The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Cruiser Customizing  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
seajay, Hugh Betcha (68), jimhd89 (65), JayFL459 (65), Big Al (58), dakota_dj (57), 10walt (55), kiltbill (55), timsvalk (54), horsewriter (49), Benetampa (37)
RYCA Motors
Motor Stage
Sky Smith Insurance
Figure Machine

Superbrace.com

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th April 2011
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
tink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enough
Default oil line replacement

anybody give me the quick lowdown on replacing the oil line that goes from the bottom of the oil tank to the oil pump? what kind of clamps to use? is there an easy way to get the oil tank line off and on with out pulling the tank?...thanks in advance
Old 29th April 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has disabled reputation

Best clamps to use are those that are designed for Fuel Injection Systems. They help prevent the clamp from cutting into the tube. Here's a link to what I'm talking about:
Amazon.com: 10 pack Breeze FI5PB Mini G Fuel Injection Hose Clamp Effective Diameter Range: 7/16" - 39/64" (12.5mm - 15.5mm) for 5/16" Hose: Home Improvement Amazon.com: 10 pack Breeze FI5PB Mini G Fuel Injection Hose Clamp Effective Diameter Range: 7/16" - 39/64" (12.5mm - 15.5mm) for 5/16" Hose: Home Improvement

Make sure you get the right size because there's not a whole lot of adjustment available.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 29th April 2011
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant future

Check out the pics in this Sticky ...

Oil Line Routing
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=920306

Also read thru the thread for more details on the routing.
Old 29th April 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Low/TTS/Gronked
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink409 View Post
anybody give me the quick lowdown on replacing the oil line that goes from the bottom of the oil tank to the oil pump? what kind of clamps to use? is there an easy way to get the oil tank line off and on with out pulling the tank?...thanks in advance
I used fuel hose for the vent and return hoses and someone here recommended automotive transmission oil cooler hose, that's what I used for the suction. It has a little more rigidity, I was concerned at how soft the fuel hose was and didn't want to risk hose collapse on the suction side. Probably never would, but why take the chance.

I used the spring type clamps on mine, the kind you get with an automotive fuel filter. Didn't know if they would be adequate, but I've got a couple hundred miles on now and they are just fine, no leaks and they settle in quite nicely after a few heat cycles. I also like the looks, very basic and maybe a little vintage looking.
Old 29th April 2011
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007Low View Post
I used fuel hose for the vent and return hoses and someone here recommended automotive transmission oil cooler hose, ...
The original hoses are 5/8 OD for the oil lines and 1/2 OD for the vent. Automotive hose is typically larger OD and are more difficult to run thru tight spots without kinking.

When i asked for hose by both ID and OD at an automotive parts shop, the counter guy actually squeezed the hose a little while measuring it to show me that it was OK.

So i always buy from my local indie bike shop. I always get the right stuff there.
Know Thy Hog

Old 29th April 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Low/TTS/Gronked
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice

Yeah we're kind of out in the sticks here, and don't have many resources available to us, especially in the way of Indies. So we're at the mercy of the hardware store in town and the automotive parts shop two towns away and 70 miles to the nearest dealer.

I've not had very good luck at the dealer, pretty frustating when you get there and the part they ordered in for you is aftermarket, when they told you it would be OEM.

But I was able to find the correct OD hoses and had no troubles with routing and clearance. Sure would be nice to have a capable Indy though.

My bike had the original hoses and clamps on it and they were all seeping a little bit. But I have to say that's not bad for 36 years and 30,000 miles.
Old 29th April 2011
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH/I.R.C. Special
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Ivan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really nice
Default I use 3/8" braided line on EVERYTHING...

...Oil tank, oil cooler, remote filter & gas tank.
You want high flow/low restriction.
The braiding is that extra layer of protection from sharp edges and heat.
Besides, using the same line size meanbs you only have to carry ONE piece of spare line, along with a brass connector/splice & extra clamps, in your tool bag for roadside repairs.

Learn to think how the earliest bikers did, before cell phones & "chase vehicles" --- simplicity, common sense & ease of maintenance.
Old 1st May 2011
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
tink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enough

heres a quick question that might be related if i over filled the oil tank by about 1/2-1/4 of a quart where if it was going to leak out, would it be comming out? this is an 81 btw
Old 1st May 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink409 View Post
heres a quick question that might be related if i over filled the oil tank by about 1/2-1/4 of a quart where if it was going to leak out, would it be comming out? this is an 81 btw
Should have an overflow tube where the excess will blow out once it's warmed up. If you realize that it's over filled you can also take a Turkey Baster, put a rubber tube on the end of it, and just suck the excess out.