be on the tender constantly.
You did not mention whether you maintained the water during the winter.. Is it dry??
Try hooking up a set of jumper cables and see if it cranks over to eliminate the starter as a posibility. The fact that the solenoid clicks tells me it is working, but there is not enough current to keep it engaged. Check for dirty, corroded connections too.
Old 17th April 2011
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Rupp
gypsybiker45 will become famous soon enoughgypsybiker45 will become famous soon enoughgypsybiker45 will become famous soon enoughgypsybiker45 will become famous soon enoughgypsybiker45 will become famous soon enoughgypsybiker45 will become famous soon enough

Well before you go condemning the tender ,battery etc, get a test light or meter and make sure you are getting power where you want it. start at the end of the circuit first, the starter terminal,If it gets hot,then your starter is at fault.If that is dead then no power is getting to the starter from the solenoid.Solenoids will "click" and still not work. If there is no power to the stater,check the voltage at the solenoid.The top terminal is hot at all times when the key is on,the small wire gets hot when you push the button and comes from the relay.connect the test lead and hit the button, If the little wire doesnt get hot,the solenoid wont actuate,connect it to the lower large terminal,if it is dead, bad solenoid.
Old 17th April 2011
Chief Master Mechanic

gypsybiker45 will become famous soon enoughgypsybiker45 will become famous soon enoughgypsybiker45 will become famous soon enoughgypsybiker45 will become famous soon enoughgypsybiker45 will become famous soon enoughgypsybiker45 will become famous soon enough

BTW, the solenoid on these bikes is a GM /Delco style unit that has a history of very high failure rates,test this thoroughly!It will click and simply not work properly.
Old 17th April 2011
Chief Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
Why? What is different about a new battery?
New battery shouldnt matter versus an older good battery, either its good or it isnt, they dont require a break in.
Old 18th April 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
Other Motorcycle Model: Electraglide Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
bobzimm is on a distinguished roadbobzimm is on a distinguished road
Default relay clicking

I checked voltages with a meter and have found I am losing volts coming from the starter relay to the small terminal on the solonoid. 12v going in from main cb and 9v coming out at the end of the green wire to the solonoid, i am going to replace the crimp on the end of the wire to see if it is broken inside.
Know Thy Hog