The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Cruiser Customizing  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
black pearl (70), SDREDD (53), pig (51), BonRu (49), cbass (41), ssm7530 (39), SxysCowboy (31)
DK Customs
Figure Machine
Figure Machine
Motor Stage

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th May 2011
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
JBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud of
Default How to block of the chain oiler?

Alright, so after much speculation on the bike, wondering why I'm getting oil on my rear tire on the right side and keeping everything wet with oil, I found out it must be coming from this elusive "chain oiler"... I'd love to block it off and just lube it manually because I'm getting tired of wondering why my bikes covered in oil because I know I have 2 small leaks from the drain plugs and a small spot coming from the rear of the primary, I knew it couldn't be coming from these, and one less leak is well, just one less leak to worry about. If you could post some pictures of where this thing is and how to get to it and what to block it off with, that'd be more than great. I have a 76 Ironhead.
Old 20th May 2011

JBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud of

also found out today, ladies really dig older Harleys much more than any other bike it seems.. had a Goddess today talk to me about it, I didn't ride it at the time I saw her but she recognized me by my long hair and old harley d. but back to the chain oiler.
Old 20th May 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 74
Sportster/Buell Model #2: N/A
gunny is an unknown quantity at this point

1/8" pipe plug did the trick on mine..just behind the cam cover in the dead space before the chain cover
Old 20th May 2011
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
OlGrampy is on a distinguished roadOlGrampy is on a distinguished roadOlGrampy is on a distinguished roadOlGrampy is on a distinguished road

I think oil splatter on rear tire is just the nature of these old beasts. Any oil drip will head to the rear when moving. On my old Shovel, I routed the breather hose to lube the chain and still got oil spray on the rear wheel. My suggestion is to get a chain that doesn't need lube and take her to the car wash. I don't think this problem will ever be solved unless your bike is completely oil tight. IMHO
Old 20th May 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCR-1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sepixlh is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny View Post
1/8" pipe plug did the trick on mine..just behind the cam cover in the dead space before the chain cover
I did same... it's never good option to use motoroil to lube chain, I prefer to use chain wax. It don't fly all over the bike... wheels, seat, saddle bags, jacket, boots all oiled
Know Thy Hog

Old 20th May 2011

So I have to take off the cam cover to get to it? I thought it'd be behind the chain cover if anything, that's a quick on and off process...
Old 20th May 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get to it by removing the sprocket cover and the sprocket, just run a plug into where the little line screws in. Motor oil doesnt really make a good chain lube anyway. I know its tedious, but I lube with one drop on each roller at the links from the top of the bottom run of the chain with Boeshield T9.
Old 20th May 2011
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
tink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enough

what year did they stop making the chain oiler?? i wonder if my 81 has one?
Old 20th May 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Low/TTS/Gronked
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBGoode View Post
Alright, so after much speculation on the bike, wondering why I'm getting oil on my rear tire on the right side and keeping everything wet with oil, I found out it must be coming from this elusive "chain oiler"... I'd love to block it off and just lube it manually because I'm getting tired of wondering why my bikes covered in oil because I know I have 2 small leaks from the drain plugs and a small spot coming from the rear of the primary, I knew it couldn't be coming from these, and one less leak is well, just one less leak to worry about. If you could post some pictures of where this thing is and how to get to it and what to block it off with, that'd be more than great. I have a 76 Ironhead.
You can just turn the valve off and no more oil should come out of it. If you have an XLCH, look just below the oil tank, mine is a hex shaped block with two pieces of 1/8" copper tubing connected to it. It has an adjuster on top to control the oil flow through it, you should be able to shut it off there. If you have an XLH it may be harder to see with the starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink409 View Post
what year did they stop making the chain oiler?? i wonder if my 81 has one?
I believe they quit putting the chain oiler on in 1977, 1976 being the last year for it.
Old 21st May 2011

Yeah I've got a XLH was looking for something like that but couldn't find it, guess I'll have to take off the sprocket cover
Know Thy Hog