The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bison Motorsports  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
texrex (62), jjluvstoride (49), njstoehr (38), tacho75xlh (35), 80ironhead80 (25)
DK Customs
Motor Stage
Lowbrow Customs
Foxcreek Leather

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th November 2007
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
CosmoTG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ribbed Primart Cover

My 81 primary cover has ribs (or fins?0 on the cover. My parts manual doesn't show any. Was that an option or is my cover a different year?...Cosmo
Old 16th November 2007
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

The parts manual shows 25424-xx, with xx being 80, 81; 25430-xx with xx being 81, 83, 84; some black, some polished, some aluminum finish.

I believe the ribbed ones are 1983 or 84 plus 1985.
Old 16th November 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL350
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of

I have an '83 XLX and it has a ribbed cover. The '83 and '84 XR1000 had a cover without ribs (with an orange and silver insert in that space). I looked in my parts book and the same part number is listed for both, so who knows?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it (especially if you don't know what you're doing). Most Sportster problems are owner-induced.
Old 16th November 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
wildmike_ftw is an unknown quantity at this point

My 81 has a black ribbed primary cover also
Old 16th November 2007
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 81 sporty
boilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmike_ftw View Post
My 81 has a black ribbed primary cover also
As does mine....

Old 17th November 2007
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xls 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
RcRacer has a spectacular aura aboutRcRacer has a spectacular aura aboutRcRacer has a spectacular aura aboutRcRacer has a spectacular aura aboutRcRacer has a spectacular aura aboutRcRacer has a spectacular aura aboutRcRacer has a spectacular aura aboutRcRacer has a spectacular aura aboutRcRacer has a spectacular aura aboutRcRacer has a spectacular aura aboutRcRacer has a spectacular aura about

My '81 XLS has a ribbed polished aluminum primary cover. My parts manual lists a black and polished aluminum cover for '81 and up. In the 1981 catalogue, the Sportster is pictured with the polished aluminum ribbed cover and the Roadster has the black ribbed cover.
Old 17th November 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
wildmike_ftw is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry misunderstood, I have a polished cover with black ribs.
Old 17th November 2007
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: custom xlch 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
ridged warren is an unknown quantity at this point

can i see a pic? just curious on just exacty what you're talking about.
Old 17th November 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
1983XLH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default XL Primary Chain Cover Variations

This is one mystery I do not think the 1979 to 1985 XL Parts Catalog is going to help solve. The MoCo may have the answer locked away somewhere, but how does one go about asking for information on obsolete parts for models that are old as 29 years? I would think maybe Willie G. could find out, but an ordinary P&A Division customer does not have a chance. So then what to do? There are a lot of books, owners manuals and original brochures out there with photographs of pristine Ironhead Sportsters for reference that may help (most photos are of the right-hand side however). Then there are the actual bikes that we the faithfull either had or still have, but how many of those had the original covers replaced with shiny chrome ones from Taiwan . So here is what I know for sure:

1. My 1983 XLH, which I purchased new in June 1983 and sold off in September 1984 so I could get a 1985 FXRT had a ribbed polished primary cover. My dealer convinced me to ditch the "girl's bike" for a nice new BT EVO.

2. My winter project bike, another 1983 XLH came from eBay with a chrome Taiwan cover installed. It has the ribs, but being a replacement aftermarket part this does not help. One of my project goals is to replace all the covers on the engine with polished nos covers. So the Parts Catalog said I needed a 25430-81 and that is what I sought out about 2 months ago. I found the needed primary cover as well as the gear case cover over at NOS Parts (Big $). I received a new looking, polished primary cover in original packing. The P&A label said 25430-81 Chain Cover 10/07/97. This tells me that as late as October 1997 the MoCo was still selling this part at its dealerships. I opened up the box and guess what - NO RIBS. After calming down and realizing that my restoration may not be all that perfect using the insert type on a 1983 XLH at least I had a real H-D polished chain cover in showroom condition. Another thing that bothered me about this part was that someone wrote WARR. above the label on the box. Was this a part to be used for an warranty issue? Doubtful, since these bikes were long out of any warranty period by 1997. Then maybe there is something wrong with this particular part that will show up months from now when I have all my work completed. It looks ok to me - maybe the original buyer was just unhappy with the polish job. It also shows traces of dye penetrant in one area, sealed over with the clear coat finish they put on the polished covers. Maybe the factory repaired this cover and then returned it to stock. Who knows where or how NOS Parts gets their stock. One last piece of info on this nos part - on the inside it says H-D 34950-73B and the markings indicate it was cast in December 1989. Does this make any sense to anyone? I think the part number changes when they add something, in this case the bronze bushing for the shifter shaft, but why the -73B for a part that is for left-hand shift?

Anyway, I know this is a bit wordy, but I hope some of you guys will find this kind of detail interesting.
Old 17th November 2007
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
scottgearman is a jewel in the roughscottgearman is a jewel in the roughscottgearman is a jewel in the roughscottgearman is a jewel in the roughscottgearman is a jewel in the roughscottgearman is a jewel in the roughscottgearman is a jewel in the roughscottgearman is a jewel in the roughscottgearman is a jewel in the roughscottgearman is a jewel in the roughscottgearman is a jewel in the rough

RIBBED for HER pleasure