The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Licks Cycles
Dead Creek Cycles
Foxcreek Leather
DK Customs

Dead Creek Cycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th May 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
73xlh is on a distinguished road73xlh is on a distinguished road
Default What oil for oil change

I have read lots of info on oil here but I am looking for a little more info.
I have a 1973 xlh that has 500 miles on rebuild and would like to change it.

#1 can i use synthetic oil now or not?

#2 my local stores have no 40,50,60 wt oils just 20-50 car oils
and 20-50 synthetic could I use these or order oil someplace.
thanks for any help.
Old 27th May 2011
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
piniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to all

You will no doubt get many different answers to this question.

I will start it off by saying you need to use Harley 60wt oil in both the engine, primary and transmission.

I would never use multi-viscosity oil in my Sportster.
If I were you and had no local Harley dealer, I would contact the closest dealer in your state and request the price to ship you some oil. I would be tempted to simply buy a case at a time.
That is my opinion on which oil a 1973 Sportster needs to be using.
And you are smart to change the oil after 500 miles since the rebuild. Don't ride it much more without changing the oil first.
pg
Old 27th May 2011
Biker

how about lucas they have straight 50 and 70 wt motor oil?
and they have primary oil as well 20-50 i think it said.
anyone use these?
Old 27th May 2011
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH/I.R.C. Special
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Ivan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really nice
Default I had a recent epiphany about oil...

...but first, please allow me to vent about reading YET another "What oil should I use?" question.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay now, let's move along.
After using NOTHING but H-D oil (60 weight) since '92, I've recently switched over to Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil.
I was clued in to this by friends who ride IHs & shovels --- they explained about how it's got the zinc additives that pushrod engines require.
The only place I can find it locally & on a steady basis is Autozone, but JEGS sells it if that's the way you've got to go.
At Autozone, the counter guy told me that the only people buying it are Harley riders, so they know their customers.
The stuff is GREAT.
Old 27th May 2011

piniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to all

What part of the country do you live in?
You could use 50wt in the cooler months and 70wt in the summer in Arizona or Texas, but 60wt is still the best choice.

I also forgot to note in my last post that I would not pour in Synthetic oil over the engine oil now in the bike.
I am uncertain how these oils would react to each other.
May or may not be OK, I just don't know myself.
pg
Know Thy Hog

Old 27th May 2011

HA-HA-HA!
Ivan..... You feel better now I bet!
pg
Old 27th May 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead XLT Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBX 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
ericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to all

Years ago in Southern Cal when my '77 XLCH was new, I ran HD 60wt in engine and trans. Never had a bit of trouble in the 2 years I owned that bike.

Here in the PNW where it's much cooler (Goddamn freezing most of the time!!!) I run HD 50wt in the summer and 20-50 in the winter. I don't ride much in the winter but like the lighter oil for better startup and oiling when it's in the 40's.

Eric
1978 Anniversary Edition XLH. Wiseco 10:1 forged pistons, Andrews R5 cams, dual plugged heads with Super Port Flow, single fire ignition, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, Jagg oil cooler, '73 gauges, kickstart, Barnett kevlar clutch, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks, all-Andrews tranny. 1977 XLT, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, tapered dual exhausts, Andrews Y cams, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks.
Old 27th May 2011
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
OlGrampy is an unknown quantity at this point

My HD manual suggests 70 for my locale. What I do know is that oil has a SAE rating. So, I am goimg to check the rating on HD or other "motorcycle" oils and compare them with the ratings on other oils. Reason being, is that if you by a case, it is generally less expensive. And if Pennzoil or whatever has the same rating as HD, Drag Spec, or whatever, why pay the difference? However, I do believe in putting non-ethanol gas in my machine.
Old 27th May 2011
Biker

I am from Michigan.
I looked at auto zone but must have missed it,the web site shows they stock
Valvoline VR1 50wt
I will have to check with them if they can get the 60wt
also I take it the 60wt would work for the primary also?
Old 27th May 2011
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
joey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the rough

yeah u can use motor oil in the primary im still a little lost on that one myself i used rev tech primary oil and didnt like what i got in return with the cluch so i drained it and filled her uo w/20w50 seems better.. prob. just a good idea to change the primary oil with every other motor oil change
Know Thy Hog