The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Cruiser Customizing  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
DK Customs
DK Customs
Figure Machine
Dead Creek Cycles

RYCA Motors

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th May 2011
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
kokopelli has a spectacular aura aboutkokopelli has a spectacular aura aboutkokopelli has a spectacular aura aboutkokopelli has a spectacular aura aboutkokopelli has a spectacular aura aboutkokopelli has a spectacular aura aboutkokopelli has a spectacular aura aboutkokopelli has a spectacular aura about
Question So I need turn signals for the ironhead...

I am picking up my new to me Ironhead tomorrow from Tennessee. It's a '78 XLCR motor stuffed in a '73 frame. When I register it here in Kentucky, it has to be inspected by the Sheriff's Office, and they check for among other things- turn signals! The bike has none. I need to put some on it. After the inspection and I get it registered, it is never, ever, ever inspected again. I can rip the turn signals right off afterward. Heck, I can mount a unicorn horn on the front of it if I want, Ky doesn't care!

Anyway, anyone have a suggestion or lead for a cheap, easy set of blinkers I can wire up? they can even be velcro'ed on the bike, they don't care.

Here's a peek:

Old 5th May 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about

You can find them on ebay real cheap.
Old 5th May 2011
Oh $&!t, now what. . .

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Hugger/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 95
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 00
beornj is a glorious beacon of lightbeornj is a glorious beacon of lightbeornj is a glorious beacon of lightbeornj is a glorious beacon of lightbeornj is a glorious beacon of lightbeornj is a glorious beacon of lightbeornj is a glorious beacon of lightbeornj is a glorious beacon of lightbeornj is a glorious beacon of lightbeornj is a glorious beacon of lightbeornj is a glorious beacon of light

I've got rear blinkers if you want them. They're take offs from my 95. I can't help you with fronts, though.
Old 5th May 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
NYBill is an unknown quantity at this point

How about some of those magnetic trailer lights? It'll be ugly, but easy to attach/remove.
Old 5th May 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Does it require them if the bike didnt come with them stock? 73 had no signals from the factory.
Know Thy Hog

Old 5th May 2011
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
kokopelli has a spectacular aura aboutkokopelli has a spectacular aura aboutkokopelli has a spectacular aura aboutkokopelli has a spectacular aura aboutkokopelli has a spectacular aura aboutkokopelli has a spectacular aura aboutkokopelli has a spectacular aura aboutkokopelli has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fehd View Post
Does it require them if the bike didnt come with them stock? 73 had no signals from the factory.
Man if I could find some documentation on that, I'd be good to go. The deputy I talked to said HD's need blinkers for '68 and up...he could be wrong and think he's right, too. -If '73's didn't...then I wouldn't need them!
Old 5th May 2011
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
MikeLightnin has a spectacular aura aboutMikeLightnin has a spectacular aura aboutMikeLightnin has a spectacular aura aboutMikeLightnin has a spectacular aura aboutMikeLightnin has a spectacular aura aboutMikeLightnin has a spectacular aura aboutMikeLightnin has a spectacular aura aboutMikeLightnin has a spectacular aura aboutMikeLightnin has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, they have cheapo turn signals on ebay....LED even...and functional (I'm actually running a set).
Of course, you could always get one of them taillights that have turn signals integrated into it to keep your clean look...and have functional turn signals.
Oh....and '73's didn't come stock with turn signals that I'm aware of.
Old 5th May 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
SethS is an unknown quantity at this point

i would grab a couple of single bulb leds, you could mount them and not really ugly up your bike
Old 5th May 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
johnnyjellybean is on a distinguished roadjohnnyjellybean is on a distinguished roadjohnnyjellybean is on a distinguished roadjohnnyjellybean is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopelli View Post
Man if I could find some documentation on that, I'd be good to go. The deputy I talked to said HD's need blinkers for '68 and up...he could be wrong and think he's right, too. -If '73's didn't...then I wouldn't need them!
73 was the last year with no blinkers. Find him a picture of a factory brochure,
Old 5th May 2011
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 79
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha TX500
Other Motorcycle Year: 74
gungatim has a spectacular aura aboutgungatim has a spectacular aura aboutgungatim has a spectacular aura aboutgungatim has a spectacular aura aboutgungatim has a spectacular aura aboutgungatim has a spectacular aura aboutgungatim has a spectacular aura aboutgungatim has a spectacular aura about

I had to do the same thing to my '79, I used the mini blinker set from Ebay, $20 for 2 red and 2 amber. They are small and unobtrusive and look nice. I didn't have any mounts, so I just drilled some flat stock and screwed to the forks and fender brace. I think you can see them a little bit in this pic.

Know Thy Hog