The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
patc, Camera108 (61), pbudrovic (59), gene04 (57), guvnor (50), jrogers329 (44), ksoggs (39), dmurphy68 (37)
S&S Cycle
Superbrace
Biltwell
Progressive Suspension

NRHS Performance Long 2

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th May 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron Head 1000cc
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
Other Motorcycle Model: Fatboy
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
TABER33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Front Brake Problem???

So i just got back from a little ride and when i pulled in my front brake was really hard to pull, like it was built up. after a while it went back to normal but now it happens every time i ride. any ideas on what it could be and what i can do to fix it??? thanks...
Taber
Old 26th May 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Other Motorcycle Model: FX
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
Mosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like your system needs a good flush. Might have some debris clogging up the pressure relief hole (the splooge hole!) in the master cylinder. If it was mine, I would dismantle the entire magillicuddy and clean the M/C, calipers and lines with brake cleaner or rubbing alcohol and blast with compressed air.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 26th May 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlx61
Sportster/Buell Year: 85
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xl1200r
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 05
Other Motorcycle Model: yamaha vstar 650 custom
Other Motorcycle Year: 00
mycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to all

at the very least flush and bleed with fresh brake fluid and see what that does. if it is still bad, go to rebuild mode of master cylinder and caliper. brakes are good to have and need attention when they get wierd.
Old 26th May 2011
JESTER Mafia-Hooligan Div

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
BWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond repute

Taber......... to THE FORUM!

As mentioned.....it's time for a good look. It sounds to me like the pads may be binding on the pins. Might be as simple as cleaning them and putting a dab of never seize on them.

Before you flush and start bleeding, see if you can get to the pins, and try a squirt of WD 40 and see if that helps. If it does.....you know where your problem is.

Stuff: YES
Old 6th June 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron Head 1000cc
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
Other Motorcycle Model: Fatboy
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
TABER33 is an unknown quantity at this point

So i figured i would bleed with fresh fluid to see if that was all it was first, i drained out what was in there and put fresh stuff in, but it wouldnt bleed. i took the hose off and found that the master cylinder isnt pumping anything through. does this sound like it would be part of the problem or a whole new one??
Know Thy Hog

Old 6th June 2011
Devoted Life Behind Barz

Sportster/Buell Model: Highly modified 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX H-D Street glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

Time for a master cylinder rebuild
Old 6th June 2011
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: SX 250
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph America
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Tin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud of

It is always hard to get an empty master cylinder to pump up after it is empty. Try a Mitivac bleed pump at the wheel cylinder to suck the fluid through. If your not in a hurry you can just fill the Master, hook it up and let it sit with the bleeder open for a few hours, Gravity never fails!! Once you get a drip going just bleed as usual.