The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Biltwell
Superbrace
DK Customs
BIKE BUILDER

Superbrace

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd May 2011
Flat Track Racer

kowboi has a spectacular aura aboutkowboi has a spectacular aura aboutkowboi has a spectacular aura aboutkowboi has a spectacular aura aboutkowboi has a spectacular aura aboutkowboi has a spectacular aura aboutkowboi has a spectacular aura aboutkowboi has a spectacular aura aboutkowboi has a spectacular aura aboutkowboi has a spectacular aura aboutkowboi has a spectacular aura about
Default Which cylinder runs leaner?

Front or rear?
Old 2nd May 2011
Assistant Administrator

Sportster/Buell Model: 1212 conversion/497 cams
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
xena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond repute

My front runs leaner than the rear.

XLF Rules/Guidelines

XLF Guidelines II
*¸.•´¸.•´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ (¸.•*´¯`*•--->Xena
1212 Conversion 10:1 CR
SE 497 Cams
Python 3 Slip ons
TC88A running Xena's Black Panther Map

My 1212 Conversion Thread
XL Forum Members Map

Old 2nd May 2011
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1992
Other Motorcycle Model: Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 1971
einheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really nice

the front.
Old 2nd May 2011
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Other Motorcycle Model: RD400, TS250 two-strokes
Other Motorcycle Year: 1977
Dave1200s is a jewel in the roughDave1200s is a jewel in the roughDave1200s is a jewel in the roughDave1200s is a jewel in the roughDave1200s is a jewel in the roughDave1200s is a jewel in the roughDave1200s is a jewel in the roughDave1200s is a jewel in the roughDave1200s is a jewel in the roughDave1200s is a jewel in the roughDave1200s is a jewel in the rough

Just for carb'd bikes, right?

I guess the fuel in the pilot and needle circuits has more time to lose velocity and maybe even see a level drop in the greater time it takes the front cylinder to pull from the carb.
I don't know if the slide moves much in synch with the pulses at normal operating rpm range and not sure how that would affect mixture strength, but I'm sure somebody on this forum does!
Good thing that the front cylinder gets more cooling air tho.
Old 2nd May 2011

einheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1200s View Post
Just for carb'd bikes, right?

I guess the fuel in the pilot and needle circuits has more time to lose velocity and maybe even see a level drop in the greater time it takes the front cylinder to pull from the carb.
I don't know if the slide moves much in synch with the pulses at normal operating rpm range and not sure how that would affect mixture strength, but I'm sure somebody on this forum does!
Good thing that the front cylinder gets more cooling air tho.
I have only seen it on carb'd bikes. Big twins and sportys both. one of the reasons the front runs hotter. Jim McClure ran a sniffer on a few of his gas bikes and noted that the rear had to run a bit fat to get the front into the 'safe zone'. He was also one of the first to play with angling the carb to favor the front to help combat a lean condition. The old Triumphs even favored one cylinder when they ran a Tiger head (single carb) and Amal/Triumph/Red Circle/Baxter had a special high performance manifolds that kicked the carb to the right.
Know Thy Hog

Old 2nd May 2011
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Other Motorcycle Model: RD400, TS250 two-strokes
Other Motorcycle Year: 1977
Dave1200s is a jewel in the roughDave1200s is a jewel in the roughDave1200s is a jewel in the roughDave1200s is a jewel in the roughDave1200s is a jewel in the roughDave1200s is a jewel in the roughDave1200s is a jewel in the roughDave1200s is a jewel in the roughDave1200s is a jewel in the roughDave1200s is a jewel in the roughDave1200s is a jewel in the rough

I hadn't heard Jim McClure's name in a while.
Some of the T/F Harleys actually have an air bleeder valve on the rear leg of the manifold to try and get the two cylinders at the same temp during staging! Since they're running multi-channel data-aq and that includes head temp's.
Old 2nd May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1200s View Post
I hadn't heard Jim McClure's name in a while.
Some of the T/F Harleys actually have an air bleeder valve on the rear leg of the manifold to try and get the two cylinders at the same temp during staging! Since they're running multi-channel data-aq and that includes head temp's.
I grew up around his shop and worked there when I was teenager. I had an old Virago he hot rodded that I raced at the dirt drags. I was 12 and it was so fast, they moved me into the 1200cc hot street class. He helped me build my first hot rod Triumph that ran on alcohol...it was a street bike! Had to use an HD trans because none of the brit trannys could take the abuse. 750cc pre unit with the heads flipped and the 2 932s could suck up small animals and children. Had to run a mag wheel out back because it would destroy spoke wheels. Used a rotary pump to pressure feed the top end with its own return line. its was way too much bike for the street (and me) and he talked me into selling it to a guy from the west coast when we were in Maryland at the track in 94. Jim was a cool dude....
Old 3rd May 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Low
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha FZ1
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
whittlebeast has disabled reputation

With the EFI bikes about 56% of the fuel comes out of the front injector.

AW
traction or wheelie limited acceleration, a sound that just drips testosterone or peace of mind that
everything is as perfect as you know how to make it.

When the racers get done doing the impossible the engineers get a chance to correct the errors in the model.

***My other addiction, running Megasquirt EFI ***
Old 3rd May 2011
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
flashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to behold

Wow, whittlebeast...there is a 6% difference!...you would think that Moco would have done something to address that issue. One cylinder running stronger than the other could not saying that it would but could put undue torque on the crankshaft. When I first got my bike I put X14iED's on it but then later after talking to Steve at Nightrider about the front cylinder running leaner I switched to AF-XiED's because they are individually adjustable and I was able to fatten up the front. Now that I have a Power Commander the situation is resolved.
Flash

2009 XL1200N Nightster...SE Heavy Breather>SE SP black slip-ons w/modified Cycle Shack baffles>Speedway Instruments MicroTach+>Super Brace>Kriss headlight modulator. Willie G skulls @ gas cap,derby and timer>Misc. black nut and bolt covers>Garage Leathers solo bag>Mustang Vintage 12.5" solo seat>LED taillights>10.75" RK air shocks>G2 Ergonomics Quick Turn throttle>Power Commander V>Giving 10R12 plugs a try.

76 HP X 79 TQ

Ol' Dirtbeard of the Cracked Craniums MC
Old 3rd May 2011

I figured that since the cylinders have their own injectors, it would be what ever the o2 sensor says it wants. i put mini squirts on my 81 XJ650 and the sniffer and 02 sensors both confirm that the 2 center cylinders need a little more fuel to help with heat. So they are tuned with a touch more fuel. 14.6, 13.9, 14.0, 14.6.....best performance and cleanest burn on the dyno and with the maps. i don't know if HD uses stand alones, but the 2 injectors should be independent of each other and flow should be separate. All this is based upon you meaning that the front gets 56% and the rear gets 44%....doesn't make sense if that is indeed what you mean. 56% of the fuel that pump is pumping for correct A/F mixture or 56% of the fuel that the injector can flow??
Know Thy Hog