The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Cruiser Customizing  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
qrtsteve (60), johnboy (45), bmonty72 (42), superscythe (41), grahamc (29)
Energy One Clutches
Motor Stage
Dead Creek Cycles
NRHS Performance Long 2

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th April 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
relbus has a spectacular aura aboutrelbus has a spectacular aura aboutrelbus has a spectacular aura aboutrelbus has a spectacular aura aboutrelbus has a spectacular aura aboutrelbus has a spectacular aura aboutrelbus has a spectacular aura aboutrelbus has a spectacular aura about
Default Stupid question...48 seat on an Iron

I feel really stupid having to ask this, but I am sure someone here can save me some time, so here goes...

Ordered a 48 seat for my Iron. There are 3 holes in my fender, one in the back that currently has the captured nut/screw, and is not being used. One in the middle, that also has the captured nut, that is being used to mount my stock seat, and then one in the front, that is under my stock seat and has a little black plug.

I need to swap the front black plug with the middle holes captured nut/screw in order to mount my new seat. What is the best way to accomplish this?
Old 25th April 2011
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 2012
Loner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud of

Not a stupid question
I'm not sure how the new bikes do it, but on my 2002 the threaded part is held in with a clip.
but then both of the holes on my bike are threaded so I can use a solo or two up seat as I choose.
Best advice is go to bike bandit.com they have schematics of parts for most bikes and that should give you an idea of what hardware you are dealing with.
Old 25th April 2011
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB350 Cafe Style
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
khaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud of

You can buy another captured nut or move it.

2006 883L
AN Big Sucker Stage 1
Rejetted Carb: Slow 45, Main 175
Vance & Hines Side Shots
Flat Track bars, 4" Joker Machine Risers
Joker Machine Speedo Mount
Speedway Instrument MicroTach
Mid Controls
Lepera Daytona Sport or Lepera Bare Bones Solo
Black Progressive 412 12.5" shocks
Progressive Fork Springs
Knock-off SE Fork Brace
Chopped Rear Fender
Custom Taillight

Ol' Greasy Karl of the Spirit Stalkers MC
Outlaw Name Generator

XLForum Business Card Template

BEFORE YOU CLIMB ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE, CHECK THAT THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE HANDLEBAR TO THE SEAT IS NEITHER TOO TIGHT NOR TOO LOOSE.
Old 25th April 2011
Biker

relbus has a spectacular aura aboutrelbus has a spectacular aura aboutrelbus has a spectacular aura aboutrelbus has a spectacular aura aboutrelbus has a spectacular aura aboutrelbus has a spectacular aura aboutrelbus has a spectacular aura aboutrelbus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaskins View Post
You can buy another captured nut or move it.
Yes, I figured those were my two options. I had planned on just moving it. Unless theres a reason why I may want to leave the captured nut there? How do I move it?

Do I have to jack the bike up in order to get some room between the tire and the fender? Remove fender? Whats the best way?
Old 25th April 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Iron
W8ENN is an unknown quantity at this point

Jack up the rear, take the circlip off and move it. You'll need to order an extra blanking plug from Harley if you want them to match.
Know Thy Hog

Old 26th April 2011
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200V
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C … long gone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDB … gone!
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

You need a long zip tie. The longer the better. Thread it up from under the fender and through the nut. Grab the end of the zip tie that's come through the nut, and slide the clip off. Then use the zip tie to lower the nut out between the tyre and the fender.

Reverse the operation at the new nut position.
'The green machine'
Old 28th April 2011
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
You need a long zip tie. The longer the better. Thread it up from under the fender and through the nut. Grab the end of the zip tie that's come through the nut, and slide the clip off. Then use the zip tie to lower the nut out between the tyre and the fender.

Reverse the operation at the new nut position.
That worked amazing. Thanks for the tip!